I did something stupid

trojansteel

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 29, 2014
Messages
161
Location
Philly
I have two Nukes. I had been storing one in the nuke charger, unplugged. It stated in there for several months. When I went to swap the batteries, the nuke had exploded in the charger.

Was I not supposed to store a nuke in the charger???

:(

Anyone know if Guy is ok? I sent him a couple a couple emails over the last few weeks and haven't heard back.

He had typically been very responsive.
 

trojansteel

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 29, 2014
Messages
161
Location
Philly
I have two Nukes. I had been storing one in the nuke charger, unplugged. It stated in there for several months. When I went to swap the batteries, the nuke had exploded in the charger.

Was I not supposed to store a nuke in the charger???

:(

Anyone know if Guy is ok? I sent him a couple a couple emails over the last few weeks and haven't heard back.

He had typically been very responsive.

d70ec90de6e38d86ba79562508cebabe.jpg



081a3e5d095e0d6f0cb4e70261a51924.jpg
 

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
15,792
Location
CONUS, top left
Could you tell us a little about the storage environment ? .... Ambient temperature (max / min) and humidity ? Are you in a marine climate ? Any chance it could have gotten wet ?
 
Last edited:

Str8stroke

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
5,036
Location
On The Black Pearl
I never store any batteries on the charger. I read that was bad to do somewhere along time ago here. Search battery charging and storing here. Tons of threads.
 
Last edited:

Illum

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
13,052
Location
Central Florida, USA
Because chargers sense the voltage of batteries as they charge, it means there is current consumption on the cells when if the charger is in the off state. high enough for long enough and cells will drain out. If the cell has no overdischarge protection the cell voltage will sag beyond the safe limit and cause issues, explosion is quite rare but internal chemistry might be so far off that its not possible to recover a cell.
 

trojansteel

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 29, 2014
Messages
161
Location
Philly
Was kept in a drawer next to my bed. House is quite dry.

Because chargers sense the voltage of batteries as they charge, it means there is current consumption on the cells when if the charger is in the off state. high enough for long enough and cells will drain out. If the cell has no overdischarge protection the cell voltage will sag beyond the safe limit and cause issues, explosion is quite rare but internal chemistry might be so far off that its not possible to recover a cell.

I guess that's what happened! Didn't think there would be an issue if it the charger wasn't plugged in.
 

moozooh

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 11, 2011
Messages
492
Never store any battery plugged into any device, ever. None of such devices physically break the circuit on power off, which means the battery will slowly discharge even if not actively used.
 

Got Lumens?

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2011
Messages
2,149
Location
Champlain Valley
I believe the postpartum damage of this total discharge was caused by leaking hydrofluoric acid.
The vent on the top of the battery and entire case of the cell still look OK in the picture.
 
Top