How the problem occured with the Olight Warrior Mini

As many of you might know, Olight has suddenly received multiple reports of their Warrior Mini turning on in a person's pocket. They are sending out protective rubber caps and a free blue Obulb to every purchaser. Also offering as an option just a full refund, postage paid. (Be wary of buying a blue Obulb right now. I have ten on their way right now, gonna be all over EBay. :D Reserve your with me now for $25 :crackup:)

It is interesting to note that ANY stainless steel PB Olight that charges from the tail and can use a remote switch has this problem. I once set up about ten lights with such tails on a strip of plain steel. Some would turn on when put down. Many would turn on in the middle of the night. Whenever the plain steel strip showed the right "special" resistance it thought the remote switch was being used. The only reason (my guess) this is suddenly a problem is no one carried their Javelot in a pocket with loose change – but they started with this Mini.

Olight once found themselves in a conflict. Their trademark was the magnetic charging (awesome), but the "tactical" users wanted an end-button. So they conjured up this stainless button that could both be pressed and also charged thru. Safe up to this point, everyone has what they want? No, they want a remote switch too! And it can't replace the tail-cap, how would you charge? So they let an external connection to the tail button from the remote switch turn on the light. That is where they went wrong.

I'm going to take a Mini apart and see exactly what connects to what inside the tail-cap. There might be a way to break some connection and disable the remote switch input.

vermeire

Newly Enlightened
Does this have the same switch as the new Odin switch?

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
As many of you might know, Olight has suddenly received multiple reports of their Warrior Mini turning on in a person's pocket. They are sending out protective rubber caps and a free blue Obulb to every purchaser. Also offering as an option just a full refund, postage paid. (Be wary of buying a blue Obulb right now. I have ten on their way right now, gonna be all over EBay. :D Reserve your with me now for $25 :crackup:)

It is interesting to note that ANY stainless steel PB Olight that charges from the tail and can use a remote switch has this problem. I once set up about ten lights with such tails on a strip of plain steel. Some would turn on when put down. Many would turn on in the middle of the night. Whenever the plain steel strip showed the right "special" resistance it thought the remote switch was being used. The only reason (my guess) this is suddenly a problem is no one carried their Javelot in a pocket with loose change – but they started with this Mini.

Olight once found themselves in a conflict. Their trademark was the magnetic charging (awesome), but the "tactical" users wanted an end-button. So they conjured up this stainless button that could both be pressed and also charged thru. Safe up to this point, everyone has what they want? No, they want a remote switch too! And it can't replace the tail-cap, how would you charge? So they let an external connection to the tail button from the remote switch turn on the light. That is where they went wrong.

I'm going to take a Mini apart and see exactly what connects to what inside the tail-cap. There might be a way to break some connection and disable the remote switch input.

Interesting, I look forward to hearing what you discover. Personally I would have been fine if the Mini had no magnetic charging, used a normal 18650 and a normal rubber tail switch. I don't usually put anything else in the pocket with it so I likely will never see this issue, but I don't like having to "think" about it whenever I do carry it.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it is the same switch as the Odin as far as I can tell. I have them both.

vermeire

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it is the same switch as the Odin as far as I can tell. I have them both.
Hmm... I guess it's a good thing I probably won't be carrying my Odin Mini in a pocket regularly.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, I've tried shorting the similar tail cap on my Warrior X Pro a few times with various metal objects just for science. Never gotten it to turn on. Not exactly a pocket carry size light though so I'm not too concerned.