how to use nixie tube

star882

Enlightened
Do you know how to use this nixie tube?
DCP_0325.JPG

By connecting the filament to 3v and the grid and anode to 12v with respect to the filament, i can get it to glow.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
No access to the picture I`m afraid, but try this site:

http://electricstuff.co.uk

It has a lot of info on Nixie tubes of all kinds, and the site`s creator is very knowledgeable on the subject so you may like to ask him too.

Sounds like you actually have a low voltage filament display- as the true Nixies use neon gas and need some 70-90 volts to glow. It would be interesting to see it.

wink.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is not a NIXIE tube, it is a vacumn-florescent

A NIXIE tube is a set of digits, 0-9 connected to negative filled with Neon

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Yup, that's definitely a vacume fluorescent tube or VFT for short. Really common in VCRs and similar consumer equipment. Filament runs on low voltage, grids run on anywhere from 10-35 volts, and I think the grid needs an AC waveform but I'm not sure. I haven't fiddled with one of these for ages.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, having now seen the photo, that`s a Vacuum Flourescent Display, definately. Harvested from a dead VCR?

Nixie tubes are neon gasfilled and usually comprise a stack of ten metal wire figures of numbers 0-9, and a grid behind them. Application of DC voltage between that rear grid and one of the figures causes it to glow and indicate a number. Nixie tubes were also made which had a "starburst" or "figure-8" arrangement, that work like the VFD, LCD and LED numeric/alphanumeric displays, except they glow orange of course. To me though, you can`t beat the classic "ionized gas in a bottle" figural number Nixie. I`m not old enough to remember them the first time round, but since their discovery I have gained a great appreciation for this much maligned display technology.

dana3800.jpg

Used reguarly as part of my testing procedures. Tht meter not only looks great and is easy to read, but it also accurate to within 0.01 volt of another meter (the Fluke below it) that I had proffessionally calibrated. Can`t beat that!

grin.gif

star882

Enlightened
I found this in a parts box along with old PC motherboards, hard drives, and all sorts of wierd parts.
I even found a block that gets cold on one side and hot on the other.
I want to install this display tube on the front of my old PC(Pentium Pro 200Mhz,128MB SRAM).

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can`t really help further with your desired application - the last (and only) time I had a VFD to play with, I dropped the silly thing while trying to hook up the grid heater supply
frown.gif

I even found a block that gets cold on one side and hot on the other

AKA Peltier Cooler Module. Neato things to experiment with. I have a design here for a homebrew personal air-con unit using solar panels, a few Peltier coollers, some flexible ducting and a pair of large CPU cooler fans.

Again tho, there`s that small matter of finding the time, plus the excessibely hot weather to inspire me to build the silly thing. It usually just rains here in Wales. Not that I`m complaining mind you, I hate hot weather....
rolleyes.gif

star882

Enlightened
These display tubes used to be common, but now thy are going to LEDs. I found out that the old flat screen monitors have VFDs, but now that there are blue LEDs to complete the RGB LEDs, they are LED based from now on.

star882

Enlightened
I am not looking for a standalone clock, I am looking for a way to install this tube in my old computer, so I can control the display with software.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will need a driver circuit, multichannel output card or serial port interface, and an advanced knowledge of programming to make this work. Above that, I know not. I have neither the degree of electronics nor programming knowledge to help further, sorry.

Seems like a lot of grief, for just a bit of fun. I don`t mean to pee on your Cheerios but if it were me I`d not bother.

FYI the time is prominently displayed at the bottom right of all Windows screens. Unless you`re running Linux, or something?

wink.gif
tongue.gif

star882

Enlightened
I have windows 2000, and I do not want to have the taskbar show all the time(wastes screen space).
I think it is annoying to move the mouse to the bottom of the screen every time I want to see the time.
Of course, I want to view CPU usage and RAM usage as well.
I will have it powered by the internal power supply(my PC has 12v,5v,and 3.3v), and connected to the serial header.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Edited because it was just a stupid post (Quiet you)

I'll never take 2 Excedren again...