How to obtain Mag85

mdarby

Newly Enlightened
I've enjoyed reading this site, learning about flashlights. I've bought a Surefire 6P, a Thor 10M, several Maxfires and some surefire tasklights with incandescent/LED.

I am trying to decide whether it makes sense to get a really powerful light (just to have, I don't really need it!) I read about the Mag85. What is that? Is it available off the shelf or can it be easily made? If so, are there instructions on this forum?

What else would be comparable in terms of brightness/cost? Something from Electrolumens?

THANKS.
Michael

mokona2

Enlightened
Welcome! The Mag85 is a do-it-yourself project. Basically start with a stock 2D or 3D Maglite and swap out various components (lens, reflector, bulb, batteries) to get one kick-a$$ torch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Visit the Homemade and Modified forum for further details. Occasionally a completed unit ("turnkey" or TK) will show up for sale on one of the B/S/T forums.

As for comparable brightness? Hmm.. I'd say based on the battery configuration, a Mag85 would be about 2.5x to 3x brighter than the brightest Electrolumens flashlight.

mdarby

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, that's perfect. May I ask why one might want to take out the assembly from a Maglite Rechargeable and place it in a different Maglite, rather than just install a higher output bulb in the Maglite Rechargeable itself?

Just to confirm, the latter mod is simply a matter of buying the Maglite Rechargeable, ordering the replacement WA bulb, and changing the bulb as if it were a stock replacement?

Thanks,
Michael

[ QUOTE ]
Hookd_On_Photons said:
SuperMag Mods - The Cookbook, Ch.1

SuperMag Mods - The Cookbook, Ch.2

Welcome to CPF!

[/ QUOTE ]

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The magcharger battery is lower voltage so that limits you a little, however putting the 1160 bulb in a magcharger is supposed to be a pretty good mod.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
mdarby: you certainly can do that. However, the Magcharger system costs over $100 retail (usually available on the web for about $90). Also, the Magcharger only comes in black, and some people want a red, blue, silver, or pewter Mag85.

The stock Magcharger battery stick is 6V, not enough to run a WA01185 bulb. You *can* use a WA01160 bulb instead of the stock Magcharger bulb (which is itself a Welch-Allyn product). That's the "Mag60", and I think that's what you were referring to.

The Mag85 requires at least 9.6V, preferably 10.8 (i.e. 8 or 9 NiMH AA batteries in series). Running the WA01185 bulb at spec (9.6V) can be done in a 2-D Maglite with an 8AA-to-2D adapter. Overdriving the WA01185 at 10.8V (the classic Mag85) requires a 3-D Maglite (or Magcharger) with 3 Elektrolumens 3AA-to-D adapters, or one of the yet-to-be-released fivemega 9AA-to-3D adapters.

Here's another thread, explaining all the mods you can do with a Magcharger:

MagCharger Mods: Batteries, Bulbs and Pictures

Here is a more detailed thread about the MagBP:

BiPin Mag: The First Mag-MagCharger Hybrid

The main advantage of the MagBP is flexibility. The Magcharger mods are limited to battery configurations that are compatible with a 3-D battery configuration (uhhh, that's 3 x D batteries, not "three-dimensional").

FYI, here are the specs for the WA01160 and WA00185 lamps:

WA01160: 5V spec (326.72 lumens), 6V push (618 lumens)
http://www.walamp.com/lpd/webstore/detail.tpl?partnumber=01160-U

WA01185: 9.6V spec (816.81 lumens), 10.8V push (1234 lumens)
http://www.walamp.com/lpd/webstore/detail.tpl?partnumber=01185-U

Welch-Allyn bulbs are now available at Light-Edge.com

http://www.light-edge.com/products.asp?section=Super%20Bulbs&cat=40

rwolff

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

mdarby: you certainly can do that. However, the Magcharger system costs over $100 retail (usually available on the web for about $90).

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've seen in these forums, the Magcharger already has the aluminum reflector and glass lens, which you need to get as aftermarket items if you're using a 2D Maglight. How much is a 2D Maglite plus these "extras", plus re-anodizing the aluminum parts as HA3 (Magcharger is HA3, other Mags are type 2)? It seems to me that buying everything as one "kit" is a pretty good deal.

mdarby

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased the MagCharger yesterday.

Just to make sure I am clear, two upgrade options include:

(1) replacing the stock bulb with the WAO1160
(2) purchasing the WAO1185 along with the 3AA-D battery converters

In both cases, the MagCharger reflector and lens are suitable for the increased heat of the new lights. In case (1) I can use the recharging cabability, in case (2) I'd have to remove the AA batteries and recharge separately.

By the way, I've read about driver boards that increase the voltage supplied to the bulb. I don't know how these work, if they are placed in series or parallel to the original battery/bulb circuit. But if they can be placed in series, has anybody made a driver with the diameter of a C or D sized battery than can be placed in-line with the batteries to help overdrive some of the hotter bulbs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I just don't know how the circuits work.

THANKS.
Michael

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you gotta use 3 AA to D to get the needed current and voltage. I believe they run at around 11.8 volts.

Oh ya, they are VERY bright and VERY hot. My brother stole mine from me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif for a day or two and he wound up with his collection of plastic figures melted. It was an unfortunate tragety /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
There a great couple of threads in the Homemade and Modified section about the MagMods. Written by Ginseng last month, it will answer almost all, if not all of your questions.

You can recharge the Mag85 on the stock recharger with a relatively minor change in that charger.

Bill