How's The Weather There ?

Poppy

Flashaholic
It's Autumn south of the Mason Dixon with a hint of winter in the morning(s). Good word CG.

Hey Poppy, if you have lawn shaded by trees the leaves combined with grass clippings make great fertilizer. Find a corner of the yard to build a roughly 6' x 6' corral, run the leaves over with the mower then vacuum them up with the mower (after the blades chopped them up), deposit into your corral.

Then in Spring bag up the first few mows of grass and place the clippings in the corral over the leaves. Stir about once a month. Don't worry that the pile is waste high. By late summer you'll have a 1' thick layer of loamy fertilzer you spread over the yard before a mow. Mow over the fertilizer to spread it evenly. Within a couple of years you'll see a huge difference in how well the grass under the trees survive hot, dry weather without watering.

First year I lived in my current house the tree shaded yard was barren and when I cut grass it kicked up a lot of dust. My grass clippings came from the back yard. I made a batch of fertilizer that Fall and stirred it all winter. The next September I spread it thick over new grass seed (creeping red fescue) just ahead of hurricane Irene. That winter I had grass. Lots of it too. In the Spring I had a thin layer of topsoil. I spread what was left the first time I cut the grass that year. It took a few years of applying it but when I had the trees removed there were no bald spots in the yard anymore, not even under the trees. Weeds aren't really an issue anymore either. Just clover but clover is your yards friend. Plus it draws endangered honey bees.

One year I used about 95% of the leaves as mulch for flower beds, mixing it with the sandy silt soil at 12" deep. Now it's 12" of well draining sandy loam.

While my neighbors are watering their brown lawns in summer I'm hoping it doesn't rain 'cause I'm sick of cutting grass every 4 days in the summer heat. Now that the trees are gone and the yard gets full sun the you can almost see the grass grow.

Plucking weeds from flower beds is a breeze thanks to the loosely packed loam. If you decide to stop using the compost in the corral it'll disappear in a year or two.

It's sunny and cool on this black Friday with a sky littered with whispy high altitude clouds. The hounds are laying belly up on the sunny side of the house that also blocks the chilly breeze out of the north. Autumn is such a nice time of year here.
Thanks for the suggestion my friend @bykfixer but that sounds like too much work to me. LOL. Besides I don't want to give up that much of my yard to build a mulch pile.

Just as I supplement my diet with pill shaped vitamins, I feed my lawn with chemicals. I either borrow this from my neighbor,

1700870323449.png

Or I use a connect to the hose spray like this one. Actually I am not particular to the brand.
1700870412137.png

I use a similar method for killing mosquitos, the application takes only minutes.

I guess I am fortunate that I am on septic, and a good part of my back yard might be leach field. The grass almost never needs watering. Most of my lawn is zoysia and it is draught resistant. The portion under a large Maple tree has a different kind of grass growing under it. I guess it is more shade tolerant. It does get some sunlight later in the afternoon. So I don't have any barren, dustbowl spots.

The front lawn occasionally needs some additional water to keep it green during a draught because it gets sun all day long. I don't think I water it even six times a year.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Tonight is surprisingly mild, overall.
Might just grab my jacket instead of my coat.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Today was a beautiful day in the sun. Low fifties, but the temps certainly dropped when the sun went down, and the wind picked up, it is currently 36F with a wind chill in the upper 20's.
Today I cleared my rain gutters of Maple leaf seeds, and leaves. I had done that a couple of months ago, but with a large tree right next to my house, dropping leaves and seeds, it didn't take too long for them to fill up to overflowing.

In just a couple of months, I found that most of the debrii was seeds, I suppose because the leaves were light enough to get blown out of the gutter. The seeds though when wet began to degrade, and the resultant mulch/rotten seeds at times smelled like fermented partially digested grass that comes out of a horse's behind.

