I’ve got 500+ cr123 batteries. What are some good flashlights that use them?

nbp

nbp

Flashaholic
Sure if you’re starting from scratch a li-ion setup makes more sense. But he already has the 500 primaries and he wants to use them. So he may as well have some fun. Easy enough to carry a second light in the event the first dies.

orbital

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Malkoff M61N neutral tint {3-cell}~ $50
Lumens Factory SP-9 {3-cell}~ $27 shipped

... 3-cell P60 hosts feel good in the hand
Medium investment & you have a great/fun light setup to enjoy usin' up your 123s'

the Malkoff only draws .8A

J

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the EX11.2 works well on CR123
that means less than 140 lumens max on used cells, with a ramping UI that goes all the way down to 0.01 lumens

ahIZf4X.jpg

Last edited:
desert.snake

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
As for the amount of charge 123, this is interesting, I used 2 pcs recently, I found it in the drawer of the table, now I remember that I received them in 2018 with the old SF, the expiration date is 2015, the voltage before use is 2.9 volts. They worked on HDS and discharged to 2.4 volts. I put them aside, now I look, they have 2.7 V again. When I put them back in the HDS, they work for a while and die again. I put them in G2 with an M61LL head - work great.

For the last 33 years, I see that long-term planning is a rather ungrateful thing, but sometimes it works. If have 500 batteries and follow all safety rules - the current is not more than 1.5 A, use before the expiration of 10 years, use only in unicellular flashlights, etc. Then can make something like a plan for their destruction:

1) Determine their expiration date, before which everything must be destroyed. In order not to create a bunch of small boxes with dates, can choose the number by the closest expiration date. If they were all used once during a short period of research on a boat, perhaps all of them are from the same box. For example, choose a date after 7 years.

2) 500 / 7 / 12 = 5.95, i.e. 6 batteries per month must be destroyed.

3) Depending on the number of lights, their power and frequency of use, these 6 batteries can be destroyed both within a month and during the day if a person is often forced to work in the dark, therefore, can make adjustments to the plan. People’s preferences or lifestyle are also changing, so new adjustments are inevitable.

In view of all this and what people said from above, 1 pc battery vampire is required, everything else is at the discretion.

I had 1 Peak LED solutions, I did not like - QTC material was quickly destroyed, sent the wrong shade of the diode, poor assembly - lack of sealing of head, did not receive a response or help from the manufacture, although ordered directly.

As a vampire, this can be a good thing if it can work on CR123, it is quite easy to disassemble and repair in case of problems.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-Flashlights-(formerly-QTC-Non-Battery-Crush)

ven

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Defo a +1 to using single cell lights. But that does not mean you dont need lots of these:whistle:

Find a nice E1e and burn through them incand style. HDS is another great option, but these are a little more careful on supping mah. Just max out on HDS output and provide help for the E1e :naughty:

tech25

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
With that many cells to burn through, have some fun!

I would go with what Ven and nbp suggested and go incan. get an E1E and an M6.

thermal guy

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
With that many cells you need a very inefficient light lol yep go with a 6P and some good old P60’s or lumens factory has incandescent‘s for it.Also with a duel cell setup like that you can let all of us know if you have ANY issues with them.

orbital

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

So V.Vox, what'd you dome up with?

W/ that many cells, you have to be doing something..

Lynx_Arc

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would sell/trade a bunch of them to get things that use the batteries myself as less and less people are using them and as people find out that rechargeables save money and when you top them off you have guaranteed runtime vs somewhat unknown runtime on a primary battery once you start using it often it is hard to calculate how much time is left on the partially used cell. One thing that a CR123 can be used for it replacing 2 alkaline cells in series in things to eliminate leak chances. If a flashlight uses 2AAs you may be able to hollow it out a little more and add some springs and use a 123 in it.

M

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight makes the Sidewinder Compact II that takes AA or CR123
may give that a try.

Last edited:
watt4

watt4

Enlightened
have a little fun with them. offer to trade twenty batteries for "something". see what you get offered. repeat.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
If you really want to use them in pairs it's time for a classic. Something from the 2010-014 LED era before massive draws were the norm.

A Streamlight TL2 LED. The 110 lumen version. SureFire G2L, a Pentagon LX2, a Pelican 2390. That sort of light. It's also amazing to see how great that era flashlights were.