HOW MANY FLASHLIGHTS DO YOU NEED?

Wurkkos

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Seven

Magellan's 7-step process of light addiction and recovery:

1. Low priced beater for ordinary, not too demanding jobs such as a hardware store EverReady or Rayovac. Often plastic and I won't care if I drop it into my car or truck engine while it's running (except for the engine :)). Wife not concerned.

2. Medium priced beater, better quality and presumably brighter than the low priced such as a Brinkmann or Maglite LED model. Usually machined, anodized aluminum. Can usually survive my running over it in the driveway. Wife still not concerned.

3. Higher priced, high lumen output model for when you need good spill and throw from any of the quality production light makers (Nitecore, Fenix, Surefire, Olight, Sunwayman, JetBeam, 4Sevens, Thrunite, etc.). Usually aluminum but could be other metals but those are pricier. Wife starts to get worried for the first time.

4. One limited edition but not custom light (such as the Sunwaymans and JetBeams) to serve as the "gateway drug" into more expensive, high end custom light collecting. Wife gets more worried.

5. Moderate priced custom model for EDC and/or every day use and won't feel too guilty if it gets lost or damaged (many examples, take your pick). Wife now alarmed, knows something isn't right.

6. High priced custom model so that I can say I have at least one shelf queen that never gets used (many examples, take your pick, but a famous name with snob appeal is best). Often copper, brass, stainless steel, or titanium. Sells children to Gypsies to help pay for more custom lights. Wife threatens divorce, says it's either her or the flashlights. Hmmm....tough decision there....

7. One "exotic" such as a Polarion PH40 HID light so that I can say I'm truly a sick puppy. Wife files for divorce and I check into addiction treatment clinic. Have to sell all my lights on the CPF to help pay medical bills and cost of divorce. I take up e-cigs and vaping as a cheaper addiction to flashlights.

I have been asked "HOW MANY FLASHLIGHTS DO YOU NEED?" more than once, but never gave it much thought. My wife, neighbors, children, and grandchildren have all asked that question. After thinking about it for some time I came up with the answer of 5. Need and want are two different things. I have about 15 in my small collections but could live with only 5. Here is my reasoning: 1 for each car (we have 2) that uses lithium batteries, not lithium-ion, that would have many years of shelf life and be ready when you needed it and not requiring charging or care on a regular basis. 1 small light for edc and night stand duty. The type of battery used would be a personal preference. 1 mid-sized light that uses a P60 drop-in and lithium-ion or regular lithium battery. This would be the one you grabbed when looking for something under the sofa or walking the dog. It is also one that would satisfy the flashaholic since you could change the drop-in and the type of batteries used easily. 1 large light either flood or throw or combination. This would be the one that was used to light up the great outdoors or for emergencies. Back to the original question HOW MANY FLASHLIGHTS DO YOU NEED? If for some reason I had to, I could get by with only 1. It could not satisfy all the above cases but it would work. What do you think?

Last edited:

outdoorguy82

Newly Enlightened
I would like to have one of every light...but since that is not feasible both in terms of space and financial burden I would say that a minimum of 3 lights is truly needed. One for edc/general purpose, one for the outdoors (powerful and flood/throw capabilities), and one for emergencies....maybe a lantern or a light that does not use too much battery power.

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
How many do I need?
That is easy ............... as many as I can legally and morally acquire to satisfy my "geardoholic" addiction.
How much alcohol does an alcoholic need?
How much cocaine does a drug addict need?
How many shoes or handbags does a woman need? Sorry Girls
I have a serious geardoholic addiction with all things gadgety - Knives, mulitools, flashlights, etc etc.
I came to this forum to meet fellow "flashoholics" who understand my sickness.
For someone to ask this question or try to justify a number I would suggest they have been cured and should seek another addiction :thumbsup:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
LOL

I see you're in Adelaide Downunder. The wife and I are doing a cruise from New Zealand to Perth in February to March of 2015 and the ship docks in Adelaide. Anyway (and hoping I don't get in too much trouble with a mod for thread drift), any suggestions on any sights we shouldn't miss?

How many do I need?
That is easy ............... as many as I can legally and morally acquire to satisfy my "geardoholic" addiction.
How much alcohol does an alcoholic need?
How much cocaine does a drug addict need?
How many shoes or handbags does a woman need? Sorry Girls
I have a serious geardoholic addiction with all things gadgety - Knives, mulitools, flashlights, etc etc.
I came to this forum to meet fellow "flashoholics" who understand my sickness.
For someone to ask this question or try to justify a number I would suggest they have been cured and should seek another addiction :thumbsup:

Capolini

Banned
I need at least 18[I have 36!]. I walk the Husky 2x/day......7 days a week..............7 of those times at night!!

I need 2 lights/night X 7 nights a week= 14! Always have to have a backup and variety[different lights each night] is the spice of life!

Plus 4 EDC Lights! That is 18! :)

Ok,realistically I could get by on 5 or 6! :thumbsdow

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have four users. A penlight, a small 123, a midsize 123, and a big 123.