I removed enough to fill a 32 gallon garbage can. The tree is almost done dropping leaves, so I'll have to do this one more time before winter sets in.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NWS put us in a winter storm warning for Saturday, travel discouraged, etc. I just looked at the RADAR, and the weather looks like it will miss my area, so, I hope the NWS is wrong, as I have places to go and people to see tomorrow. Currently, it is in the 20's and blowing fairly gusty. Brrrrrr. It's going to be a three dog night, and I don't mean the rock band! :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
The NWS put us in a winter storm warning for Saturday, travel discouraged, etc. I just looked at the RADAR, and the weather looks like it will miss my area, so, I hope the NWS is wrong, as I have places to go and people to see tomorrow. Currently, it is in the 20's and blowing fairly gusty. Brrrrrr. It's going to be a three dog night, and I don't mean the rock band! :)
Brrrr.
I agree. I'm not liking this and it has only just begun. 26F and it won't go above freezing until 10 AM, and by 7PM it will be below freezing again.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We have a wind chime on the north, the east and west of the house. Each with it's own distict sound. Today the one being hit by the breeze out of the north is ringing like mad. You can almost hear it singing "baby it's cold outside".

If we hear the one on the east and west side we know it's a breeze out of the south.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its chilly omg i love it summer was brutal. omg fall is so great if all goes well tomorow im selling my scooter then tuesaday ill use money new tires on my motorcycle. then going for a ride omg im so glad summer is over. but its weird most people on my block go back to there other homes now. lol i can barely afford one home lol

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
El Niño did a number on my region. Normally the drought season ends after two or three weeks of above-average temperatures, between late September and mid-October. This year? Drought lasted until last Friday, in late November. We've had two entire months with basically no rain and temperatures ranging between 39-40ºC in the day and 27ºC+ in the middle of the night. Nasty business.

I've NEVER been so glad to need to bring an umbrella when I go out of the house. The clouds are thick, the daytime is dark, and I say 'bring it on' :buttrock:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It got cold here. I heard something on the local broadcast station about like 11F? maybe? Brrrrrr! Anyway, it started snowing yesterday, and just would not quit! "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..." Listening to the scanner, LE was running all day on slide-offs and accidents. Finally SO declared emergency accident reporting protocol, injury and blocking traffic accident reporting only. Minor fender benders, just exchange insurance info and report accident to LE within 48 hours. I think we got around 6 inches, looking at the piled up snow on things. Temps were mainly in the 20's F I think. Today, no snow, sunny, temps up in low 40'sF. Things are melting, melting, meltiiiing. (Wizard of Oz reference, for those who don't know). Anyway, it's going to freeze again tonight, so...possible ice skating on the roads and streets again tonight. I'll be listening to the scanner for the carnage.

Have a nice night, and keep warm! 😀

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
It got cold here. I heard something on the local broadcast station about like 11F? maybe? Brrrrrr! Anyway, it started snowing yesterday, and just would not quit! "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..." Listening to the scanner, LE was running all day on slide-offs and accidents. Finally SO declared emergency accident reporting protocol, injury and blocking traffic accident reporting only. Minor fender benders, just exchange insurance info and report accident to LE within 48 hours. I think we got around 6 inches, looking at the piled up snow on things. Temps were mainly in the 20's F I think. Today, no snow, sunny, temps up in low 40'sF. Things are melting, melting, meltiiiing. (Wizard of Oz reference, for those who don't know). Anyway, it's going to freeze again tonight, so...possible ice skating on the roads and streets again tonight. I'll be listening to the scanner for the carnage.

Have a nice night, and keep warm! 😀
Sounds like tire chain weather to me.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Nearing 0F windchill first light this morning,
I have snow on top of leaves I didn't deal with. poop:poke:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wild weather on the east coat of the US.

At 4am Raggie was filming lightning in Alabama. (See the celphone cam boon or bane thread)
I guess that's the gulf coast. It moved east and nortth after sunrise.
I'm far enough north west of a powerful cell to be ok but the coast line may be getting a twister as I type this.

It was 70 at 2pm (and raining) with snow expected at 2am.
IMG_2215.jpeg

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like a typhoon is possible in Australia. The day before yesterday I looked at wind maps and noticed a vortex that was moving from the equator to the south with a wind speed of 19-25 m/s inside. Now I decided to look at the news and it really is there

1702312042687.png

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
In a bizarre turn of events for December summer, we had a foggy early morning today. Normally that only happens in May or June when it's relatively cold - we must've had a cold front hit during the night. As usual for fog, it didn't last long, the sun always disperses any fog we get by around 8AM at the latest.

I'm just glad the weather is relatively normal again.