How to identify magcharger version

Walt74

Newly Enlightened
Hi All

This is my first post on this forum...could not find an answer to this question via search (probably dont know how to use it properly:eek:)

I would like to know how one can identify which version of Magcharger you are looking at. I can get a good deal on a secondhand one, with the idea of upgrading it later. I have read that some LED dropins wont work with the newer switches. I would like to NOT buy one of those.

All I know of the one I am looking is at is that it has the NiCd battery and the serial number is E100122887. Other than that...it looks pretty new.

Thanks

Imon

Enlightened
If it has a NiCd battery it'd likely be the older version since Maglite switched to NiMH on the Magcharger many years ago.
Can't see why anyone would buy the NiMH version and switch it out with a lower capacity NiCD battery.

Walt74

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys.

I think I wont be getting that particular magcharger then. Will become too costly to also replace the battery pack.

Regards
W

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have been looking at getting a used mag charger for a Malkoff LED head, then realized I have to be careful and get the "older" switch assembly Magcharger, as the "newer" ones with the multi mode switches can't be used with the Malkoff dropin,

Thanks gang, Now I know also to look for the NiMH battery pack also,

jkpq45

Newly Enlightened
All depends on the price and what you plan to do with it.

NiCD battery packs can be resurrected sometimes if they show age (deep discharge then slow recharge). Otherwise, breaking down and rebuilding the pack is an option.

What cost are you going to be into the project? You mention it's a pretty good price.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.batteryjunction.com/powerizer-half-d-cell-nimh.html

how about 5 of these? They are button top so if tollerances are not too tight you should be able to fit them without needing to build a new battery stick! (And charge them as well inside the flashlight... But i'm not sure if the nicd charger in the maglite kit is suitable for nimh... You may need to hook the maglite support to a smart charger..)

fastbarry

Newly Enlightened
Answer to above question.
The magcharger light charges correctly with either battery type installed.

My older magcharger has a tailcap spring twice as long as my new one. It is difficult to start the tailcap threads on the old one because of this.
The new magcharger has a multi volt charger 100-240V 50/60 Hz. The new charger and cradle have a more modern dc connector colored black as opposed to the old white 2 pin side by side connector.

A little bit off topic now but feel free to read and reply.
I just purchased my second Magcharger.
I have had the first for a good few years. It is a single mode switch with a NiCd battery. It has always impressed me with it's brightness if recently charged. I do not use it very often and it is invariably near flat when I want to use it. I really do love it for it's classic styling and function. It has the improved bulb that is mentioned on the maglite website or at least it was. I am not sure if it still is.
When I learned of the 700 and later 1000 lumen LED upgrades I was really keen to get one but was put off when I discovered that they were not really capable of a tightly focused spot. About the same time I learnt of the NiMH improved battery and thought I will get one sometime as the self discharge is lower and it has quite a bit more capacity at 3500 mAH versus 2600 mAH.
Recently there was a new late version one with the multimode switch on Ebay for $40 buy now. I had it sent to my reship address and received it in New Zealand last week. I charged it for 24 hours as per the operators manual and took it outside on a dark night. I was a bit disappointed as it seemed a bit dim. I compared it with my earlier version which was noticeably brighter and whiter. I swapped the batteries over and the result was the same. I then put the batteries back to their original lights and swapped the bulbs, same result.
My thoughts at the moment are that the multi switch has a slight restriction on the current flow.
The power save function is fairly dim and the strobe is unimpressive.

If anyone else has experience of a direct comparison of the two lights I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

dm_graham308

Newly Enlightened
Am I correct in the understanding that the RX1019 is the original "single mode" and the RE1019 is the newer "multi mode" MC? I am trying to find a couple MCs to drop a Malkoff and a Ledmag into.

Thanks