Human Night Vision Preservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcozy

Enlightened
Re: Red light challenge!

What a thread!!! I had to read this one about five times to get a grip on it.

CPF has to have some of the most informed folks on the planet, well done.

Kristofg

Enlightened
Re: Red

Philips has one of those energy-saving lamps called a softtone in the form of a normal lamp, but with a pinkish coating which generates a kind of soft red light. I have one of these in my room and I have noticed that you can switch it on and off almost without loss of night vision, which isn't the case with the other colors. I know it uses about ten watts and that's more than enough to light the entire room for reading.

B@rt

Flashaholic

Hi Kristofg,

I know the "Softtone" lamps, and to be honest, the amount of light produced by them is sufficient to kill true nightvision.. Did you ever try to go into a really dark enviromment afterwards? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
You definately loose a lot of your nightsight, due to the shear amount of light produced by the Softtones...

YMMV though...

Kristofg

Enlightened

I didn't mean to say that it does give you perfect night vision, I just wanted to say that the pink softtone lamp seems to give off much more light than the white ones do once you get used it. I found that I could see a lot more in my room with the pink ones than with the other colors available.

Wim Hertog

Enlightened

Yes, this could be normal...incandescent lights give most of their visible light energy in the red part of the spectrum. If you take, lets say, a blue color filter, the amount of light that passes the filter is much less, so this could be a logical explanation.

B@rt

Flashaholic

Wim, as I understood they are not incandescent but cfl, wich means there isn't much ir radiation produced... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Kristofg

Enlightened

They are cfl, but I think the difference is simply the color of the light. Red light seems to be kinder than white light to night vision. I can't take pictures to show it (unless someone invents a camera with working eyeballs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) But then again, it might simply be that there is less light with the pink/red lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.