How to eliminate the strobe, only, on a Zebralight?

Climb14er

Enlightened
We've got four Zebralights stretching back to a first gen SC600, which does not have a pre programmed strobe. Just a very purposeful moonlight H3 default setting. Yes, I've read the instructions and have seen a couple of posts and videos. All I'd like to do is ELIMINATE the strobe and replace with a much lower setting for H3. How can this be done without changing H1 and H2? And would appreciate only assistance to change out H3 without changing anything else. Thanks.

RegularGuy81

Newly Enlightened
Ive always wondered why flashlights have strobe? I guess i understand "tactical" usage of a high freq strobe to confuse or disorient.

In the case of Zebra there is a fast/slow and really dim really slow and bright slow, maybe like a aviation type blink..

Anyhow what are some real world uses? Any stories Where you've used a strobe feature?

Connor

Enlightened
The fast strobe is an excellent attention grabber. For example, if you had to quickly secure the scene of a car accident at night in a blind bend, putting the light on the roof of the car pointing back at the traffic might be a life-saver.

The slow bright blink is so you/the position of the light can be found at night while conserving battery.
Slow dim blink is so you can find the flashlight at night in your room or similar.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
and really dim really slow and bright slow

These would be considered a beacon rather than a strobe. Any of them can be used in emergency situations to grab attention, not just to issue a warning of an accident to vehicles, but also in the case of getting the attention of rescuers if lost and/or injured in the wilderness.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really wish the slower strobe/flashing mode was just a little bit slower. As it is right now it's still a bit annoying as a non emergency "hey I'm here" flash IMO. I'd definitely find more use with it if it were, such as as a daytime bike flasher, especially as the sun starts to set and you're riding away from the sun, making you a bit harder to spot to someone driving toward the sun.

DRW

Enlightened
... fast strobe is an excellent attention grabber. For example, if you had to quickly secure the scene of a car accident at night in a blind bend, putting the light on the roof of the car pointing back at the traffic might be a life-saver.

That's why hazard lights are built into vehicles.

Haven't seen the people who do this for a living use a flashlight like that.

I can't see any good from pointing a strobe at oncoming traffic. How many times have you done that @Connor ?

DRW

Enlightened
Ive always wondered why flashlights have strobe? I guess i understand "tactical" usage of a high freq strobe to confuse or disorient.

In the case of Zebra there is a fast/slow and really dim really slow and bright slow, maybe like a aviation type blink..

Anyhow what are some real world uses? Any stories Where you've used a strobe feature?
Even tactical strobe is an armchair warrior feature. For most of my adult life I have been a first responder, never once used tactical strobe, that's plain and simple BS.

The stories seem to be far and few between.

Connor

Enlightened
That's why hazard lights are built into vehicles.

Haven't seen the people who do this for a living use a flashlight like that.

I can't see any good from pointing a strobe at oncoming traffic. How many times have you done that @Connor ?
I just knew some smartypants would answer something like that. :)
I'll just say: hazard lights can break in a crash. And you know what's worse than pointing a strobe at oncoming traffic? The oncoming traffic not seeing you and smashing into you.

Anyway, this was an example for using the strobe for something useful, i.e. an attention grabber. It works really well as that.

Last edited:

DRW

Enlightened
I just knew some smartypants would answer something like that. :)
I'll just say: hazard lights can break in a crash. And you know what's worse than pointing a strobe at oncoming traffic? The oncoming traffic not seeing you and smashing into you.

Anyway, this was an example for using the strobe for something useful, i.e. an attention grabber. It works really well as that.
Ok, so you have never done it and you think pointing a strobe light at a driver is a good idea.

Well ok smarty-pants

Mr. LED

Enlightened
I have avoided accident, right after an accident, using my zebra's low strobe, pointed to the ground, to warn oncoming traffic to slow down in a curve, during a blizzard, it worked very well.

I'd rather have this strobe, which is hidden, than having nothing. It also has beacon which is very useful depending on the situation (high and low beacons).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Years ago when I was first discovering LED flashlights, I was working on a project at night with a police officer guiding traffic while we had the road closed. I offered him a flashlight with a white wand attached and said "do you prefer a solid light or blinky?" He said "blinky? yeah let's try that" so I handed him the light in a flasher mode some call strobe. It can be pretty effective as an attention getter.

The other night I had my pickup truck headlights aimed at a worker with the flashing roof light turned on. The reflectors on their safety vest lights up real well but when I turned off my headlights the reflectors were blinking off and on as the top light did. Much better attention getter. As cars approach them the bright yellow cloth of the vest is easy to spot. Meanwhile the local police controlling the intersection that night had on flashing "QuickLite" clip on lights.

klmmicro

Newly Enlightened
The only time I would ever use strobe on any of my lights that have it was when using them as cycling lights. The flashing is a true attention getter when riding at night. I had several cyclists stop me to ask what light I use and when they saw it was a flashlight in a handlebar mount, they started to use them as well. I guess that is not what the thought was when companies started offering it, but it is the only use I have actually found.

DRW

Enlightened
The only time I would ever use strobe on any of my lights that have it was when using them as cycling lights. The flashing is a true attention getter when riding at night. I had several cyclists stop me to ask what light I use and when they saw it was a flashlight in a handlebar mount, they started to use them as well. I guess that is not what the thought was when companies started offering it, but it is the only use I have actually found.
Big difference between (fast) strobe and (slow) flashing. I would not use a strobe for a cycling light.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm.
Is there a difference between the headlamps and the handheld models?

I have two H600s, an older and a more recent one.
both offering three main levels (high, med, low).
Each level with pre-programmed, user changeable sub-settings.
... Both have NO strobe in the programmable level settings,
strobe must be activated separately.

Also changing one of the main levels has no effect on the other 2
(why should? That makes no sense at all)

How come You get the strobe as annoying feature?
Is the ui in the handhelds that different?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just read the handheld programming table,
there is no mention that that beacon mode goes away in G6/G7 mode group,
so, as Jim already typed in post #2:
not possible

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Hmmm.
Is there a difference between the headlamps and the handheld models?

I have two H600s, an older and a more recent one.
both offering three main levels (high, med, low).
Each level with pre-programmed, user changeable sub-settings.
... Both have NO strobe in the programmable level settings,
strobe must be activated separately.

Also changing one of the main levels has no effect on the other 2
(why should? That makes no sense at all)

How come You get the strobe as annoying feature?
Is the ui in the handhelds that different?
The UI is exactly the same. Strobe is activated with 3 clicks from off. I don't know what they do wrong to activate it unintentionally. The only way is to click once from off to activate H1 (or whatever is programmed in that position), then double click to activate the sub level. There must be a pause there, otherwise the light thinks you want strobe.

Tip: program your strobe to be moonlight beacon, that way I'd you accidentally activate it, won't blind you. Activate strobe, then double click to cycle between (low beacon, high beacon, low strobe; fast strobe). The low beacon will be whatever level was last used, L1 or L2.