How does sonicare battery charger work?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've had this sonicare rechargeable toothbrush for several years now and it works great. It recharges the battery when sitting upright in it's cradle and both the cradle and tooth brush are sealed in plastic with no metal contacts. When recharging both get warm. I have always wondered how it could recharge with no metal contacts. Any one know how this works? I was hoping it would break someday so I can take it apart to look but it's kinda expensive so I can wait for now.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wondered about that myself when I 1st got mine. To date.....not a clue.
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the charger is a step down transformer.
the primary is in the base.
the secondary is in the handset.
they are coupled magneticly when the brush is in the stand.
crude but it offers waterproofness and safety.the whole base can be potted so if it falls in the tub you are not likely to be shocked.
smile.gif

DaveH

Enlightened
Just so happens I took an old one aprt a couple of weeks ago because it wouldn't take a charge.

As said the base of the brush is the windings on a core, wires from that go to a circut board in the middle of the brush. A circut board has two AAA rechargeable soldered in to the other side.

A few wires from the circut board go to the top of the brush where there is another coil, smaller than the first, that interact with the magnets on the bottom of the brush.

I had hoped I could just replace the batteries, but no, the whole thing is sealed and potted and I ended up pretty much tearing it up just to get it apart.

That's kind of a shame.