How to tell a fake G2 from a real one?

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
There's a lot of those chinese made knock off surefire g2's on ebay and other places. They look pretty much like the real thing in an internet photo.

Aside from not buying a G2 that ships from china are there any tips to tell a real one from a fake?

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
The inside of the tailcap is a clear giveaway. The fakes have a very different looking plunger and spring assembly. I would also be sceptical of any G2 that comes with a led drop-in.

Here's an example of the fake tailcap assembly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220707-094953.png
    Screenshot_20220707-094953.png
    903.2 KB · Views: 226

ledbetter

Enlightened
The inside of the tailcap is a clear giveaway. The fakes have a very different looking plunger and spring assembly. I would also be sceptical of any G2 that comes with a led drop-in.

Here's an example of the fake tailcap assembly.
I agree, it's the tailcap that's the dead giveaway. Plunger spring is not robust and the boot seems a smaller size. But overall, they work. It's a mechanical light, not much to break. I use old p60 incandescents in them for garage or loaners.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
As has been said in the past, we try not to post this information publicly to make it harder for clones to be made in the future. Tailcap is the easiest tell, generally just look for a worse looking/ quality piece overall. If you know you have a real one, a quick comparison between the two will generally reveal the fake.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If it comes with a clip……it's probably a fake. I did consider buying one for the clip but decided not to.
Buy from a reputable dealer, not some Amazon or eBay seller for best results. Yeah you pay more but you don't get a fake.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Thanks to all for the info.

I have a green g2 on order and now I can determine if it's the real deal or not. I think it is but we'll see.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen one in person, but just from the pictures I've seen, the polymer on the fake G2's just looks a lot rougher.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess would be the two on the right look like possible fakes to me. Maybe all of them. I've seen the green OD ones on ebay as well for years. But I feel like the texture is really off on the one on the far right. I'd have to see them all in person though.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Only the one on the left is definitely a phony. All others appear and feel authentic and were purchased from reliable sources. The left one does feel different, tailcap sucks, gaskets, o rings and lens all crap too. But in a pinch, I'd rather have it with a Surefire tailcap and Malkoff m61L than most PRC crap on the market.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost impossible to tell in pictures. Some fakes are even hard in person. Again, probably best not to continue down this trail in a public setting to prevent the further betterment of fakes. From that image alone I would guess only one of those may be fake, but something also worth noting is that production versions changed over time and I would bet batch vs batch would change the exact color/ texture/ pattern of the nitrolon material.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one like second from right with short tailcap. Early G2's the switches inners weren't riveted. Other than switch falling apart during battery replacement, it was a great toolbox flashlight

ledbetter

Enlightened
I had one like second from right with short tailcap. Early G2's the switches inners weren't riveted. Other than switch falling apart during battery replacement, it was a great toolbox flashlight
I agree. Tough and light. Short switch ones got a m61 4L n sst20 and I use it all the time. I keep checking the 16650 battery and it's always above 4v. I think the last time I charged it was like October. That was a good group buy, thanks dot!

SMar

Newly Enlightened
Some fakes have a different thread pattern at the head end and won't accept SF C heads. The logo on fakes is textured versus smooth. A side by side comparison with a genuine G2 will also show different thicknesses of the head and tailcap rims.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Should not be surprising. 5% of all new products purchased are counterfeit and this design is not complicated and I think(not sure) the original manufacturer no longer has it in production. I would be more concerned about the fake medications you might be taking or the knock off brake pads in your car.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the best way to tell is just from the tailcap. Can you feel any texture difference between the fake one and the real lights?

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The G2 finally came in and it seems real to me. Same guts as a c3 tailcap.

A27D63D4-89EA-4584-9291-7AC551C4A5B0.jpeg

A good sign when it comes with a p60. The lube on the threads even looks like the kind that sf uses. I don't think this light was ever used in any real sense.

8BABBA33-BF32-49DD-8FCA-72F18EC82E6E.jpeg