How many chargers have UL Listed Symbol ? Yours ??

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think many battery chargers are UL listed/safety approved.

Maybe this is something we should start paying more attention to for safety reasons.
Is your charger UL rated ? Wouldn't you want it to be ?

I have seen some with the CE letters on the label which I think is a certification code used overseas. The UL symbol is used for certification in the U.S.A. of electronic products and I believe it is a little more stringent than the CE certification standards. Since we demand this higher safety standard on our toasters and microwave ovens - it's about time we started expecting it on our chargers as a precaution.

It was hazardous enough when we were using chargers for NiCd and NiMh chemistries - but now - the stakes are getting higher with these newer Li-Ion chemistries. Lithium Ion batteries seem to be rather unforgiving if not charged on a charger that does it right. They can vent with hot gasses and flames like a small rocket engine and even explode if battery manufacturer instructions are not pretty closely followed while recharging.

Since rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries are so potentially volitile , I believe the manufacturers of the chargers shoud be required to get a UL approval before marketing their chargers to the public. I know it would make the prices higher in the beginning - but safe chargers are important.

It's time for all of us to check our chargers for the UL approved symbol . Some will say CE , but it's better if it says CE/UL on the label . Do any of them have it ? Go check yours - you really should know where you stand on safety.

I have 3 chargers for NiCd/NiMh - and needing to buy another for Li-Ion use . I am looking for a Li Ion charger with UL rating.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Of the 3 that I have now - 2 have the UL rating :

CCrane Quickcharger KC-983 ....... no rating

MAHA MH - C808M ..................... CE/UL rating

AmondoTech Titanium TG-2800 ... CE/UL rating

Can we start a list here on this thread of chargers ?

Both types of chargers - NiCd/NiMh and Li-Ion . All prices .

If you have a charger that has the UL Approved label -

Please post it in this thread so we all know the best ones to buy . It's time to think safe .

Thank you for your time & input.

P.S. : This one's for you SilverFox - thanks for the wake-up call .

Last edited:

Anders

Enlightened
Re: How many chargers are UL safety certified ?

MAHA MH - C808M has the CE/UL rating look at the AC Adapter.
I also have CCrane Quickcharger and here in sweden we have the CE mark on it.
Vanson BC-1HU CE certified.
Vanson V-600 CE certified.
Konnoc KCR-0328 CE certified.

DSD charger is not certified.

"
There is no "shall" in the US. CE is a European Union legislative requirement. UL does not hold water in the EU. In the US individual state or local gov'ts have requirement, usually based on NEC or UL standards."

"The UL standards for many CE marked products are harmonized with the IEC standards in the EU. If the product is CE marked, It probably will meet the UL requirements. CE is not recognized by US local agencies. They will want a UL label." http://elsmar.com/Forums/archive/index.php/t-7148.html

Anders

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are UL"listings" and UL "certifications";
the following paragraphs are accurate, in my opinion.
You are not necessarily getting a "safe" product with a UL or CE marking...............it may have been tested to a "standard". The LaCrosse BC-900 is UL and CE marked..read about it's "safety" in other threads. I have a Triton that is CE marked that I use RATHER than the UL marked BC-900, due to safety concerns, mentioned by our users. CE can be obtained in order to sell in Europe, there is a "process", not necessarily "safety" tested, per my customers.

LINK

The 'wall wart" is the power supply component marked in the BC-900; the Triton needs a Power supply.
I would venture that for most chargers, that is the norm.............the Power Supply is tested and marked; the actual "Charging circuitry" remains untested and as we know is designed with different charging parameters. (delta v, etc)

Just my opinions and one culled that I believe.

jeffb

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank You Anders....for your reply ,

I just looked at my MAHA 808m - the power supply does have UL - but the charger unit where the batteries go - only has CE on it. I would prefer both parts say UL - since the battery holder has circuitry in it also.

UL may not hold water in the UE - but I do think it holds water in the U.S.A. - for most buyers.

My Ccrane 7-years old , has no rating.

And "There is no "shall" in the US" - I don't understand your meaning.

thanks.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened

This is what I do for a living. I manage a group of Product Safety Engineers (and environmental) and have been one for longer than I care to remember.

