Hurricane Irene...

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDAdd1ct, You mentioned that you were away so perhaps you missed the discussion earlier in this thread where I suggested using the excellent site Wunderground for tracking the storm. Then, LuxLuthor recommended the also excellent Stormpulse. Now I use both. Both sites offer some similar features but Stormpulse charges a fee for many of the higher end functions that Wunderground offers for free and unlike Stormpluse it is not quite as focused on tracking storms so I find myself gravitating to Wunder for that reason and the depth of data it offers.

Since I am more familiar with Wunderground, and to sort of answer your question try the Hurricane Katia computer modeling page. Once there try clicking on any or all of the 14 boxes at the top of the page for a wide range of information about the projected course of the storm.

Especially, try the WunderMap page which I find to be the most powerful interactive weather map on the internet. It is essentially a highly customized online hybrid of Google Earth with a lot of data not available on Google earth. It is very similar to Stormpulse in that you click on radio buttons on the right hand side of the page for different functions and overlays but it is far more configurable. For example, unlike Stormpulse you can zoom out and see the entire planet several times over! You can also zoom into an incredible micro level of detail. I like that you can change the opacity, fill and sensitivity of various overlays so for example you can engage the satellite imagery to look at the cloud layers but you can dial them down so you can see through them or turn them off. You can also animate and control the radar function. The map offers a dizzying array of information.

To get started, go HERE and then zoom out until you get the northern hemisphere including the Atlantic Ocean. Then click on Hurricane in the menu on the right hand side of the page. Getting back to your original question try the "Potential Track Area" button in the hurricane menu. Once you get your feet wet with this try experimenting with the other functions to see what the hurricane is up to. The map can constantly refresh itself so you can just leave it up on your screen to monitor the storm. (edit: If you engage too many radio button functions at the same time it can slow down the updating of the display to some degree because the site is running many scripts simultaneously.)

In my view this latest version of the Wunderground site is perhaps the most comprehensive weather site available. Some folks miss the "Classic" Wunderground site and I did too at first until I started to explore what they are offering here.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I clicked on the Stormpulse link. Looks like Tropical Depression Thirteen is closer.

Update.
Just saw "U.S. states declare emergency as Tropical Storm Lee forms" on the CTV news website.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Keep an eye on Lee, if any of that mess makes landfall, it's 10+ inches of rain.. New Orleans AM news stations are currently running scheduled programming, so they're okay for now..

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hurricane Irene flashlight use

Lee is going to be a PITA here in Pirate Town but at least there will be no surge or high winds. We worry about slow moving systems dumping many, many inches of rain.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
They list the various models that have all sorts of assumptions and assessments of variables. They only go out so far. Despite it looking like it is heading for east coast, these usually veer northward and stay out to see...but not always.

nbp

Flashaholic
We had some severe storms early this morning and the power's been out a couple hours. I feel for those on the coast who haven't had it in days. Tbe irony is I'm going camping this weekend but getting ready to go this morning is tougher. I guess we're starting early.