HOW MANY FLASHLIGHTS DO YOU NEED?

CHNeal

Enlightened
Need? If I am honest and want to compromise 1. For a couple of years the only flashlight I used was an HDS and it did all I needed a flashlight to do. I have since started in on the speciality application lights and don't want to go back to the one but i know if i had to that HDS is right where I left it and ready to go.

chip100t

Enlightened
I have more than twenty but less than fifty.
And it bugs me I have so many sat not being used. I can never make my mind up on which of my "nice lights" to use so always revert to carrying my sofirn sc31pro because despite it being probably my cheapest light and I don't particularly find it aesthetically pleasing, I just find its ui perfect. And the fact it is the one I choose over ones that cost many times more kind of makes my wonder why I own all the others.

Last edited:

3oni

Newly Enlightened
This is an enjoyably tough question. :)
  1. EDC. Intuitive, does what I need on a day-to-day basis well and can flex into other roles if needed. Balances throw and flood pretty well.
  2. Headlamp. Almost all flood, and capable of going quite low with good runtime. This is my preferred format for hiking, spelunking, and camping.
  3. Power outage duty. Enough lumens to turn one large room into daylight, but also enough juice to run for a long time on a serviceable low level. For me this tends to be a large, heavy light, not suitable for either of the first two roles.
  4. Dedicated truck light. Has to be able to handle long periods of non-use, and have a good balance of throw/flood and low/high levels.
Beyond that, there are two more categories I consider near-needs:
  • Keychain. The only light I always have on me, no matter what. Needs to be lightweight and tiny.
  • Dedicated thrower. In the past five years, the only time I've needed one of these was for spelunking, but it's a category of light I always like to have on hand just in case.
So I guess that's 4-6 for me. Right now 1-4 are my Malkoff MD2, Armytek Elf, BLF Q8, and Armytek Predator. (I should probably replace the Predator with a long-running light fueled by lithium primaries, but so far it's been just fine.)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have more than twenty but less than fifty.
And it bugs me I have so many sat not being used. I can never make my mind up on which of my "nice lights" to use so always revert to carrying my sofirn sc31pro because despite it being probably my cheapest light and I don't particularly find it aesthetically pleasing, I just find its ui perfect. And the fact it is the one I choose over ones that cost many times more kind of makes my wonder why I own all the others.
I went through that for a while. Buying even more did not help matters. Your favorite is your favorite and often you know it is the first time you use it (but not always).
I just stashed the others at places like a shed, a shelf in a bathroom, one in the attic etc in case the favorite konks out while there. I have had on occasion the low voltage circuit of the battery of my favorite suddenly kick in and was glad the spare light was nearby.

ScottG123

Newly Enlightened
Everyone is clearly different based on their use cases. Here's why I've got - what my wife would call - a bit too many.

* Vehicles
- Regular PrincetonTec LED flashlight, plus Inova emergency flasher light(s) w/magnets on them; one set in each vehicle.

* Travel / Work backpack
- Streamlight 2AAA EDC light.

* House
- LED streamlight in kitchen just for utility and emergencies.
- Inova re-chargeable in office
- A CAT Cree type re-chargeable in workshop.
- UV light in workshop (for looking at glue squeeze out for woodworking; yes, that really works well.)
- Several LED lanterns for power outages (Rayovac 3D... GREAT little lantern.)
- One propane lantern
- One freeplay hand crank light.
- One freeplay hand crank light/radio
- A few cheapie Dorcy lights... one my wife uses; others for kids so everyone has their own.

* Rescue Squad Gear
- Surfire hazmat safe light. (for helmet or handheld)
- Streamlight angle head light (for turnout gear/coat)

* Flight Bag
- Headlamp
- 1 2AA LED light
- 1 Surefire LumaMax

We come out to somewhere around 20 give or take. All useful. All get used at one point or another. All have a use case. Could we get by with less? Of course. We could probably live with a couple of flashlights and a lantern or two. But it's much easier to just leave each unit in its place for its purpose.

