How do you use the protected AW 17500 cells

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Joined
Feb 26, 2004
Messages
553
Location
Bay Area, CA
I got two of these and planned on using them in the 9P w/ a P91. Two problems...
1) it won't light up the P91. (People have already discussed this problem elsewhere. Too bad people didn't say anything before I purchased the batteries.)
2) two of these batteries are too long to fit in the typical 3xCR123 tubes... I tried them in the VG FB3, the VG 3x123 (old style), and in barlog 3x123. They're at least 3-4 mm too tall to screw the head down.

I'm interested in knowing how others use the AW protected 17500 (150S equivalent).


Thanks,
ernest
 

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
1,355
I just ordered some AW 17500's for use in my SL TL-3 because my Pila 150s' don't work in the TL-3 without modification.

I am currently using two Pila 150s in my Surefire 9P with the P91 bulb. They work fine but you need to double click to bypass the protection circuit to get the P91 to light. If you use the P90 bulb you don't need to double click. It works perfect.

I have just found that when I add the A19 cell adaptor to the P90 and use two Pila 168s batteries you do not need to double click. The setup works flawlessly. While I haven't tested the runtime I should get 25-30 minutes of bright white light.
 

Bullzeyebill

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
12,166
Location
CA
NotRegulated, you should get closer to an hour of bright run time with your Pila 150s' and P90 LA.

Bill
 

lexina

Enlightened
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
782
NotRegulated said:
I am currently using two Pila 150s in my Surefire 9P with the P91 bulb. If you use the P90 bulb you don't need to double click. It works perfect.

I have just found that when I add the A19 cell adaptor to the P90 and use two Pila 168s batteries you do not need to double click. The setup works flawlessly. While I haven't tested the runtime I should get 25-30 minutes of bright white light.

On the use of two Pila 168s, did you mean to say that there is no need to double click for the P91 instead of the P90? After all, there is already no need to double click for the P90 using Pila 150s.

BTW, does anyone know if two of Aw's 17500s will fit a 6P with an A19 extender?
 
Last edited:

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Joined
Feb 26, 2004
Messages
553
Location
Bay Area, CA
lexina said:
BTW, does anyone know if two of Aw's 17500s will fit a 6P with an A19 extender?
That's actually what I have. It's a tight fit. In fact, they fit so tight that I think it will probably damage the circuit in the batteries.


kungfuchicken, which bulb are you using in the M3?


thx,
ernest
 

NextLight

Enlightened
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
292
Location
SE Wyoming
Dukester said:
They work fine in the Streamlight TL-3...

They work fine in my TL-3 too.

With fresh SF CR123As, my brand new TL-3 is just slightly dimmer than my M3T-MN16 combo. I expected AW's 7-8.4V 17500 pair to make this worse, but with 2X 17500P (protected) the TL-3 is noticeably brighter. I expect this is due to less voltage drop under load.

While the 17500Ps are very happy in the TL-3, they will NOT light my MN16 no matter what I try. They do light my M3-MN10.

This is all too new to have technical details, but my TL-3 ran roughly 30 minutes during a 4 hour period, on brand new (zero cycles, 4.16V starting voltage) AW 17500Ps, before dimming noticeably. No load voltage was 3.7V per cell at this point, and the light output was just barely below the TL-3 with 3 fresh SF CR123As.
 

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
1,355
lexina said:
On the use of two Pila 168s, did you mean to say that there is no need to double click for the P91 instead of the P90? After all, there is already no need to double click for the P90 using Pila 150s.

BTW, does anyone know if two of Aw's 17500s will fit a 6P with an A19 extender?

I may have not been clear.

P91 bulb:
Using 2 168s there is no need to double click for the P91. It works perfectly but using 2 150s you do need to double click for the P91.

P90 bulb:
There is no need to double click with either the 168s or 150s. The P90 works perfectly on the first click with either battery type.


Also...AW indicates on his sales post that his 17500 is the equivalent to a Pila 150s. If they are the same size, two of them should fit inside a 6P with the A19. I am using two Pila 150s in a 6P with an A19. With this setup, the Pila's run either the P90 or P91.
 

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Joined
Feb 26, 2004
Messages
553
Location
Bay Area, CA
Thank you all for the info. I don't think I have anything that would work with the AW 17500P since I sold my TL-3 two weeks ago ;(
 

lexina

Enlightened
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
782
NotRegulated said:
I may have not been clear.

P91 bulb:
Using 2 168s there is no need to double click for the P91. It works perfectly but using 2 150s you do need to double click for the P91.

P90 bulb:
There is no need to double click with either the 168s or 150s. The P90 works perfectly on the first click with either battery type.


Also...AW indicates on his sales post that his 17500 is the equivalent to a Pila 150s. If they are the same size, two of them should fit inside a 6P with the A19. I am using two Pila 150s in a 6P with an A19. With this setup, the Pila's run either the P90 or P91.

Thanks - that's very clear. On the use of 17500s with 6P and A19, see vacuum3d's comment.
 

Latest posts

Top