How to remove Magcharger switch??

juancho

Enlightened
Hi guys,
I have the new replacement switch but no instructions on how to remove the old switch from the flashlight.
I plucked the rubber cover off an introduced an allen wrench 5/64 in the hole in the center of the switch, but I didn't find any screw there.
I tried other sizes of ex wrenches but the hole don't seem to be for a screw like in the Maglite switch.

Anybody can help me out?

regards
Juancho

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
MCs don't have screws. It's been a while since I've done this, but you unscrew the several layers of the switch housing. Eventually the switch will pull out the back of the module. If you take it out of the bulb tower the whole thing'll pop apart.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not had the nerve to cannibalize a MC yet myself. Have not had to.

Juan, have you looked at the MagLite web site? looked at the exploded diagram?

Five Mega knows how - I seen some pictures in one of his posts of one disassembled.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very long spanner wrench? I'm guessing you don't have it torn down as much as I thought. The first step is to unscrew the battery tube from the switch. Once you do that, any old spanner wrench will take off the back half of the switch assy. From there it's just a matter of pulling and unscrewing stuff until the bulb tower pulls out of the back.

iq2k

Newly Enlightened
The first step is to unscrew the battery tube from the switch. Once you do that, any old spanner wrench will take off the back half of the switch assy. From there it's just a matter of pulling and unscrewing stuff until the bulb tower pulls out of the back.

Wow that was easy:thumbsup:.
I used a my favourite non marring tool (a couple of bits of bike inner tube)And then found it was the only tool needed to strip this baby completely:eek:.

Thank you for the lesson ABTOMAT.
I have had a mag charger for well over 12 years but now it is going to get a led make over:devil:.
However can someone suggest a good heat sink or even suggest a specific mod as to lead me out of the dark:naughty:.
I do like the xml but also the SST-90:confused:.

Once again thanks ABTOMAT

Last edited: