How to disassemble a lathe??

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
Hi everyone,
I just got a new lathe but I have to disassemble it in order to move it upstairs. I already got the tailstock and the chuck off but I have some trouble with the large disk (shown below).
The problem is that the disk spins in the same direction in which I turn. Does anybody know how I can fix that part?

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, first of all congratulation on your lathe.

I don't think much of your picture hosting website however. I suggest no one click on that image, it tried to load trojan/virus or something. It appeared to be one of the many variants of antivirus 2009 and antivirus 2010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Antivirus_(malware)

Back to your lathe, it would help to know what it is. Is it a harbor freight 9x20 belt driven? So you are trying to remove the belt pulley from the spindle? There is a decent image of it on page 14 of this manual (if thats what you have of course)

Is it actually broken, or you just want to get it off? Off the top of my head it would like like you could chuck something into the chuck your removed and jam it against the ways. Protect them of course. I would imagine that black nut would then thread off (I wonder if it is reverse thread?) and then you would find a keyway. Of course, those are all just gueses.

There is mention of it here too: http://www.stellar-international.com/lathe.html
"the parts illustration of this pulley assembly in the HF 9x20 manual is obsolete, so be careful when removing it. On my 9x20, this pulley assembly is one solid piece secured by a shaft key, rather than several separate components as illustrated in the manual."

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
I got the nut off with a second wrench. I have never seen that kind of wrenches, thought that would be some kind of custom tools, but luckily a friend of mine got one.
There is another nut right behind the first nut so that I could secure everything with the second wrench.
Fortunately the second nut wasn't tightened that much if it was not that case I think your idea with the chuck is a good solution.

The lathe isn't broken but I want to move it upstairs to the 2nd floor. So I try to remove as much parts/weight as possible.

However I'm stuck again with removing the bottom right gear... I think I will need 2 more people for moving this thing up :D

Thanks for your help

as for the imagehoster I always thought imageshack.us is a well known hoster. I haven't expierenced any problems yet.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right, imageshack is well known. Hmm, I am not sure what happened, but I didn't like it :)
I am glad you managed to remove that stubborn bolt. I can't wait to see what projects come from your way next!

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2nd nut was not tightened that much because it was probably setting the preload on the spindle bearings. If you do not tighten that 2nd nut correctly you could ruin your lathe very easily.

They rent stair climbing dollies in the US at tool rental stores. Is there anything similar where you are?

Mac

Last edited:

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
It seems like the second nut is just securing the larger disk for the belt.

I thought of those climbing dollies as well but the stairs are not wide enough to transport it in a horizontal position on those dollies. I think I'm going to put the lathe into the garden shed.