How old is the oldest flashlight you own?

How old is the oldest flashlight you own?

• 1 - 3 years. I'm fairly new at this.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • 4 - 7 years. I've been around the block a few times.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • 8-10 years. I'm showing my age.

Votes: 14 11.8%
  • 11 - 15 years. I had hair when I bought this thing.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • 16+ years. I think it's a family heirloom now.

Votes: 69 58.0%

• Total voters

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its amazing how fast new lights get old....just like their owners:(

If you look in any hobby site now....you see an "antique" forum...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of you are pretty funny. :D

My oldest is the last of a series of Tekna 2xAAx222 dive lights that I used to EDC when I was a sailor in the early 80s. Unfortunatly, the one I have is the only one I've ever owned that wasn't black -- it's an ugly orange.

They were great lights for salt water environments in their day. Their greatest weakness was the spring at the bottom of the body, which I always fixed by dropping in a flattened springy terminal from a 6V battery. I still have a film can full of 222 bulbs from the days when I'd be gone for months on end and had to bring everything with me that I might need.

One day I'll get around to buying one of Tektite's 222 LED replacement bulbs for it.

It was a great light at a great price that did a great job for me. Lots of memories. I would never even think of getting rid of it.

There are a few others that I wish I had held on to.

Kirk

Enlightened
1904 or so Eveready "Iron Candle". Oak box with a cast iron holder and milkglass "candle". Originally used a 3-cell battery pack and carbon-filament bulb. Also, have a couple of pocket lights and tubular lights from the 1910s and 1920s.
Kirk

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
0e_1.jpg
its a eveready model 2604 from 1925, with walley lens and wall hanger endcap it still works.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Oldest I THINK is one of Grandpaws old 3D chrome big head lights.

Next could be either a 2AA Pen Light or a 5D Streamlight Excalibre Halogen.

Also possible is a 3D Rayovac Aluminum light that could come apart so two of them could make a 6D. We had to get these late 70's or early 80's.

Time's fun when you're having flies....

EDIT: I only THOUGHT I had the 2 Rayovac Aluminum 3Ds that could make a 6D. I can't find it ANYWHERE around here, and I KNOW I have seen it since we moved. I think a RAT has been plundering around here....

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
JonSidneyB said:
This place if full of really young people it seems.

I wish I could still think of myself as 'really young', but haven't done so in many years. Pushing 27 one of my favorite flashlights is a ten year old Rayovac that I got from my grandmother one Christmas. It has a semi-sputtered reflector. I cleaned the reflector up, put some good D batteries in it and a Dorcy xenon bulb and it's my new long running Surefire G2 clone home tactical light. ;)

InfidelCastro

Banned
nikon said:
These two are 85 years old and still see regular use.....

2lites.jpg

That is so cool. Do they use D batteries? Could you tell us a bit more about them please? Those are very interesting. Are they old EverReady's?

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
That is so cool. Do they use D batteries? Could you tell us a bit more about them please? Those are very interesting. Are they old EverReady's?

The one in front is an Eveready and the rear one is a Ray-O-Vac. Both use D cells and both use bulbs with a screw base. The Ray-O-Vac has a bevelled glass lens.

I hope to get around to making a screw base Luxeon drop-in.

WNG

Enlightened
Like Sub_Umbra, I have a Tekna Splashlight 2AA in black from 1983.
I guess it survived this long because the 222 bulb blew out so easily and I tossed it into a toolbox many years ago. I hope to resurrect it with one of those prospective 222 SMJLED bulbs pending availability.

Next would be a Pelican Mitylite 2AAA Xenon that was a promotional freebie, from the mid 80s. Also a black miniMag from the same time period.

Hmmm I think I still may have one or two of those free plastic Radio Shack 5-D and 4-C flashights in the garage! These were early 80's era vintage.

Bob_G

Enlightened
I'm the original owner of this all time classic Rayovac Sportsman in 2C, which makes it at least 40 years old. It works perfectly and sees weekly use now that I've put a SMJLED-PR in it (which gives an artifact free spill and useful spot.) It's maybe my favorite example of "they don't make 'em like they used to" compared to modern stuff. All metal, metal reflector, glass lens, momentary (that still works) and constant on, tail stand with recessed attachment ring, heavy cardboard tube to keep the batteries quiet. And this was just an every day cheapo light when it was current.

sportsman_002.jpg

DaveG

Enlightened
Have some old lantern style lights from the 40s or 50s, metal construction,screw in bulb, a brass 2c cell Winchester flashlight 40s or so I guess, couple of 5d cell ray-o-vac flashlights,screw in bulb,metal chrome plated 50s -60s ? I try to grab the old ones at tag/yard sales, but its getting hard to find any that are any good now a days.

mdocod

Flashaholic
i'm only 21 years old- but was able to vote "11-15 years" because I just dug up an old 2xAA plastic junker light that I had when I was in my late single-digits.... amazingly, it still lights up.

Latest posts