HOW MANY FLASHLIGHTS DO YOU NEED?

CHNeal

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Need? If I am honest and want to compromise 1. For a couple of years the only flashlight I used was an HDS and it did all I needed a flashlight to do. I have since started in on the speciality application lights and don’t want to go back to the one but i know if i had to that HDS is right where I left it and ready to go.

wayben

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Need=gotta have, zero, people got along without them for centuries.
Need=want, at least one more than I have now.

chip100t

Newly Enlightened
I have more than twenty but less than fifty.
And it bugs me I have so many sat not being used. I can never make my mind up on which of my “nice lights” to use so always revert to carrying my sofirn sc31pro because despite it being probably my cheapest light and I don’t particularly find it aesthetically pleasing, I just find its ui perfect. And the fact it is the one I choose over ones that cost many times more kind of makes my wonder why I own all the others.

Last edited:

3oni

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
This is an enjoyably tough question. :)
  1. EDC. Intuitive, does what I need on a day-to-day basis well and can flex into other roles if needed. Balances throw and flood pretty well.
  2. Headlamp. Almost all flood, and capable of going quite low with good runtime. This is my preferred format for hiking, spelunking, and camping.
  3. Power outage duty. Enough lumens to turn one large room into daylight, but also enough juice to run for a long time on a serviceable low level. For me this tends to be a large, heavy light, not suitable for either of the first two roles.
  4. Dedicated truck light. Has to be able to handle long periods of non-use, and have a good balance of throw/flood and low/high levels.
Beyond that, there are two more categories I consider near-needs:
  • Keychain. The only light I always have on me, no matter what. Needs to be lightweight and tiny.
  • Dedicated thrower. In the past five years, the only time I've needed one of these was for spelunking, but it's a category of light I always like to have on hand just in case.
So I guess that's 4-6 for me. Right now 1-4 are my Malkoff MD2, Armytek Elf, BLF Q8, and Armytek Predator. (I should probably replace the Predator with a long-running light fueled by lithium primaries, but so far it's been just fine.)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I have more than twenty but less than fifty.
And it bugs me I have so many sat not being used. I can never make my mind up on which of my “nice lights” to use so always revert to carrying my sofirn sc31pro because despite it being probably my cheapest light and I don’t particularly find it aesthetically pleasing, I just find its ui perfect. And the fact it is the one I choose over ones that cost many times more kind of makes my wonder why I own all the others.
I went through that for a while. Buying even more did not help matters. Your favorite is your favorite and often you know it is the first time you use it (but not always).
I just stashed the others at places like a shed, a shelf in a bathroom, one in the attic etc in case the favorite konks out while there. I have had on occasion the low voltage circuit of the battery of my favorite suddenly kick in and was glad the spare light was nearby.

ScottG123

Newly Enlightened
Everyone is clearly different based on their use cases. Here's why I've got - what my wife would call - a bit too many.

* Vehicles
- Regular PrincetonTec LED flashlight, plus Inova emergency flasher light(s) w/magnets on them; one set in each vehicle.

* Travel / Work backpack
- Streamlight 2AAA EDC light.

* House
- LED streamlight in kitchen just for utility and emergencies.
- Inova re-chargeable in office
- A CAT Cree type re-chargeable in workshop.
- UV light in workshop (for looking at glue squeeze out for woodworking; yes, that really works well.)
- Several LED lanterns for power outages (Rayovac 3D... GREAT little lantern.)
- One propane lantern
- One freeplay hand crank light.
- One freeplay hand crank light/radio
- A few cheapie Dorcy lights... one my wife uses; others for kids so everyone has their own.

* Rescue Squad Gear
- Surfire hazmat safe light. (for helmet or handheld)
- Streamlight angle head light (for turnout gear/coat)

* Flight Bag
- Headlamp
- 1 2AA LED light
- 1 Surefire LumaMax

We come out to somewhere around 20 give or take. All useful. All get used at one point or another. All have a use case. Could we get by with less? Of course. We could probably live with a couple of flashlights and a lantern or two. But it's much easier to just leave each unit in its place for its purpose.

Do I need another? No. So why am I on this forum today? Because I just kind of want to see what the latest is and maybe get just one more! : )