How to light up a spider

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Check out this unusual flashlight.
http://www.shoplifestyle.com/store/product.asp?dept%5Fid=29&pf%5Fid=4179&mscssid=1AGC444C0D149JG22WHLJLQSQED69EQD

It has a standard xenon bulb, six white LEDs, and a CCFT like the Energizer Arc White. It can also light up the eyes of a spider on the side of the road.
tongue.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Jeez. Here we go again.... 15,000 hours of "continuous" light from the CCFL. Yeah, if you hook it up to 2000 batteries! That's 1.7 years of continuous light folks!

Still, seems like a heck of a light for only $30.

Those Lifestyle guys are fascinating

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Darell,

If you can spare one of the stickers you have on your fan, please send it to LifeStyles as a request from CPF'rs.
grin.gif

I added a rave review of one of their lights on another of Craig's posts. I think this place is staffed by Jr. Politician Wannabies.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
Any chance of a review on those someday soon?
grin.gif
That 3-way xenon/LED/CCFL combo looks especially interesting.

Also, this one looks interesting:
"Collimator LED Light"
I wonder if it's a LS.

If my ARC 3.1 LE order from onestopknifeshop doesn't come through Monday (may be OOS), I'll likely get one of these instead.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Collimator Light isn`t using Luxeon technology, I`m not a fat Welshman
tongue.gif

A review of it will come along soon enough (after I`m through the backlog of LED lights graciously provided by the nice mr Kochan at Pocketlights.com). I just ordered one from the Lifestyle site the other day, fingers crossed it`ll be here in a week or so.

As far as the 3 way one is concerned, I`d have ordered one of those too if I`d known about it three days ago. As it is, I`ll leave that to someone else`s capable hands....

wink.gif
grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Yeah a little "reality check" editing would go a long way. It amazes me how many people think that if you put an LED in a light, *any light* that it should then shine for 27 years on a single AA battery. The misinformation is just rampant.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? You mean you have to change batteries in your LED lights?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
It can also light up the eyes of a spider on the side of the road

grin.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
a few neighbors kids got freaked when insects on the ground glowed strangely in the beam of a ls headlamp i was using july 4/bsu night.moths and junebugs eyes look weird sorta like refectors.
but nice to have both hands free to light and throw with.

Darell

Flashaholic
Yeah a little "reality check" editing would go a long way. It amazes me how many people think that if you put an LED in a light, *any light* that it should then shine for 27 years on a single AA battery. The misinformation is just rampant.

Spidey82

Enlightened
i saw a similar light at my local store, it has a xenon bulb, a ccft, but no leds.......
Linfeng

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to the review on the light, especially that light up a spider eye thing.

What were those publishing experts thinking!!!
tongue.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
What? You mean you have to change batteries in your LED lights?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only the Illuminators...
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlexGT:
Looking forward to the review on the light, especially that light up a spider eye thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That will probably have to come from somebody else. We don't have any large land invertebrates in Seattle, except for dragonflies and the occasional western swallowtail. No large spiders, no crickets, no grasshoppers or cicadas, no junebugs, no fireflies, no large moths, no NOTHING.
frown.gif

Someone living in an area with large insects and spiders (like tarantulas) should try this trick.
smile.gif

d'mo

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Someone living in an area with large insects and spiders (like tarantulas) should try this trick.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll give this a try on my next Philippine excursion. There are tarantulas, scorpions, tapai-tapai (spiders about the size of a pie plate) and bird spiders that are up to 24" diameter. Yikes!
shocked.gif

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DonL:
It's easy to get a "gazillion hours of solar flare brightness" out of just a single cell. As long as that cell was just recently powering the USS Enterprise...
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah must be those new nuclear fusion cells, I wonder why SF hasn´t market them yet...
tongue.gif
grin.gif

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by d'mo:
I'll give this a try on my next Philippine excursion. There are tarantulas, scorpions, tapai-tapai (spiders about the size of a pie plate) and bird spiders that are up to 24" diameter. Yikes!
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

D´mo, No $hit? please when you go, take a pic for me will ya? please try not to get eaten by those monsters!

Thnx
Alex

d'mo

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlexGT:
D´mo, No $hit? please when you go, take a pic for me will ya? please try not to get eaten by those monsters!

Thnx
Alex
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alex, No Joke, they're big honkers. They used one of these bird-eating spiders in the movie "Arachnophobia" - it's the spider in the beginning of the film. I'll try to get some screen shots from old video and post it here. For now, here's an URL:
http://www.bighairyspiders.com/blondi.shtml

Most of the spiders and scorpions are fearful of humans, so they're not too much trouble, but the mosquitoes are another story! We have to sleep under netting and was unlucky enough to have my elbow touching it while sleeping. I woke up with about 100 mosquito bites and itched for days. I've also seen the little buggers fold up their wings and push their way through netting if it's not fine enough mesh.

The good thing is, there is some "defense:" The Toko, a type of gecko, grows to 2 to 3 feet in length and are considered good luck to have them in the house. There are also smaller geckos, tiki, that grow to about 8 inches. I've spent many an evening watching them chow down on all kinds of creepy things.

On my next trip, I'll be taking a UV Photon or Arc-AAA to look for spiders and scorpions at night. From what I've read, scorpions fluoresce under UV. They'll be easier to spot and remove from the house before going to bed. Most of them are not deadly, but from what I'm told, hurt like crazy if your stung.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. This light is the "Swiss Army Knife" of flashlights and the price is right too!

Everyone seems to be having lots of fun with the add copy, but you gotta give Lifestyle some credit for the large variety of new LED flashlights they're offering. Had I not picked up a CMG Reactor at EMS the other day, I'd order this new light right now.

d'mo

Enlightened
Ok, I've got the pictures of the spider and gecko, but no site to post them. Would anyone like to post them for me?