How hard is it to tear apart a Benchmade auto?

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

I know i can already here it, why are you tearing apart your benchmades? well i can take apart and fully clean both my benchmade nimravus cub( very easy) and my benchmade full sized grip. but i do not have the guts enough to tear apart my 9050. i dont know why but i have this erge to do so. so have any of you done this before? how hard is it? how bad do you think i will screw it up?

thanks!

DM

Last edited:

jds009

Enlightened
Re: How hard is it to tare apart a benchmade Auto?

you wont screw up, you probably break it though...ive half the way done to get my grip! but i think im gonna blow all that & go paintballin...

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

jds009 said:
.ive half the way done to get my grip! but i think im gonna blow all that & go paintballin...
NOOOOO dont you do it, you need the grip, screw piantballing:ohgeez:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Taking it apart is very easy. Putting it back together is the tricky part. It's not particularily difficult, but it'd be so much easier with a 3rd hand. I've disassembled/reassembled many plungelock autos (Severtech, Protech, Woodard, etc) sucessfully.

jds009

Enlightened

benchmade_boy said:
NOOOOO dont you do it, you need the grip, screw piantballing:ohgeez:

Nooo...im pretty sure were gonna go. i DO need the grip...but friends first...so by the way, ive taken my auto apart before...i could put it back together...but when we did it to my cousins...we lost a piece...:ohgeez:
DONT LOSE PIECES! their important!

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

jds009 said:
Nooo...im pretty sure were gonna go. i DO need the grip...but friends first...so by the way, ive taken my auto apart before...i could put it back together...but when we did it to my cousins...we lost a piece...:ohgeez:
DONT LOSE PIECES! their important!
no joke, i was reasabling my grip and a little(tiny) spacer went flying right into the trash can:ohgeez: a almost p!ssed my pants till i found it the fourth time of going through the trash.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

DONT DO IT...You'll be sorry.

If it has the slide-lock in the handle, there's anotehr spring in the lock, along with a tiny ball bearing (about the size of a pin-head). No one knows it's there until it's too late.

There's a spring under the button.

Then there's the main spring, which needs to be re-inserted under pressure, and anchored into the handle AND blade (which is the trickiest part).

I'd avoid taking it apart, and use compressed air to blow out the pocket gunk.

--dan

mspeterson

Enlightened

I'm definately with Dan on this one, compressed air is your friend...

cutlerylover

Banned

Its not hard at all, just make sure to remember wjhere the pieces go, take pics as you take it apart, that would help! I have also taken apart a MT auto, a protech auto as well as a few others...

knot

Banned
Yeah well, that isn't the most of it. My entire knife/tools/etc collection is gone but what stung the most was my Harley Davidson stroker shovelhead was stolen as well. There was less than a 1000 miles on the rebuilt motor that I rebuilt myself, except the lower end. By some miracle I got it back - in pieces and thrashed to hell. It was my custom pride and joy. It's been sitting in the garage for several years - a broken soul. The only thing worse than a thief is a child molester..well, and a murderer.

Last edited:

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Benchmade will not honor their warranty if you have disassembled the knife at any point prior to sending it to them. At least that was the case a year or two ago.