Then about 80 in the vintage collection.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
Capolini, you need 3 lights to properly walk a dog. 1 for general navigation - mid-size or smaller with a large hot spot and plenty of spill. 1 throw beast to see what's out there. And one flood monster to really light up what's in front of you when needed. I don't know how you've been managing with just 2 and I'm glad nothing has gone wrong so far. Shape up soon, please.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
Remember even with and endless pile of lights to choose from, you'll still only be able to check out a limited # of those at any one time. Hence (for example) no point in having batteries in all lights you own.

I disagree, this is exactly what I do. Every light I own has a dedicated battery/cell, or set of cells. It makes maintenance EASIER, not harder. And I don't worry about mismatched cells. For single cell lights, it isn't necessary, but for multi-cell lights I consider it the only option.

Honestly, one light could serve all my needs, but then if it failed, I'd be out of luck, and I couldn't loan one out when someone else needed a little illumination. I do have a meaningful use for six lights. A keychain light, two lights for at work (holster carry, one for me and a loaner), one for EDC off the job (pocket carry), and two for hiking (one thrower and one flooder). That would be the limit I would claim for reasonable practicality, if not actual need. Any more than that, and I'm just giving myself more options, not fundamentally improving the utility represented by the collection.

More important to me than need, is usage pattern. If I don't find myself using a light regularly, I get rid of it. No shelf queens, ever! They are meant to be used.

Capolini

Banned
Capolini, you need 3 lights to properly walk a dog. 1 for general navigation - mid-size or smaller with a large hot spot and plenty of spill. 1 throw beast to see what's out there. And one flood monster to really light up what's in front of you when needed. I don't know how you've been managing with just 2 and I'm glad nothing has gone wrong so far. Shape up soon, please.

I am in good shape! lol. Walking Capo 7 miles a day keeps me that way! At least physically. :shakehead

The TK75vn serves as that flood/throw light,,,,best combo of the Two. Basically like Two lights in One!

Even w/ my dedicated throwers I am constantly scanning the woods,,,,,,,,,the hot spot never stays in one place and is like a moving flood light!!!

I have been taking Three a lot of nights. I got the SC62 which is a very diversified light. 1000 lumens on high w/ decent flood.

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Its not your fault ruke,but i wish i had a $ for every time roberto had to answer that question :laughing:

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The carrier will more than double runtime due to less stress per cell,instead of 4 cells,with an ext kit its now 8 cells,so expect at least double,so with robertos it would be at least 104mins:thumbsup: more likely close to 120 mins.............

ruke if you have the tk61 too,use that carrier and body on your tk75vn and test,as depending on cells,depending on age/resistance over time,it varies .............no 2 are the same basically.

ruke

Enlightened
I have sony vtc5s in the TK61vn & efest 35A 2500mah in the TK75KT.. do you think it will be OK?

I have tried extending both the lights but never push them at all...

The carrier will more than double runtime due to less stress per cell,instead of 4 cells,with an ext kit its now 8 cells,so expect at least double,so with robertos it would be at least 104mins:thumbsup: more likely close to 120 mins.............

ruke if you have the tk61 too,use that carrier and body on your tk75vn and test,as depending on cells,depending on age/resistance over time,it varies .............no 2 are the same basically.

jdl2

Newly Enlightened
I Have the answer.

As my old friend, Ambassador Annenberg, told me when asked about how much money do you need? His reply: "Just a little more."

For us in flashlights, I say: "Just one more!"

Hope this is of some assistance.

With all best wishes,

RL

Good ole Walter was right about a lot of things. Same principle holds true for 1911s.

Capolini

Banned
I have the extra battery carrier and never use it!! I use Two lights[at least] for each walk now.

When my light was a STOCK light I remember getting 2h 54min. of run time on turbo minus the step downs. It is more than double because there is LESS stress on each battery.

Wild guess would be about 2h 10 min. for a modded light w/ additional battery carrier? Assuming they are 3400mah cells like I used. High drains are not necessary and give no benefit for this light.......1 emitter/ 4 quality 3400mAh cells = no problem sustaining output.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I have sony vtc5s in the TK61vn & efest 35A 2500mah in the TK75KT.. do you think it will be OK?

I have tried extending both the lights but never push them at all...

I would advise against using 2 lots of 4 different cells being honest,its not good practice............Chances are you would be fine as the tk75vn and tk61vn are not a high Amp demanding light and standard pany cells are fine to use............but i cant tell you its ok to do in case of any potential issues..........

Your better off getting another matching set of cells imho,with both lights as mentioned not being high A demand(around 4.5A iirc) 3400 pany cells would make best run time choice..........so 8 of those,also will be cheaper than the vtc5(rare and $$ now with lots of fakes) and no real benefit of 35A efest,better saving for higher demand lights like mm15vn etc imho or single cell vinh lights:thumbsup:

bubble

Enlightened
I only need titanium preferably custom lights, but any titanium will do.. that quite easy..

Ah... also copper.