How to adhere 3 emitters to a heatsink??

Wurkkos

xbrite

Newly Enlightened
Can anybody recommend a reliable way of adhering 3 series connetced emitters to a heatsink??

I am going to use a boost converter and wiring the 3 emitters in series but I know the slug of the emitters is to be insulated. For a single emitter, I used Arctic silver adhesive but I don't think I can use this adhesive for 3 emitters in series.. I know it will be okay with 3 stars..

Thanks..

markus_i

Enlightened
Isolate them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously:
- for a start, it isn't ok for (now) most Stars - neither the 5 nor the 3 W Stars are isolated against the emitter
- everything else depends on your heat sink:
for an aluminium HS with an anodized finish, just use AS and make sure the emitters don't touch. The anodization is a good isolation, at least in this voltage range. Just make sure that the holes you drilled under the LEDs don't have _any_ edges/filings protruding from the drilling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
For a blank Al/Cu HS, you'll have to use an electrically isolating thermal adhesive. Their thermal properties are usually worse than AS, so you might have to compensate for that.

HTH
Markus

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
arctic alumina or arctic silver adhesive should either do the trick... how they make something 80% silver non conductive, i'm not sure... read the specs... it works perfectly

xbrite

Newly Enlightened
Dear Darell,

What do you mean by two thin layers of AS?? Do you mean that you apply a thin layer of Arctic Silver, et it dry and then reapply AS?? I thought AS is conductive while AA is non conductive since AS uses oxidized aluminum..

Thanks..

markus_i

Enlightened
I'm not darrel, but generally:

AA is supposed to be completely non-conductive - unless you do have some point where the metal parts actually touch (instead of being seperated by AA or, worst case, an air bubble)
AS should be non-conductive unless by chance (or applying too much pressure) you get a conducting path, since every particle should be surrounded by a film of epoxy. A lot of 'should', so sometimes things go wrong. Using two layers seems like a good idea to me.
The stuff I use (electrolube thermal epoxy) contains tiny spheres (microballoons?), which ensure a defined spacing between the two parts - and uses a non-electrically conductive epoxy/filling.

Bye
Markus

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought and used arctic silver... the price wasn't big enough of a difference to give me a reason to skimp... worked perfectly.. for mounding.. i put the LEDs flat on the heat sink and put a piece of cardboard across the three emitters and about 4oz weight on them.