How's The Weather There ?

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The northern portion of the storm aint so bad. Well that depends on how far west you are on the eastern seaboard. It's all spread out like a hurricane as it marches north east.

It's the second half that packs a punch for a fairly good right hook.

68776AB8 32BC 4B47 8026 F27A08C5C870

101F1F20 548D 4A00 A957 BAB883BFBEA1

Note the dark green is slowly moving west as the storm moves north. See the line at 3:20 and 6:10

3E3761AA A161 437F ADB3 4993444C6239

Winds have not been so bad either. Gusts of around 15 or so.

Yet it appears the cold air up north will probably result in that green staying off the coast at NY north.

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yeah I think this is going to be mostly a snow event except for the eastern edge of the storm.

thermal guy

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I’ll let you know when it hits😁

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I'm right on the line. If it goes five miles East, I'll get all snow, Five miles West... all rain. With the ground as cold as it has been for the 48 hours preceding the precipitation, it may be freezing rain. That's the worst. Since I don't have to travel until 10:15 AM whatever we have the roads should be salted if necessary, because they do a good job, and it will be after the morning rush hour. Roads are really bad when the snow comes down during rush hour, when all of the cars are in the way of the plows/salters.

For the last few years, they have been spreading saltwater on the roads prior to an impending storm. I've been told that prevents the ice from sticking to the road so that when they run over it with the plows, they scrape closer to the actual road surface. I've also been told that further up North they use beet juice.

raggie33

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it was so insane here wind so fast i kept thinking a door or windows was blown open since my interior doors kept shaking. and i was prepered to deal with everything has all batts charged video games ready to play kind of want to lose power to play with my fllashlights .and my luck it went out soon as the sun has risen lol

thermal guy

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I'm right on the line. If it goes five miles East, I'll get all snow, Five miles West... all rain. With the ground as cold as it has been for the 48 hours preceding the precipitation, it may be freezing rain. That's the worst. Since I don't have to travel until 10:15 AM whatever we have the roads should be salted if necessary, because they do a good job, and it will be after the morning rush hour. Roads are really bad when the snow comes down during rush hour, when all of the cars are in the way of the plows/salters.

For the last few years, they have been spreading saltwater on the roads prior to an impending storm. I've been told that prevents the ice from sticking to the road so that when they run over it with the plows, they scrape closer to the actual road surface. I've also been told that further up North they use beet juice.
Some states use coal dust I think. Makes t real easy to see the road

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Yeah, I think up here they blend in cinders, which adds grit, and traction. Unfortunately after a few days, the beautiful white snow is filthy and sad to look at.

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yeah, I think up here they blend in cinders, which adds grit, and traction. Unfortunately after a few days, the beautiful white snow is filthy and sad to look at.
I think some cities have tried beet juice. That must look awful when it gets tracked inside on a white carpet.

If you're in the path of this storm and your state's DOT offers public access to highway cams, this is a good time to make use of them.

Last edited:
bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Here's hoping folks in the north east US made it without much issue. I see a few posting, but a few not posting. Hopefully it's just they're busy enjoying life.

scout24

scout24

Staff member
Minus 11.2° here this morning. Experience tells me we'll lose about another degree by sunrise. I don't recall seeing it this cold in my adult life. There's a pleasant breeze, too. Not sure about the windchill.
20220122 050618

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Wow! Minus 11 real temperature! I don't know if my furnace could keep up. Although we keep our thermostat at about 72 F.

We were at 9 F with a feels like -2 this morning. I let the dog out, and he did a real quick loop and was right back in.

At 57 F, its time to put another log on the fire. :)

Chauncey Gardiner

Chauncey Gardiner

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Minus 11.2° here this morning. Experience tells me we'll lose about another degree by sunrise. I don't recall seeing it this cold in my adult life. There's a pleasant breeze, too. Not sure about the windchill.
I don't like to question another man's honesty, but I don't believe that breeze is any too pleasant. :yellowlaugh:

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
For once we were on the right side of the line. Outter bands of another storm barely crossed onto my side of the rain/snow line. Only this time it was a "snowblower or leaf blower" line. It was the eastern part of the state that got plastered. I doubt our friends at OBX are doing any surfing today. Brrrrr.

A light dusting of powder covered up my area while we slept. It stopped just before sunrise so a broom was the car cleaning tool for a change. We are on the plus side of 11 degrees and no the breeze is not pleasant.

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The snow storm hitting the NE so far dropped 18 inches at the Jersey shore by my brother and dad. We are predicted to get 8 inches, at this point I think we have 3 inches, but the wind is so strong, and the snow so light it is drifted. Here is a pic of my driveway, it ranges from 0 inches, to 15 inches.

It will continue to snow here until around noon. I'll wait for the snow to stop, maybe the wind before I'll go out and clear any snow away. Otherwise, once it is cleared, the wind will just blow it back.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Looking at the radar this morning it looked like Boston was in the 'eye of the storm' if you will. It was weird to look at the radar at noon yesterday and see nothing, but at 5pm, holy smokes somebody's going to get plastered tonight.

Again the I-95 line in my state meant snow or not as the outter bands brought us a dusting. What started out as a very wet snow quickly melted on objects like brick steps and concrete sidewalks but things like wooden and polymer decks froze like a bridge deck due to cold air flowing beneath.

The little snow brushed off easily but underneath was a 1/4" of ice so I used the back side ridges of an ice scraper to rough up surfaces of my elderly neighbors frozen steps then brushed the powdery snow over that for traction aid.

6143F2FA 6764 4ECC 8D70 5DE5E7439A04

Got to it before the dogs packed it down.

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I think we got about 6 inches. It's hard to tell, because much of it was wind-blown, many areas of my yard had only about an inch, others a bit more.

My day went really well.

Before I was ready to go out, my neighbor across the street was using a battery powered electric shovel. It would only blow the snow forward, and the wind was blowing, she looked like she ran through a flour factory during a wind storm. It was about an hour or two before I'd be ready to go out, so I didn't help.

Then my next door neighbor, his wife, and adult daughter, cleared their cars, and with his snowblower, the driveway. He proceeded to go across the street, and do her driveway, and sidewalk. Nice guy!

Just then my internet went out! Oh Ahhhgh, I don't have cable TV, I use the internet to stream channels. I guess I may as well go out and do my driveway, etc. Oh no!!! My neighbor, had already made two passes in my driveway. All I could do is give him a two thumbs up!!!

I worked on Thursday, and no one was home, so thankfully, his wife let my dog out twice. As a thankyou, yesterday, I made chicken marsala with gnocci, and I gave them three full portions. At any rate, I am fortunate to have really great neighbors. As a result, I didn't go out all day. I am still in my PJ's. :)

There's a weather prediction saying... "Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in morning, sailor take warning."

It was much more RED than this picture depicts.
Tomorrow will be a nice day, although still below freezing.

thermal guy

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
5ADDF958 FC84 4F0D 95CF 810EB7D513A3

10 below! Yahooooo😁😁

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
We are very fortunate because although we got some freezing rain yesterday, the ground had a couple of days to warm up prior. The ground crews were able to pretty much stay ahead of it with salt on the roads, but they had to pay special attention to bridges and overpasses.

About only 60 miles away though, those people got hammered. Kingston reported that 67% of their homes were without power due to an ice storm bringing down trees and power lines. 40% of their roads are impassable. Temps will remain below freezing until Monday.