Do I need another? No. So why am I on this forum today? Because I just kind of want to see what the latest is and maybe get just one more! : )

Lumen83

Enlightened
I guess no one "needs" a flashlight. But the point of this thread is probably to ask the question how many flashlights does it take for you to do what you need to do on a daily (more accurately: nightly) basis for work, pleasure, etc.

Here is what I would consider I need flashlights for:

EDC
Nightstand
Duty
Weapon light
Flashlight in every vehicle in case of emergency

That comes out to about 7 lights per day. Really only about 3 of them get used on a regular basis. So, the answer could be 3. But I lean more toward 7. Because the one you really need is the one that is tucked away somewhere for emergencies. It almost never gets used. But when you need it. You NEED it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
1…… nearby……everywhere I go so that means a few in each room of my home, 2 in each door of my car and truck (because 2 is 1), a few on my desk at work and just in case one in each of my trouser's front pockets (again because 2 is 1).
Some of my jackets have flashlights as well.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
1…… nearby……everywhere I go so that means a few in each room of my home, 2 in each door of my car and truck (because 2 is 1), a few on my desk at work and just in case one in each of my trouser's front pockets (again because 2 is 1).
Some of my jackets have flashlights as well.

You're too modest. Being the founder and curator of the Old Dominion Museum of Flashlight History however, you get a pass. Speaking of 'pass', let me know when you begin offering tours to the public and I'll book a flight! Talk about a kid in a candy store.....!

In my line of work that phrase you used is simply stated as 'n+1' (redundancy). That 'n' is important, because as I see it, that means I can always justify buying 'one' more!:)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My wife's boys used to invite friends over from time to time. (They're grown and gone now). Sometimes when a kid's parent would drop off their son the kid would invite the parent in to check out my flashlights. "Dad, you've gotta see this guys old lights……and they even work"…
I had about a dozen on display that were restored or still worked after all those years.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Well I need two edc lights in case one fails or I have to loan it to someone. The most important light is the one or one(s) you have with you at all times. Also serves as a nightstand light. I'd go with the tactical edc type.

Something is necessary for plumbing. A bright and versatile rechargeable light with long runtime on high modes, perhaps a side switch with magnetic tailcap. Also a good headlamp.

Two emergency lights, cr123 at home and 2aa in the truck. And one more in the single aaa category since those are just too convenient to live without.

I guess 7 isn't too many?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlight for wide dirt roads (narrow beams get you turned around on trails): Nitecore HC60 v2
Headlight for regular trails on long hikes: Nitecore NU30
Headlight for short trails: Acebeam H40
Headlight for camping and in town use: Nitecore NU20
EDC: Nitecore Tip 2
high cri edc: Nitecore Tip CRI
long running edc: Fenix PD30 R4 with 2500 mAh 16650 battery
aaa edc: Fenix E01 v2 (multilevel), Olight i3e Eos (single level)
belt carry edc: Nitecore E4K
Tactical light: Surefire 6PL (single level), Surefire G2X Pro (2 level)
SHTF light: Nitecore MH10 v2, 4Sevens Quark Pro 2A
hiking lantern: Luci Lux Pro
backup lantern: Nitecore 80 lumen high cri magnetic lantern kit (battery, light, usb charger, lantern)
camp lantern: Milwaukee 700 lumen M18 lantern
work light: Milwaukee M18 3000 lumen Rover Floodlight
thrower: Nitecore TM06s, 35 watt Power on Board H.I.D. Spotlight
So without duplicates for lighting up multiple areas and without loaner lights, looks like I can do with 20.

Limit_hex

Newly Enlightened
I think you need variations also for time of day, time of year, weather, mood. So take any list and multiply by maybe three to five (not trying to be scientific here, it's a new field).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One evening early in my flashaholism my son asked me to help him fix a leak in between his car and windshield. It was dark out. I started out tooth hold with a micrstream but drool entered between the rubber boot and tailcap and fried it. Zzzzt! Poof.
Next was a Maglite solitaire but due to regulation, when the battery got low insta-dark. I tried another light, then another and after the 5th light konked out I decided to use light from the all night generator, pulled out a drop cord and used a 125 volt work lamp.
So on that evening as luck would have it, 5 was not enough.