How to figure proper driver and battery for a given LED?

cncwhiz

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks,

I have a dilemma and I was hoping some of you may be able to help me with this. I got into this hobby because I am an avid mountain biker. I built a light with help from some people on the MTBR forum and some of you here. I'm not sure what happened, but I got sidetracked with this and have wanted to pick back up and build more lights for some time. I've been very busy with life and work and have not had a chance until now.

I swear I used to have another username here, and if I did it is long gone. I can't remember what it was if I did. I had compiled a lot of notes and info on how to do things, and I can't find any of it. I have checked PM's and threads on here and MTBR and I don't have any of it.

anyway, one of the most important pieces of information I had was how to calculate drivers and battery specs. somebody explained this to me beautifully, and I have lost that info.

for example, the first light I built was made with a cree XPG 3-up star. I can't remember the specs on this. The driver was a buckpuck model #03023-D-E 1000p..so a 1000mA with a pot. The battery ended up being a 14.4v lithium Ion with protection, and it was 2600 mAh - if I remember correctly. I can't remember how I came up with this, and how to figure out how long it would last.

There was a bunch of math involved.

If anybody could help me understand this again, I would be greatful.