How NOT to repair your lithium ion cells...

Norm

Retired Administrator
not unique to him but the pronunciation of solder ... "sodder"
I've only ever heard Americans say "sodder" the rest of we English speakers pronounce all the syllables "solder"

Ok, last off topic post about solder....

From my cursory research on a few dictionary and etymology sites, it would seem the the term comes from the 14th C English word sawd which in turn comes from old French soldure from Latin solidare. So I guess the real question is why the British decided to start pronouncing the L again at some point? .... Evidently we just have gone with the old English way of saying it that was in use first it seems, rather than it being the case that we dropped the L for no good reason. ;)

I think we can agree English is a living language, it changes continually, unlike a dead language, Latin for instance.

I wouldn't worry about the thread topic too much, the facts have been well covered.

Norm

Last edited:

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
My dad still busts my chops over the fact that I call it soLder. Other people have mentioned it, too, over the years. Sodder just doesn't seem right to me, though that IS the common American pronunciation. :thinking:

In any case, I'd be willing to sign a petition to get this vid submitted to the Darwin committee. :D

nbp

Flashaholic
I've only ever heard Americans say "sodder" the rest of we English speakers pronounce all the syllables "solder"

I think we can agree English is a living language, it changes continually, unlike a dead language, Latin for instance.

I wouldn't worry about the thread topic too much, the facts have been well covered.

Norm

No worries about being OT? Who are you and what did you do with Norm? ;)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norm understands. OT = on topic = off topic = 2 = 1 = 0.

He is obviously a heavy-duty philosopher. It's like having tea and no tea at the same time.

2=1=0=42. QED. :)

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly back on topic, take a look at that guys other videos. Power drill into the top of an 18650!? Yea...

bkb

Newly Enlightened
He calls them lymphian batteries in his other videos too.

Latest posts