How great really is the Thor (un-modded)?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen posts where the Thor is awesome and praised, and others where they say their smaller handheld 1MCP light is just as good...

Where's the beef?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $25, I'd say that it's a great deal. Great throw, cheap, lotsa wow factor. It seems to be great to me. In pictures I've seen, it puts out about 70% of the light as my Havis-Shields HID light. I'd buy it if I wasn't broke.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $25 it has 90% of the light output of an X990. Right now there nothing better for the the money.........

Mac

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I was Almost the proud owner of one (yellow body) until Jeff decided he could indeed get it on the plane going back home...dang. But in a semi-dark parking lot surround by tall condos in the distance (at least several hundred yards or further) it actually cast a slightly Better beam onto the outside walls up at the 25th-30th floor level of these condos than - Jeff's own Beast.

And this is a stock Thor, no mods yet.

But I just found out that the local CostCo now has them for a slightly inflated Hawaii price of around $28 (including 4% tax) and the best thing is that they're all black - hey, does "tactical" have to mean "concealable" or "pocketable"?

Now back to packin' fer SHOT...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds impressive, no doubt, BUT, I guess my concern is:

Is the Thor really that much better than the smaller handheld lights? It sure looks cool but if you can pick up a Brinkman Q-beam or simalar for 10-20bucks at wallmart that's a lot smaller, then is it really worth the extra size over other spotlights? ***Keep in mind I have no prior expereince to spotlights*** Is it indeed better than the other lights? Wiether it be throw, or sheer lumens (broader area)

prego

Newly Enlightened
For the price, you really can't go wrong. When you begin comparing it with other big lights that are 10-20x its price, then I think that's where your expectations of the Thor will fall short on.

If you're looking for the brightest $25 light, then my bet is it's gonna be the Thor.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe what I said above was a little innacurate but the x990 is brighter then the Havis-Shields HID and the Thor is definetly not as bright as the Havis-Shields. My all inclusive estimate would be that it's 75%/80% as bright as the x990. Nikola Tesla, I believe you have both. Can you give us a accurate figure?

Another light to look at would be the Husky 2.25 million CP spotlight from Home Depot. That light is almost as bright as the Thor, MUCH more carryable/lighter(in weight), the same price, and includes features that the Thor dosn't have(like a second worklight in the handle and LED battery indicators). One problem I have with it is that its battery life is only about 10-15 mins of really bright light, 10 minutes of quickly dimming semi-bright yellow light, and 5 minutes of light that dosn't do anything. But, overall, I would choose it over the Thor.

P.S. Mr. Bulk, that avatar is wicked crazy. I've never seen a cat do that before. Unfortunatly, I hear there are people who want it taken down or something of that nature.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thor is the best dollar for lumen value. Its a balance between throw and flood, its bright, it have a decent hotspot and decent spill, it has decent battery life, and for $25 its the all around cant be beat light. Its big and heavy but you have to counter the lumen dollar ratio somehow. to answer your question, the Thor is really great considering its price. If you dont consider its price, its not so great anymore.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so it does put out more lumens than the other handheld spotlights in the same price range. I understand now. I do think the Thor is a cool looking light (the black model esp.) I like a far throwing light, but in a big light like this, I don't want "tunnel vision" That's for lights with not enough lumens so they focus to a needle to make up for it. I'd like to see the whole "field" so to speak.

markdi do you have beamshots / a thread? I bet the runtime increases as well.

I'm really starting to consider the Thor Upgrade, as long as price isn't much past $40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

45min runtime is decent, but 20min of superpower should be enough time to get by as well. Does anyone know good prices other than costco and northern tool?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm....I don't think you can pull off a Thor HID mod for $40 . soory. That may take upwards of $200.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have compared the X990 to the Thor and I would say the Thor is about 90% of the X990 with the X990 in spot mode. Thats why I sold my buddy the X990 and now have a $30 thor.

Mac

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops....my mistake IsaacHayes.

cmacclel - That confuses me. My guess was going simply by pictures I've seen and it may have been the camera, but if you look at the pictures from the SuperlightShootout 2, it looks like the Thor does not put out 90% of the x990's light. O well. I'm sorry for my unaccurate estimates.

Well, I've certainly made myself look like an idiot on this thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif . hehe. I'm gonna go somewher else now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man i have to get me one of them .im inpresed with my spotlight and its just 2 million cp or 3 i forget its a vecter

java_man

Newly Enlightened
Don't get worked up over the candlepower rankings (Beam candlepower) the Thor's supposed 15 Mcp is highly inflated

Even with a generous 2,400 lumen bulb, a good reflector and a very tight 2 deg divergence, it would be 'lucky' to rate 2 Mcp

A safe assumption would be .5 to 1 Mcp for 55 watters and 1 to 2 Mcp for 100 watters ( normal voltage halogen lamps )

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
For what it's worth, my $25 all black Costco Thor appears to throw as far (or slightly farther) than my Havis Shields 35W HID. I know it probably shouldn't but that's what my eyes are telling me. The Thor puts out way more side spill. When Newbie gets his boost circuits made ($70-$80), it won't be close.