Hurricane Irma is barreling down towards Miami and chargers are working overtime...

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
:faint:
Not very nice judging people.
I only go after the Billionaires!

Besides, we sent tens of thousands of dollars of things to the areas hit. The more I think about it, this guy had no reason to stay to protect a house he knew was going to be lost.

Also, he knew under martial law, he could not return immediately, had he left, so whatever it is, he had to stay and that is a huge risk.

I think he was protecting something at that house, he did not want BVI authorities or Royal Marines to get a hold of, Anyone's guess, but it is a strange set of circumstances when one million people evacuate Florida with next to nothing, and a billionaire stays on for a direct hit, and for no real reason - that can't be explained.

Maybe be something he can't get into the United Kingdom, EU, or USA? However, the Caribbean has been a hiding place for 500 years, and this guy has a transportation network larger than most countries. Which would be ideal.

Even today, there is little supervision in that part of the world, mostly on land. Who knows, maybe it is some tech thing he is hiding...I don't know? Just remember Bill Clinton's friend who had an island there somewhere, and what was alleged to have gone on, or a million other things these people do and want to keep secret.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Another thing we're constantly being told is bad, Mansplaining. However, sans condescension, we all know it's a good thing. It's the way we're wired, ladies. Get used to it.

~ Chance

Exactly.

Mrs. Fixer is on board with explanations until I whip out pen and paper... she says it's calming to get an explanation, but is afraid she'll fall asleep and start snoring when the pen and paper comes out....

She has a very creative spirit but sometimes seeks advice on thinking inside the box when some of her trial and errors tend to be more errors than success. So I get to peak inside that fertile mind of hers in order to discover her goals in said trials.

Neither of us understand conventional wisdom so we bounce all kinds of potential scernarios in this "image is everything" world we live in. It cuts down the frustrations, keeps us focused as a team of 2 vs the kids, and generally solidifies our friendship.

Take Irma for example: while Floridians were clamoring for bottled water, so were Virginians. When Irma was still over Cuba our stores were sold out too. So we put our thoughts together on preparing a bunch of water for the aquarium, the lizard and house plants in case Irma hit us too.

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As one who lives in tornado alley, and who has studied tornadoes, I can assure you that the old "open the windows to equalize the pressure" is nonsense. Tornadoes destroy homes by wind load exceeding the strength of the construction. Air moving over the roof creates lift, and wind pushing against walls push them in, then the roof lifts off and the rest of the house gets blown to splinters. Besides, there is enough wind-borne debris along with wind load to break out windows. Once the high speed wind gets inside, it helps to blow the house apart. Opening windows is a bad idea because: 1) It delays you taking shelter, 2) it exposes you to wind-borne debris and broken glass fragments if the window breaks, 3) it does absolutely nothing to save the house, and in fact, by allowing wind inside, can create more damage than if left shut.

^ so noted, and concur.

My daughter msg'd & passed on photos from her friends apt on Sint Maarten. Hurricane Irma totally wrecked the inside of their apt, but the poured-concrete building itself survived.
Both sides of the eyewall of Irma with 185mph winds passed over Sint Maarten. all of the 'windward-side' windows were blown in, first in one direction and then in the other direction.
once an air stream at that velocity reaches the inside of an apt or building......end discussion.

my daughter went thru a Cat 4 hurricane on Sint Maarten. Although the apt was windward side, it was shielded by a hill. no windows were broken.
Caribbean hurricanes are nasty!

Now Hurricane Maria is predicted to hit the same northern Leeward Islands, predicted to be a Cat 3 by then.
fortunately most of the tourists and even much of the population has been evacuated from those islands.

btw: a quirk of St. Marten (French) vs Sint Maarten (Dutch):
Since the island is divided between French and Dutch control, anyone remaining on the island & obtaining government-provided rations is 'controlled' as to which side of the island they live on. even in the middle of destruction, the Gov. will control who receives what!

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
^ so noted, and concur.

My daughter msg'd & passed on photos from her friends apt on Sint Maarten. Hurricane Irma totally wrecked the inside of their apt, but the poured-concrete building itself survived.
Both sides of the eyewall of Irma with 185mph winds passed over Sint Maarten. all of the 'windward-side' windows were blown in, first in one direction and then in the other direction.
once an air stream at that velocity reaches the inside of an apt or building......end discussion.

my daughter went thru a Cat 4 hurricane on Sint Maarten. Although the apt was windward side, it was shielded by a hill. no windows were broken.
Caribbean hurricanes are nasty!

Now Hurricane Maria is predicted to hit the same northern Leeward Islands, predicted to be a Cat 3 by then.
fortunately most of the tourists and even much of the population has been evacuated from those islands.

btw: a quirk of St. Marten (French) vs Sint Maarten (Dutch):
Since the island is divided between French and Dutch control, anyone remaining on the island & obtaining government-provided rations is 'controlled' as to which side of the island they live on. even in the middle of destruction, the Gov. will control who receives what!

I heard earlier today that Maria had already hit Cat 5.