HOW MANY FLASHLIGHTS DO YOU NEED?

ruke

just checked, 7 to 7.5A on TK61, since its a 2P2S so its only drawing 3.5 to 3.75A/cell..

on the TK75KT is it 4.4A at ea. XML2 or for all of them???

I would advise against using 2 lots of 4 different cells being honest,its not good practice............Chances are you would be fine as the tk75vn and tk61vn are not a high Amp demanding light and standard pany cells are fine to use............but i cant tell you its ok to do in case of any potential issues..........

Your better off getting another matching set of cells imho,with both lights as mentioned not being high A demand(around 4.5A iirc) 3400 pany cells would make best run time choice..........so 8 of those,also will be cheaper than the vtc5(rare and $$ now with lots of fakes) and no real benefit of 35A efest,better saving for higher demand lights like mm15vn etc imho or single cell vinh lights:thumbsup:

ven

CPF Supporter
There you go,a panyB for example is good for 6A iirc..........

The mm15vn for example is around 6.5A per cell,certain lights benefit from IMR cells,the tk75 and 61 fall into the dont benefit category so if run time is important as it appears,3400 cells would make a better choice for you imo.

I use panyB protected for example in my tk75vn dome on at 4400lm(OTF maybe 4000)

marsos52

you got to know that so many people have none. and some how they do just fine.

I'm glad not be one of those. hah

I need one at work, one for around the house and pocket edc, and one that goes everywhere with me and has many modes and high output for just in case.

of course I do have a few others too.

just one light, that will never work because I believe everyone needs a backup.

Amelia

If I was to be completely honest with myself, I only really need 1 light: a Zebralight H600Fw headlamp. Seriously - I could get by quite well with that light alone.

To make life easier and more convenient, I would add my Sunwayman V11R NW for EDC, and my Armytek Predator Pro 2.5 Warm for decent throw.

To top it all off with some sweet, beautiful high-CRI power flood/throw/all-around general purpose "do everything well" goodness, the EagleTac MX25L3C Nichia is just the ticket.

So... I need either 1, 3, or 4. Depending on my current mindset at the time you ask me. :)

P.S. I've been doing the "light thing" for over 10 years, and have over 100 quality lights with many duplicates. Since I use my lights super often, It was unbelievably easy for me to pare it all down to the above list. All the rest of my lights are specialized stuff, extras, blingy fluff, and lights I have because I want them, not need them.

Last edited:

Berneck1

Realistically probably 3 or 4. I need my Eagletac D25a for EDC. I have a Maratac AAA Copper as a backup. Then I would probably want my Nitecore EAX for an emergency like a blackout where I either need a ton of light or long run time at lower settings. And finally, the UST 30-day lantern in my house for the same reason.

I would want AA and AAA lights if it was an all or none kind of situation so I can easily obtain batteries. I would certainly prefer some 18650/CR123 lights in other situations, but at a bare minimum I'll take the four listed above.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
I don't need any when I have my cigarette lighter on me. But I have about 50 if you include finger lights hanging throughout my house to find jar candles in power outages. Also have a few assorted/differing style of work lamps and several general use flash lights.

Recently my assortment of incandescent Mag Lites were replaced by LED models.
And no flashlight collection is complete without promotional products.

AB8XL

CPF Supporter
I'm about to try to convince my wife of that.
Wish me luck please...

In much of my firearms defense training a golden rule to live by is the 3 second rule, as I was taught this rule and I have applied it to flashlights as well. A flashlight can be used in the defense of your home and person in most cases.

To convince your wife, I would give examples of situations and where flashlights need to be placed through out the house for quick accessibility in the event of such situation.

I can also say to help your cause is that people in general tend to get a false sense of security when they are in their homes or other locations where they feel secure. So they will let their guard down and take their flashlight, firearm and knife off their person as soon they walk in the door or not carry them while at home. I mean nothing bad ever happens to people when they are in the safety of their own homes right?
Let's just say that you are somewhere in your home and all of a sudden you hear an a loud bang as some bad guy kicks in your front door, between you and your family is a bad guy that intends to do serious harm. So you reach for your flashlight....oh that's right my flashlight is on the other side of the house next to the microwave. Maybe if you can ask him nicely he will wait until you go retrieve it.

I can tell you, if you cannot reach a flashlight and/or a loaded firearm in 3 seconds, you don’t have much of a chance of defending yourself nor your family. Maybe you don't want to carry on you person while you sit on the couch and watch television. I get that but regardless of whether or not it is on your person you need to be able to reach it within 3 seconds no matter where you are in your house. Maybe now she will let you go buy a few more flashlights and place them all over your house as I have. You can't have too many, but if you don't have your house setup then I suggest a flashlight and firearm needs to be on your person at all times or at minimum within 3 seconds.

Boko

Maybe the only light you need is the one you have. People still climbed mountains and ran 100-mile trail races when all you could have was a Petzl Zoom or a Maglite, and who knows what before that.

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
Ordinarily I only NEED one at a time. Yesterday I found myself needing two.
The second one lit up the one I was working on to improve it some. Once done I used the other to light up the back up while I worked on that one.

Post #70 above was one of my first posts here at CPF. I'd been a member for just a few days. A lot has changed since then.

Since post #73 my wife has been very cool about flashlights all over the place and even has several of her own.

Last edited:

thermal guy

If we’re honest with ourselves you really only need one. our crazy family here is not really the general population. literally everyone I know outside this forum has a single light or none at all and they get by just fine. So my answer is crazy but I “could“ get by with one. Will I? Absolutely not😁

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
Many people rely on their cellular phone for light. I have to admit I have used mine here and there on the rare occurance it was a better option than the EDC I had with me.

3_gun

Even when all we had was Eveready/Ray-o-vac lights you needed more than one. It isn't the tech that has me owning more than one, it's the Boy Scout in me, plus years of learning in the school of hard knocks. Be prepared .. isn't about a warm spring day in a park or at the beach. Two is one & one is none rings true for items that your life may depend on.

Yea my new EDC Acebeam E70 is a great light in todays market & beyond our wildest dreams from the first new age 123a/xenon lights. But it can still fail, I can still forget to charge it & we don't have atomic cells .. yet. So one isn't enough unless you like the dark

I could be OK (not happy) with 1; in the truck, EDC, go bag, tool box & GP house light. Less than that equals a gap in my plans. Of course I don't like gaps & my plans include my back up having a back up. Lights are cheap compared to what a failure could cost