How to remove snap ring from Maglite D cell to remove switch package?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Another thread called the snap ring "pesky" but it seems to have no means of removal save a special tool. Usually there are holes for snap ring pliers to grab.

How do you get this sucker out?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Remove the switch and just fiddle with it using a flat head screwdriver. Should pop out easily enough.

There is no gap to fit a screwdriver into. The snap ring is flat, at least 1/8" wide, fits into a groove in the barrel, and is laying in a flat "trough" on top of the switch. I can't lever it away from the barrel without simultaneously lifting it up. Impossible to do both things at once with a stick. Also its 1 3/4" deep, and the center post gets in the way of levering at an angle.

This is a 4 or 5 cell lite. Maybe 2D are different?

AND I AM NEVER ABLE TO REPLY UNTIL I QUIT THE THREAD AND GO BACK TO THE FORUM INDEX, OPEN IT AGAIN, AND REPLY TO THE THREAD. NEVER ABLE TO ' REPLY WITH QUOTE'

The following errors occurred with your submission
1. Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please reload the window.

swampgator

Enlightened
I'm not home right now so I don't have access to any of my Mags.
It will be next Friday before I get home. When I do I'll take a look at mine and see if I can describe the way I remove them.

Also how old of a Mag is this? I know they've changed a lot of the internals in the last few years. Could it be a newer design?