How do you keep your kitchen knife sharp?

Limit_hex

Newly Enlightened
Spyderco Sharpmaker here too. Works great, but I would like to learn stones, for the art of it.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The key is to hone often and sharpen rarely

And to stay away from these modern super steels that are harder to sharpen, requiring diamond stones. Once you get to 4%> Vanadium you need to use a Diamond stone.

And new sharpeners tend to want to go with higher grits. 500 is where the magic happens.

The Hawk

Enlightened
I bought myself a Worksharp knife and tool sharpener a few years ago. Every once in a while, I gather our kitchen knives up and go over all of them. I am pleased with the results. I am certainly not a professional chef, so for what I do that works fine. Your mileage may vary.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Some I use a motorized diamond coarse/fine sharpener. A few very nice ones I use a leather belt sander w/ white compound.

Some of my common kitchen knives are carbon (rust) steel. Tend to be less of a problem keeping sharp.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently sharpened ceramic knives for a friend. Unlike conventional steel kitchen knives, where many people sharpen less than 20 degrees, here you need to sharpen about 35-40 degrees. Small diamonds or boron nitride 80-40-20-10-5 microns depending on the degree of blunting. The result is still worse than the factory sharpening, but better than a dull knife

About the wife, everything is right, so my sharp knife is in my drawer and only I use it. For the rest, serrated knives from victorinox and tramontina

Last edited: