Hurricane Matthew

sgt253

Enlightened
I do not live anywhere near the affected areas but wanted to say "Be safe!" to those that do. If there is anything that our Members need closer to the affected areas, post it here, there is strength in numbers! Further, if there is/was anything that worked particularly well when all is said and done, please post it here too (...in the spirit of SubUmbra). Best to all!

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Vero Beach Florida, it's going to pass 20 miles off our coast. We closed the office and kissed it goodbye today at noon, as we are on the beach. If There's any saving grace, I've got enough batteries and flashlights for the whole neighborhood.

Capolini

Banned
I'm in Vero Beach Florida, it's going to pass 20 miles off our coast. We closed the office and kissed it goodbye today at noon, as we are on the beach. If There's any saving grace, I've got enough batteries and flashlights for the whole neighborhood.

Best of luck to you. My Father lives on Hutchinson Island in Jensen beach...not far from you.He lives in a high rise right on the ocean!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that thing looks menacing. Did y'all see that satellite picture that made it look like a skull? Freaky! Good luck to everyone in the areas about to be slammed. It looks slow moving and very dangerous.

kssmith

Enlightened
Yeah; should be interesting. We are praying.
I'm in the Lowcountry of SC. Over 70% of my county is swamp. So, My family is leaving in the morning. As a Leo, I'll be staying around.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
kssmith, good luck. Thank the Lord for brave men and women like you. Make sure you have plenty of spare cells on hand or charged up. I am sure you do. The moving slow part of this storm could really take a toll on power grids. I know most of the Coastal areas have underground systems, but if you are in swamp, that is typically poles. You folks could have some serious issues with hours of sustained winds.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
kssmith, good luck. Thank the Lord for brave men and women like you. Make sure you have plenty of spare cells on hand or charged up. I am sure you do. The moving slow part of this storm could really take a toll on power grids. I know most of the Coastal areas have underground systems, but if you are in swamp, that is typically poles. You folks could have some serious issues with hours of sustained winds.

Seems to be the season, what with all the pre-election speechmaking...

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
Best of luck to you. My Father lives on Hutchinson Island in Jensen beach...not far from you.He lives in a high rise right on the ocean!

Hopefully he has hurricane construction and laminated windows. And if he is above the second floor, he should be ok, up to category 5 storm.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yeah; should be interesting. We are praying.
I'm in the Lowcountry of SC. Over 70% of my county is swamp. So, My family is leaving in the morning. As a Leo, I'll be staying around.
What does a zodiak sign have to do with acting foolishly?

If you drive an hour or two west, you'll be so much safer.

Capolini

Banned
I talked to my Dad a few hours ago. He called me from his cell phone and was actually driving to the West coast of FLA. to stay with his sister in law.

As I indicated earlier he lives on Hutchinson Island in Jensen Beach, FLA. which is 1 hour North of West Palm Beach,FLA. The East Coast of FLA. for those unfamiliar with the area.;)

p.s. My Dad is a CANCER not a LEO like my Mom!!!!!!:shakehead

sgt253

Enlightened
I talked to my Dad a few hours ago. He called me from his cell phone and was actually driving to the West coast of FLA. to stay with his sister in law.

As I indicated earlier he lives on Hutchinson Island in Jensen Beach, FLA. which is 1 hour North of West Palm Beach,FLA. The East Coast of FLA. for those unfamiliar with the area.;)

p.s. My Dad is a CANCER not a LEO like my Mom!!!!!!:shakehead

That's great to hear he is moving to a safer area. My friend has a condominium on Hutchinson Island at Jensen Beach, 5th floor. He is not there now thankfully. kssmith thanks for your service, former LEO here. I have Family in Orlando, Winter Haven, and Naples. Orlando and Winter Haven are prepped. Naples is opening her place for the others to evac to. Heard I-4 is a parking lot right now. All tolls are suspended and some evac commenced. Be safe!

Capolini

Banned
That's great to hear he is moving to a safer area. My friend has a condominium on Hutchinson Island at Jensen Beach, 5th floor. He is not there now thankfully. kssmith thanks for your service, former LEO here. I have Family in Orlando, Winter Haven, and Naples. Orlando and Winter Haven are prepped. Naples is opening her place for the others to evac to. Heard I-4 is a parking lot right now. All tolls are suspended and some evac commenced. Be safe!

Thank you both[kssmith/sgt253] LEO for your service.

Your friend probably lives within a mile or Two of My Dad! He lives on the 15th Floor of Islandia II Condo's.

I mentioned this before on another thread. It was brought up w/ a friend of mine from Calif. w/ all their natural disaster difficulties.

The area I live in[Suburbs of Philly] and certainly other parts of the Northeast are spared from just about every natural disaster.Flooding once in awhile but never affects my location[2 miles from the Schuylkill River], droughts are rare, earthquakes have been so low on the Richter scale they were not harmful,tornadoes, forest fires, ect. just about non existent.

I am grateful for that as I have lived in this area for 54 years. CAPO and I love the snow and BLIZZARDS which may come around every 2 or 3 years!

They are not on the same scale as a hurricane when it comes to damages and loss of life

On the other hand I hope that this catastrophic type hurricane is taken seriously by friends, family and the rest of the US Citizens that are going to be affected by it.I hope they ALL listened to the Governor of FLA.!:)

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone in the line of, or possibly in the line of Matthews, please be safe!

Pops n' Calvin

Poppy

Flashaholic
LOL!! I love this!!
But since you mention it; I am a Zodiac Leo as well! [emoji41]
LOL... :thumbsup:

Our town OEM has half a dozen Army surplus 6X6 trucks to aid in moving people out of flooded areas, and a small flotilla of boats. I hope your department has you well prepared with equipment, and that you don't need to use it.

Poppy

Flashaholic
When superstorm Sandy hit, our Governor Chris Christy, said... regarding the people on the barrier islands.

"Look... we told you to get out of there. If you choose to stay and get into trouble, I am not going to put my men's lives in danger, to try to get you out. You will be on your own." OR something like that.

I hope a similar sentiment is shared on your behalf.

The Weather Channel is giving strong warning to evacuate certain areas. They are warning of heart-breaking loss of life.

Potentially Catastrophic Hurricane Strike With 'Sandy-Like' Storm Surge For Parts of FL, GA, SC.

Strong words.

~ Chance

Last edited: