I dropped my Spy 007

blackfly

Enlightened
Last week, while doing rounds outside the building I work at, I slipped on icy concrete fell flat on the ground. I was holding my new Spy 007 it slammed into the ground when I put my hands out to break my fall. Since I had decided to EDC this light, I knew it may eventually receive an occasional ding or scratch, but I didnt think tragedy would strike so soon. Anyway, after I went inside I thoroughly examined my Spy, and, to my surprise, I was unable to find even the slightest blemish. It still works fine too. I suspect that the reason it didnt get scratched or dinged was because there was a layer of ice covering the concrete that the light fell onto. It seemed like a pretty big impact though. I guess this demonstrates the light is rugged enough to EDC. Anyone else drop theirs?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
==================================================
========================
This post is from the HTML recovered from Google Cashed Data. It represents the information from the original posts made by various CPF members to this thread. Rebuilding this thread was necessary because the original posts were lost in the "Great CPF Server Crash of 2011".
========================
==================================================

Re: I dropped my Spy 007
Written by MoreToasties on 02-12-2011 01:39 PM GMT

Good story, thank you. While it's a shame you fell (hope you're alright :)), it's certainly encouraging to hear your light fared so well.

Written by Acid87 on 02-12-2011 04:41 PM GMT

blackfly said:
Last week, while doing rounds outside the building I work at, I slipped on icy concrete & fell flat on the ground. I was holding my new Spy 007 & it slammed into the ground when I put my hands out to break my fall. Since I had decided to EDC this light, I knew it may eventually receive an occasional ding or scratch, but I didn't think tragedy would strike so soon.
Power to you buddy. If I spent that type of cash I would be pretty careful how I use and carry it. I would have it in bubble wrap outside all the time. Hope you were ok too.

Written by bf1 on 02-12-2011 05:21 PM GMT

Who cares how one might spend discretionary funds. I known of no caskets lined with pockets. You can't take it with you. Go for itmy friend.

Written by Launch Mini on 02-13-2011 11:47 AM GMT

Glad you & theSPY are okay. Also glad to see someone other than me using them as an EDC.
Mine have swirl marks etc, but a day doesn't go by that they are not used at least 4 times ( 2 dog walks in the am and at least 2 at night), plus all the stuff in between.

Unknown
Written by blackfly on 02-13-2011 10:35 PM GMT

If I buy an expensive item, & it doesn't get used, I usually consider the item a waste of money. When I bought this light I was certain that I wanted it to ride inmy pocket daily. I would have had buyer's regret if I were to baby it & put it in a padded case in a drawer or safe. This is like buying a good watch that I'll wear every day & use frequently. I should get years of use out of it. Although I will be as careful as possible, I expect that my light may have serious signs of use a few years from now. So, I was curious if others who EDC this light have had mishaps like mine.

Written by Launch Mini on 02-14-2011 11:15 AM GMT

Not that bad, but I havedropped mine onto the ground. Using in it one hand with the dogs leash, and the other picking up after the dog. She bolted & jerked my hand & down went the light.
Knocked off the nightstand.

Unknown
Written by archer6817j on 02-14-2011 11:19 AM GMT

Glad it's okay! Love the fact you actually carry it. Nothing worse than a Ferrari that only sits in a garage :)

Written by derangboy on Unknown

Glad to hear you both survived! I'vedropped mine twice on to rocks. My only complaint is the battery contact was momentarily lost so I lost programming on that setting.

calflash

Enlightened
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I would love to know if there are anymore experiences proving a 007's toughness. I am especially curious (1) how much of a dunking they can take and (2) how do they fair with dust/dirt. Does the knob get gritty?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read about someone running their 007 under a faucet with no problem. Lint/dust under the switch hasn't affected performance of my 007. If you have gravel, dirt or sand in your pants pockets I can see that as a potential problem.

As for overall toughness? I dropped mine on a porcelain bowl my cat drinks milk from. It chipped the bowl and there is a small scar on the 007 body, but nothing major. I've used the snot out of it the past month and it's still beautiful. It's one of those lights that if you keep using, the better it gets. :)

I love this flashlight.

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is dirt in every pocket. Well, maybe not if you got brand-new pants on! The knob is impervious to that sort of thing.

Use daily, be happy. ;)

Cheers
Dave

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

Not to go off topic but your flashlight saved the day. Not only is it rugged, it can fend off criminals too. :) You can read the full story here.

Last edited:

calflash

Enlightened
There is dirt in every pocket. Well, maybe not if you got brand-new pants on! The knob is impervious to that sort of thing.

Use daily, be happy. ;)

Cheers
Dave

Thanks for your comments! It is nice to have the man behind the machine be so attentive to customers... or hopefully soon to be customers.

My fear is dropping it in sand or dirt. How would it fair? Is the knob sealed or serviceable?

Also, Data, do you have an official recommendation about water submersion? Swimming pool, kitchen sink, rain, etc?

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have dropped mine more than once.Nothing more than minor nicks on the body. No water submersion, but plenty of rain.
Dave, don't read this, as it might affect my warranty. LOL.