How to make XPG throw further than XRE? Use a better Collimation! - A DEFT Clone Exp.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
moviles said:
Quote:
Techjunkie said:
@Moviles,

2 Q's:

1) How do you like that MCU-C88? I've had my eye on that one for a while and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm thinking XM-L mod potential when those emitters are fiinally available...

review here:
http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8
I like it, its heavy ,it have very good heat disipation, 26500 imr and 26650 imr batteries will fit

Techjunkie said:
2) Is that the romisen rc-c8 parked inside of DX sku 3154?
yes.
maybe in the future I will build a dropin but now I dont have time
rc-c8 diameter:34.41mm
sku_29416_8_small.jpg

76 led flahlight internal diameter:34.43mm

Thanks!

moviles

Enlightened
Glad you could got the high lux too, the 66mm DX lens is unbeatable for the price.
What's your Amp to the led? Is that a R2 or Q5?

ty.
are q5 (if we trust romisen)
I have maked the rc-c8 direct drived. I get 1.6 amp with the 18650 fullcharged at 4.23v

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally, I got some time to convert the light to Run on C Li-ion Direct Drive, as with the 4AA Alk., the curent is very unstable, dropping like flies.
I used 26AWG thin wires to help to limit the current.

I beefed up the heat sink by adding a Thick Copper Plate with a hole cu-out in the middle.
img4724y.jpg

I connect the negative to the side-wall using a meta stripe from mag switch.
img4731v.jpg

Add a Copper plate as Center Contact for battery pos. end.
img4734n.jpg

Reduced Mag C spring diameter slightly & fit into the tail cap
img4744l.jpg

DX Protected C li-ion fit in there perfectly with a PVC Sleeve.
img4743z.jpg

The beefed up Heat sink view.
img4751u.jpg

007adan

Newly Enlightened
Masha_1

I have some 1/8 inch plate copper which I can cut a Plug to use as a heatsink if you need it..You have helped me out so much it would be my honor to help you out, if you think heatsinking is the problem..

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thought occurs to me that to make a good heatsink you should add surface area, not just thermal mass. But I think you're marginally improving the thermal path to transfer heat from the base (flat) copper to the side copper.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the offer!

The output is very stable, the heatsink is enough.

Masha_1

I have some 1/8 inch plate copper which I can cut a Plug to use as a heatsink if you need it..You have helped me out so much it would be my honor to help you out, if you think heatsinking is the problem..

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thought occurs to me that to make a good heatsink you should add surface area, not just thermal mass. But I think you're marginally improving the thermal path to transfer heat from the base (flat) copper to the side copper.

I agree, that's why I designed the "Copper cup sink", it maxed out the thermo transfer surface area above the switch while allowing the led to sit low for optimal focus with the 66mm lens.

On the the Copper slug ring I added, The primary reason was to thicken the joint, provide additional thermo transfer from the bottom plate to the round copper sleeve. I felt that the thin copper plate to round sleeve joint was the "bottle neck".
The added thermo mass is a bonus, not the primary goal. Now the light runs at 2 Amp & the out-put is stable, with the original copper cup before, the out put drops fast at 1.5 Amp (I also blame the 4xAA Alk. batteries for that).

Ideally, I'd prefer the whole thing to be a one piece machined copper cup with beefy junction.

Last edited:

Scattergun

Enlightened
Will the focal point of the XP-G be the same as that of the XR-E?
I am thinking of running a 3D Maglite with an XP-G along with the DX aspherical but I am not sure if I can use the same heatsink as I do with the XR-E since distance to the lens might differ.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the focal point of the XP-G be the same as that of the XR-E?
I am thinking of running a 3D Maglite with an XP-G along with the DX aspherical but I am not sure if I can use the same heatsink as I do with the XR-E since distance to the lens might differ.

The focal point of the Aspherical set-up is determined by the lens, not by the led. So if your system works for XRE, it'll work with XPG.

Plus, Mag has the ability to fine tune focus to accomodate minor position chages. Just make sure you place the XPG roughly where the XRE was, you'll be fine.

Scattergun

Enlightened
Sorry, I kinda asked the wrong thing...
Is the beam-angle the same between the two types of LED? Will I be loosing a lot of emitted light if going for a XP-G ?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I kinda asked the wrong thing...
Is the beam-angle the same between the two types of LED? Will I be loosing a lot of emitted light if going for a XP-G ?

Beam angles are not the same, XRE has a smaller beam angle.
You'll be losing higher % of lumens using XPG vs. XRE in using Aspheric lens,
but I wouldn't say a lot.

The fact the XPG R5 with 66mm lens is very close to 100K lux indicates that things like that can be overcome. With XRE driven hard, I'd imagine 110K lux or so on the same lens. Assume both XRE & XPG systems are optimized on the same lens, the XRE will come on top, probably by 10% or so.

However, rarely a flashlight system is "optimized", thus, XPG's bigger spot & SST style square spot shape is an attractive alternative in a thrower.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The focal point of the Aspherical set-up is determined by the lens, not by the led. So if your system works for XRE, it'll work with XPG.
Not entirely true. There's two considerations here. How high in the package the die is mounted and how it is modified by the dome. The dome is an optical element and can affect how near or far the LED needs to be from the lens.

The fact the XPG R5 with 66mm lens is very close to 100K lux indicates that things like that can be overcome. With XRE driven hard, I'd imagine 110K lux or so on the same lens. Assume both XRE & XPG systems are optimized on the same lens, the XRE will come on top, probably by 10% or so.

However, rarely a flashlight system is "optimized", thus, XPG's bigger spot & SST style square spot shape is an attractive alternative in a thrower.
10%? I think the XR-E will be more like 35-50% better.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not entirely true. There's two considerations here. How high in the package the die is mounted and how it is modified by the dome. The dome is an optical element and can affect how near or far the LED needs to be from the lens.

Thanks for chiming in, I was trying to simplify it & point to where the key area is, not to be caught up with insignificant accuracy of minor issues.

I am aware that the apparent LED die location between the two may be slightly different, but it's not significant within the content of the question posed, nothing that a Mag's focusing range wouldn't over come. In the end, the answer is still the same. If he simply swap out XRE & replace it with XPG in Mag, it'll work.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must give this 66mm DX lens a try. I'm already making 121,000 lux with a Tiablo A9 head, with XR-E R2 EZ900 driven at 1.4 Amps. Without having to re-read all 3 pages anybody have a quick estimate of how much the 66mm lens will have in lux over the A9's 50mm lens? 66mm doesn't sound that much bigger. I like to keep things pocketable.

IMG_7046.jpg

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
you might want to check out the mag dragon Jr. then, this lens with Ez1000 & 2 AMP. >150K Lux .

It out throw 35W HID in my 700ft lightiouse shoot out.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
you might want to check out the mag dragon Jr. then, this lens with Ez1000 & 2 AMP. >150K Lux .

So Magdragon Jr. uses the 66mm lens? Doesn't sound like much of a gain over what I have. EZ1000 at 2A has slightly more surface brightness than EZ900 at 1.4A. Well...I ordered the 66mm lens. I'll get some numbers with my emitter behind it when it arrives.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
So Magdragon Jr. uses the 66mm lens? Doesn't sound like much of a gain over what I have. EZ1000 at 2A has slightly more surface brightness than EZ900 at 1.4A. Well...I ordered the 66mm lens. I'll get some numbers with my emitter behind it when it arrives.

120k lux vs 150k lux the difference is huge.
One is beaten by DEFT FTP & the other beat DEFT FTP :devil:
(DEFT FTP measured 135K lux by BigC.)