There is no UL "Certification" there is only "UL Listing" and "UL Recognition". UL Listing is done for an end product, UL Recognition is done for components. A component having UL Recognition is by itself OK but place it in an assembly of other parts and that's a different matter. The final assembly must have UL Listing or all bets are off and you don't know what you're getting.

The CE mark for European products is a different animal but similar, depending on the product (like in IT, my industry) it may be the same standard with minor exceptions. I personally would not have any issues with a product that only carries a CE mark....unless the product comes from China. I don't say that to be aggravating but 30 or so years in this industry has shown me that many times a Chinese copy is just that, everything is copied right down to the Regulatory Agency marking. They never tste the product just place the marking as if they did.

So, it's a buyer beware sort of thing. Sorry for the long boring post.

Cliff

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification regarding "listing". My error.

I believe that reading SilverFox "sticky" regarding chargers
is a great resource if buying a new one.

"sticky"

jeffb

willchueh

Newly Enlightened

Two UL standards (depending on configuration of chargers) can apply:

UL 1310
UL 60950

The second one focuses on information technology equipment (whereas the 1310 is a broader, more strict requirement). Typically battery-specific lithium ion chargers for digital cameras/camcorder use this standard.

All Maha chargers sold in North America carry UL and cUL (Canadian) mark tested under either standard. There are two ways to submit the chargers for testing. One is to submit just the AC portion (for chargers with external AC adapter, this will just be the adapter; for chargers with integrated AC, it will be the whole charger of course). The other method is to submit the whole charger system (adapter + charger, if they are separate). Generally speaking, UL will not list a DC charger by itself as it is not explicitly covered in the scope of the two standards mentioned.

Here is a brief summary on Maha chargers sold in North America:

Charger+Adapter System Certification (UL logo printed on charger & adapter):
- MH-C204F/GT Series: UL 1310
- MH-C401FS Series: UL 1310

Charger Certification: (UL logo printed on charger):
- MH-C204W: UL 60950
- MH-C801D: UL 1310
- MH-C808M: UL 1310
(Note, for 801/808, the "AC Adapter" is more than just an AC adapter so it is considered as a charger).

Adapter Certification (UL logo printed on adapter)
- MH-C1090F: UL 1310
- MH-C490F: UL 1310

Many of our international models (like the MH-C204W) also carry regional cerifications such as:
- European Safety Mark (typically GS)
- Australian Safety Mark (typically RCM)
- Singapore Safety Mark (PSB)
- Argentina S-Mark
- CE
- Korean eK Mark
- China CCC
- Mexico NOM
- Japan PSE Mark

cheers,

William

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for all the valuable information. .:grin2:

This UL mark is more complicated than I first thought.

I do think it's wise to be aware of the ratings on our chargers. Especially be more carefull of the ones with no rating.

At least the UL and CE symbols give us some standard of testing to look for in our buying decisions. If a charger is without these important symbols - you should wonder why - and use it with caution / or not even buy it .

If it were not for these safety ratings and testing standards - we would all still be getting electrocuted by our electric drills.:drool:

Be safe out there .:grin2:

Lets keep the list going of commonly used chargers and their rating symbol - if any. .:)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Chinese-made AC wall wart power supply furnished with my Inova T4 rechargeable flashlight is UL Listed and bears 3 other marks, including CE, LPS, and CCC.

The wall wart may be detached from the Inova charging cradle which holds the T4 flashlight. The cradle looks to be made in USA, but bears no standards markings.

The UL marking is usually required for things that connects to the wall.

Many manufacturers go with the route of buying UL approved wall-warts to save cost in UL certification process.

willchueh

Newly Enlightened

As a rule of thumb, NEVER buy a charger with built-in power supply that does not have UL listing. UL has strict requirement regarding safety distances, fire hazard, and operator safety. Chargers built to UL standard is more expensive, but necessary to assure safety.

Similarly, don't buy a charger that has an AC adapter without UL listing.

However, also beware that now a days there are a lot of fraudulent UL logos. After all, it is pretty simple to print it on.

William

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

.:)
In post #2 , CPF'er "Anders" in Sweden , reported that the DSD chargers are not certified. I am assuming he means it does not have either CE or UL approval.

There is a TL-100 Li-Ion charger that looks like the DSD charger and seems to have the same features.

