Hurricane Isaac !!

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Been watching the progress of this storm, Hope everyone in areas that might get hit have left or battened down the hatches. Looks like a bad one. They had a dude on the news buying batteries for his flashlight, hopefully not a problem for most of you ;)

Good luck, I hope it decides to fizzle out or veer off-course but definitely looks like you are in for some pretty fierce weather.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wondered when we'd get a thread on this. I meant to start one earlier but got sidetracked.

Looks like flooding is going to be the main problem given the overall size of the storm.

Earlier, it looked like it might be coming up through the middle of my state (AL) so this past weekend I charged up all my AA batteries just in case. A major distribution center for the state was wiped out last year so I suspect it may still be shaky, hence my preparations.

Based on the latest it looks like I won't see any of the storm at all. Good luck to the people out there in the path.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a big storm but not very well developed. A couple of hours ago NHC described it as very unsymmetrical. It was entraining huge amounts of dry air which was knocking down the thunderstorms that are usually ahead of big storms. It completely missed turning into a hurricane when it got over the hot water in the Gulf. That's weird. It is slowly building but it no longer has as much time left before landfall.

I spent the last two days getting ready for it. We are right on the track. No one knows where it's going. It is very chaotic. The Spaghetti models don't work with poorly organized storms like Isaac and now there is less time to power up.

It is even possible that Isaac could still make landfall as a TS though you probably won't hear that on CNN. It is still eyeless. It is still possible that Isaac could make landfall as a TS.

I'm not at all trying to minimize the threat but this is weird. Its big and slow moving and wet and likely to turn into a rain event, especially if it stalls and trains.

I'd like to be wrong but I think its going to be wet in New Orleans for the next two or three days...really wet. We're expecting to loose power for a day or two...at least.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'll be listening to WWL - they're the local New Orleans emergency news AM station, and they always take a lot of calls, so you get unfiltered info from lots of areas. You can listen in at their website or the TuneIn site/app.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NHS is finally calling Isaac a hurricane. (According to the NHC TS Isaac should have been a hurricane a day and a half ago -- oops) I think they're nutz. Yes, it has finally developed minimum hurricane force winds-- I'll give them that. This is the first thing I've ever seen a hurricane THAT HAS NOT DEVELOPED AN EYE. It doesn't pass the duck test.

The NHC is delusional.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, whatever it is, take care and dont underestimate it and natures force, not that you will I know. Watch your head, and other parts. With your preps and experience I am sure all will turn out well.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even coming ashore as a massive TS Isaac is a terrible threat. Its only moving at 10 mph, which means it will dump far more rain than if it were moving faster. I fear that it will wobble ashore at ten mph and then slow to four mph over land and soak us for days...

It will be very bad for very many. I'll repeat from my first post that I am not minimizing the seriousness of the situation. I just don't like being talked to like a retarded child by our brain-dead Press or our politicians who feel it is more prudent for us to die anywhere but in their jurisdictions.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
69,000 without power in LA state, roughly half is the city of New Orleans. Electrical crews stopped work at 5:30 PM local time due to unsafe conditions, they will not return until winds are under 30 mph.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Hoping everyone is safe on this storm and the flooding kept in check
,,being a glass half full kinda guy, very beneficial rains should be had in southern central US

drmon.gif

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
9:04 pm-

It looks like Isaac has lost its steering. It has made landfall and has stalled at the mouth of the river. Bad news for a great many. While sitting still it just dumps more tropical rain on the same place(s). Bad as that is it also means that the tropical rain will continue until the storm gets out of the region.

It's looking more and more like a rain and surge event.

This is really bad.

I've had sags since the afternoon that have caused me to reboot my computers three times and my routers twice.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
The ways it looks right now, The eye may not even reach my home. It's projected to pass 7 miles from my home though. We have a generator and the power goes out for awhile every now and then but then the generator kicks on and all is well. It looks like it's stalling though. Last I heard, it was moving at only 7 MPH.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read on CNN that 150 calls for rescue have come in from Plaquemines Parish. I'm wondering why there are so many? Is this a flood zone, or did a levy overflow? Just curious why people who should've had plenty of advanced warning didn't get out of dodge before Isaac hit.

PapaLumen

Enlightened

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I keyed in on:

"We knew we had a potential storm surge of nine to 12 feet--we had an eight foot levee," Plaquemines Parish president Billy Nungresser said on CNN.

It indicates they had forewarning of flooding, but stayed anyway. I guess I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone in the New Orleans area who decided to "ride it out" knowing what could possibly happen based on historical evidence from Katrina.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
600,000 without power now, including more than 75% of the Orleans parish. Starting to see some mandatory evacuations in near-water areas, and a dusk to dawn curfew is now in place. Nearly all 2,000+ police officers have reported to duty, only four looting arrests.

guardpost3

Enlightened
My brother has been deployed to a staging area in Baton Rouge with his DRT team.

If you are in the area please stay safe.

My brother's DRT convoy of ambulances en route from Texas.
575561_10151128889282630_460696007_n.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
85% of Orleans and Jefferson parishes without power. The National Guard has announced that there will be a deliberate breech of the Plaquemines levee, no time given.