I HATE MY OLIGHT!!!

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had an s2r baton 2 when they first released. It was decent, then got tired of it once I discovered real lights. I gave it to my coworker who used it for around 7 months until it died.

The extreme advertising along with corny colors/designs, ugly LEDs, proprietary batteries, bad UI (IMO), and the fact they are heavily mass produced outside of USA is a no go for me.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have an olight sr mini I use quite often. It's not the greatest light but certainly not the worst. I tried to like some of the EDC options but really none of them were great and I had switch issues with the little s1 batons.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not necessarily saying they are bad lights, I've heard some great things and some bad, they just don't appeal to me like they do to others. I think if they spent the time and money they do on advertising/marketing and put that energy into building their lights better, than I might consider purchasing a well crafted product made to last. Companies who offer lifetime no BS warranties goes a very long way.

I have 4 Olights, all 4 I could do without. I hate the UI, I don't like or need multiple modes or disco strobe. Give me High and low, and sometimes a third medium mode on non-self defense lights. I don't like the proprietary batteries and cables. I have a supply of protected and unprotected 18650's, a charger in my edc bag. I can charge anywhere and have multiple batteries for each light. Keep it simple. I get suckered every once in awhile looking at their sales. Every time I've purchased, I have regretted it. Youtube is littered with people who get free lights to go over the specs and say how great the lights are. You have to dig through all of them to get an actual review from someone who isn't pimping them. There seem to be no 6 or 12 month hard use actual reviews. I have read that many people's favorite part is the "unboxing experience." My unboxing experience is ripping open a package and throwing it away. Olight's target audience seems to be people that are excited by the "unboxing experience," collecting every color and special edition of a light for light-duty use around the house, in their mom's basement or in the backyard. For hard, serious light use, go elsewhere.
The answer and remedy to that would be: Malkoff. Built like tanks, swappable drop ins, solid bodies, simple UIs. Made in the USA and customer service is impeccablly handled by the owner himself and/or his wife. Lifetime warranty too.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The answer and remedy to that would be: Malkoff. Built like tanks, swappable drop ins, solid bodies, simple UIs. Made in the USA and customer service is impeccablly handled by the owner himself and/or his wife. Lifetime warranty too.

I hate Malkoff's MDC mode switching, if you quickly use the light momentarily and turn it off, the next time you use it, it's going to come on in the next mode. Why the heck would anyone want that? My MDC AA has been sitting away in a drawer because I don't like unpredictable lights.

I hate Malkoff's MDC mode switching, if you quickly use the light momentarily and turn it off, the next time you use it, it's going to come on in the next mode. Why the heck would anyone want that? My MDC AA has been sitting away in a drawer because I don't like unpredictable lights.
Sorry I should have clarified. I was referring to the hi/lo head. The three mode heads… eh…

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. 3 mode is unnecessary along with ON time memory I hate switching through modes to get to high as well. Much rather see 2 mode MDC heads but I thought I heard he can't do 2 mode heads because Surefire has some type of patent on that which I think is BS. Anyway, the high/low on MD series is fantastic, however they are just too big to carry daily, for me anyhow. If he could scale down the MD2 to the size of the cr123 MDC it would be a phenomenal light. It's just one of those things where my perfect light from Malkoff does not exist. I would pay big $$$ for him to build me something custom but he won't do that.

Buff

Enlightened
I've heard of this Saturday night live thing but never watched it.

I've heard of this Olight company but have never owned one of their lights.

Dennis got mad and quit his radio show after deciding too many Americans are just too apethetic about too many things.
Why do i feel that your comment makes total sense.
Too many Normy Norm's and Norma Norm's

Buff

Enlightened
There is certainly a place for the 3 mode switched lights. You know when low is too low and high is to high then medium is just right. Or for us average people you know not bright but not dim 😂
The real fun is having lights with different systems. Using one with system "A" then picking up a different light with system "B" and having to remember which sequence you need to use is to me a bit inconvenient that's all.
Keeps me on my toes

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Whilst I own a few Olights, I don't EDC any of them. Some are fine flashlights (i5T) but IMHO they are all compromised in ways I don't like. I know that UI is a personal thing but I hate the many modes. Using most of them in an emergency would not be my choice. None of mine have proprietary batteries.

Buff

Enlightened
It makes sense that Olight makes flashlights but until i saw this thread my connection has always been their tactical pistol lights. And only because both my sons use them on several firearms.
I'm old school and use a flashlight in left hand revolver or pistol in right. Something about pointing a light and barrel at someone i may not want to shoot? Call me crazy

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Love my Olight M1T Raider.
Love all of my Olights.
None of them use magnetic charging.
It's a big reason why I love all of mine.

Buff

Enlightened
I notice most describe the light and or the model number but no pictures? I keep having to google them?
Example:
Love my new Manker MC 13 II, I recently purchase.
image.jpg

Especially the what i call dark earth color.

parang

Newly Enlightened
At the very beginning of my light journey, not knowing better, I bought a few i3Es (I sold all but one later) and a copper i5T only because I wanted something in copper and it was relatively cheap and available. After that, I learned about their proprietary hardware and bad marketing practices, the company was a nope ever since.
Today I use a much nicer copper Reylight in lieu the i5T and more capable small Sofirns replaced the i3Es.

trutekmendrones

Newly Enlightened
I have a Baton S2 (I think) that was gifted to me. When I got it about a year ago I decided I'd carry it and try it out. It didn't take long for the shine to come off that penny! Firstly, it's short. This means it is forever working it's way out of my pocket and either onto the floor or into some crevice in the chair I'm sitting in (I'm a little fluffy - don't judge). Secondly, it's frigging magnetic. That means you can stick it to things while you work and keep both hands free. It also means that it will attract anything metal in your pockets, on your desk or in your storage tray. At first it was mildly annoying. Now I loathe this feature. Lastly; the UI SUCKS!!! I'm a simple man with simple needs. If I have a flashlight that has multiple settings, I want those settings to make sense. On/off is good, High/Low/Strobe is good. Low/Medium/High/Medium High/Turbo/Strobe/Low/High/Turbo/Low/Medium/High/Strobe/Turbo/High etc. IS NOT OK! I sends me into an frantic OCD attack that usually leads me into a fetal position weeping on the floor. And the light? Oh, it's merrily burning away BECAUSE YOU CAN'T TURN IT THE F@#$ OFF!!! If you do manage to get the correct combination of presses that will magically allow the light to turn off, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will never be the same again. But you can be certain it WILL turn on in your pocket, on High, of course, which you won't notice until you catch the faintest whiff of your clothes burning. Oh, and not to mention the hours of sleep I've lost remembering that I left the thing on the charger and had to get up and go unplug it because of their silly little predilection of bursting into flames every now and again. After a year of trying to like it, I'm done. Into the drawer it goes...hopefully it doesn't magically turn on and burn my house down out of pure spite.

People ask why Olight gets so much hate...gee, I wonder 😕
Hey everyone,

I'm new here but not to flashlights. I Just wanted to say a few words on my newly acquired Olight Perun 2 Mini. This is my first Olight and I am more than impressed on many levels. I run at night and this is my new headlamp I've been using. The 70 Lumen setting is all that I use because the TIR optic works very well for many small or large tasks.

The User interface and manual is so easy to understand and learn how to use this little gem of a light and all its capabilities.

Now, if Olight could just make a bigger mah battery to 950mah like the nitecore battery? That would further increase runtimes. These specs are impressive!

Attachments

• IMG_1641.jpeg
    IMG_1641.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 33