The TL-100 is available thru Tinergy / All-battery.com which is located in California,U.S.A. - They confirmed to me thru E-mail that their TL-100 charger is UL approved. ( Edit required )

Correction EDIT : . > Tinergy/All-battery.com incorrectly told me in E-mail that the TL-100 was UL-listed. As a result - I ordered it from them - Now that I have it in hand , I can report that NO PART of it shows "UL-listing".There is NO -" CE " rating either . It HAS....................... NO rating.
end of edit by TMG, 4/6/2006 , 5:45 pm .

The TL-100 is also available thru batteryjunction.com and they confirmed in E-mail that their version is only CE rated and did not have the UL approval symbol.

Just something to think about .................... and be safe

TMG
:)

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How many chargers have UL Listed Symbol ?

The amondotech.com / Titanium , TG-3000 / 2-bay NiMh/NiCd charger

Is - CE/UL listed

It charges - AA , AAA , C , D and 9v. NiMh/NiCd batteries.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received a DSD Li-Ion charger. I can now report that it DOES NOT have a "UL-Listed" sticker or mark on any part of it .

It has NO rating on it at all .

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the wall-wart intended for use in North America? A lot of the AC adapters that I've seen for the DSD chargers seem to have the type C 2-pin plug that is common on the European continent along with a 2 blade adapter for North American/Japan AC outlets. If the adapter was never intended for use in North America, there would be no reason to seek a UL mark of any kind.

UL does not have anything to do with low-voltage DC devices, so you shouldn't expect to find anything on the charger itself.

TooManyGizmos said:
I received a DSD Li-Ion charger. I can now report that it DOES NOT have a "UL-Listed" sticker or mark on any part of it .

It has NO rating on it at all .

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brighteyez said:
UL does not have anything to do with low-voltage DC devices, so you shouldn't expect to find anything on the charger itself.

True, I agree
Just look at your cell phone for instance. Most of those are now li-ion and the charging circuit is in the phone. Your cell phones don't have a UL stamp, the battery may have a CE certification. The wall-wart is the only component that connects to and uses line power (110 AC or above) and thus it should have a CE and/or UL stamp. If you are really worried about using a non UL approved device than make sure you only plug it into circuit that is on an Arch-Fault breaker (not to be confused with a GFI circuit, that will do nothing unless you drop it in water)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well................I'm just trying to not end up with a hazardous charger that was built with no safety standards and improper internal protection circuits and then imported into the U.S.A. without being examined and tested by some organization set up for the purpose of protecting us from faulty and hazardous goods .

I don't have the electronics knowledge or testing apparatus needed - so I have to rely on someone smarter than me to try and maintain some degree of safety standard we can all LIVE with and not get burned up... ..thats all.

I'm hoping for more * UL- Listings* on our chargers so we don't wind up in the " burn-unit " for an extended stay .

.:grin2:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I purchased a DSD charger (and as stated, the charger does not have an agency rating). Has anyone seen a 5.5 V, approx 350ma UL listed wal wart for it ? I am using it for RCR2, so I don't want a high charge rate. Slow is ok.

willchueh

Newly Enlightened

As an active participant in this industry, I would advise not to buy any AC power supply without UL approval. The only reason UL is skipped is for cost saving purpose. UL require certain type of flammability rating on PCB and plastic, structural integrity, safety distances, safety interlocks, etc. They can make a product much more costly to manufacture.

Remember, a CE is a "self-declared" certification with no specific issuing body. Therefore CE mark does not come close to the level of testing and regulation by UL. In practice, a manufacturer can put the CE logo on their product with no testing whatsoever. On the otherhand, the use of UL logo must be authorized and comes with a listing number.

William

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

By the way......Brighteyesz and Morelite :

I have a recently purchased "Skil-ixo" Lithium Ion powered Palm drill with one 3.6v Li-Ion battery in it . Made in China for Bosch tool corp.

It came with a 7.0v / 250 ma charger . ( I'd call that a low voltage DC device )

Both the charger base and the drill itself have the " UL - Listed " round circle symbol on them .

I wonder why ?

TL-100 chargers (DSD look-alike) are being sold here in the U.S.A. by U.S. companys which have no UL-rating - actually no rating at all.

I would prefer that they did . I wonder why ?

UL helps me sleep better .:sleepy:

.:grin2:

Last edited: