I HATE MY OLIGHT!!!

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
Not much love for Olights, myself. I got a right angle Zebralight a dozen years or so, ago. It was my first LED light. Very cool but I wanted more power, more throw! So I stumbled onto Olights and ended up with six or so. A couple I like, most I wish I hadn't bothered with. So I'm done with them. here's still an itch or two I need to scratch, and the Zebralight 53c Nietzsche is one of them.

The thing that really galls me is the need for proprietary batteries, when the ones they shipped with die. That won't again. So for the fans of Olights, carry on. I just need one more light after the Zlight and my quest is over. I think. Maybe. Pretty sure.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an S mini, was not a fan of it, the button was small, hard to locate by touch, and was pretty stiff, UI was ok, pretty simple 3 modes, it was a cold blue led in there. I never had issues OP has. I had it sitting on a shelf for a year or two, then i gave it to my brother in law. He liked it, he often hikes, camps, and he liked the fact that it was so small and light. Funny thing few weeks after he went home he messaged me saying he put new cell (cr123) in there and it does not work, he put it like he would into 99.9% of flashlights, positive end first, but in that light the cell is inserted backwards. it is one of few lights i've seen that is ground positive.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Olight R50vn Seeker (26650, XHP50) that I love. Huge bright neutral beam with a simple UI. Great country walking light.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
"here's still an itch or two I need to scratch, and the Zebralight 53c Nietzsche is one of them."

That guy likened conventional poetry to dancing in chains. Did not know he had a fan base in the flashlight crowd.

Good to also read about positive uses for Olight.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Baton S2 (I think) that was gifted to me. When I got it about a year ago I decided I'd carry it and try it out. It didn't take long for the shine to come off that penny! Firstly, it's short. This means it is forever working it's way out of my pocket and either onto the floor or into some crevice in the chair I'm sitting in (I'm a little fluffy - don't judge). Secondly, it's frigging magnetic. That means you can stick it to things while you work and keep both hands free. It also means that it will attract anything metal in your pockets, on your desk or in your storage tray. At first it was mildly annoying. Now I loathe this feature. Lastly; the UI SUCKS!!! I'm a simple man with simple needs. If I have a flashlight that has multiple settings, I want those settings to make sense. On/off is good, High/Low/Strobe is good. Low/Medium/High/Medium High/Turbo/Strobe/Low/High/Turbo/Low/Medium/High/Strobe/Turbo/High etc. IS NOT OK! I sends me into an frantic OCD attack that usually leads me into a fetal position weeping on the floor. And the light? Oh, it's merrily burning away BECAUSE YOU CAN'T TURN IT THE F@#$ OFF!!! If you do manage to get the correct combination of presses that will magically allow the light to turn off, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will never be the same again. But you can be certain it WILL turn on in your pocket, on High, of course, which you won't notice until you catch the faintest whiff of your clothes burning. Oh, and not to mention the hours of sleep I've lost remembering that I left the thing on the charger and had to get up and go unplug it because of their silly little predilection of bursting into flames every now and again. After a year of trying to like it, I'm done. Into the drawer it goes...hopefully it doesn't magically turn on and burn my house down out of pure spite.

People ask why Olight gets so much hate...gee, I wonder 😕
Put it next to the picture of the person that gave it to you and go buy a surefire or streamlight

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did not know he had a fan base in the flashlight crowd.
If there's anything hanging out here for near a decade has taught me, it is exactly that the 'flashlight crowd' is an absolute cross-sectional slice of the entire U.S. population. You're likely smart enough to know that too, KB:)

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
re: the i5R variants

Not unlike the M1T I bought, the i5R is an appealing proposition on the surface; however, as far as I can tell, according to Olight the only cells they support the use of in that light are AA alkaline, NiMH, "AA Lithium Fe", or the provided 2.4V cell. Therefore, since I would not personally support the use of my existing supply of 4.2 / 3.7V cells in such a light, it's much less appealing. At least the M1T supports my supply of 'standard' 16340 li ion 4.2/3.7V cells, so that is a critical differentiator.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
re: the i5R variants

Not unlike the M1T I bought, the i5R is an appealing proposition on the surface; however, as far as I can tell, according to Olight the only cells they support the use of in that light are AA alkaline, NiMH, "AA Lithium Fe", or the provided 2.4V cell. Therefore, since I would not personally support the use of my existing supply of 4.2 / 3.7V cells in such a light, it's much less appealing. At least the M1T supports my supply of 'standard' 16340 li ion 4.2/3.7V cells, so that is a critical differentiator.

The i5R has more battery options, that alone gives it some appeal over the M1T. Honestly, I'm slightly surprised Olight didn't make the i5R only run on their 2.4V battery. I am curious though if anyone has tried a standard 14500 in one.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am curious though if anyone has tried a standard 14500 in one.
Oh yes - if it's crazy, someone's done it, rest assured! And if it didn't blow up right then and there, they'll swear it's OK.

As a pro, I guess I'll step up to the plate, as good pros do, and deliver the bad news many don't want to hear:

Mechanical fitment alone means absolutely nothing (zero) in electronics. Yeah, you can quote me on that!:)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes - if it's crazy, someone's done it, rest assured! And if it didn't blow up right then and there, they'll swear it's OK.

I'm going to have deliver the bad news that you seem to be assuming a bit much there. Plenty of people go out of their way to test out this kind of thing and report back stuff like "yeah it works, but you lose low mode" or "yeah it works, but I don't recommend it as it gets too hot, too fast" and even "yes it works and this is why it works and why it isn't recommended/supported by the manufacturer" like in the Zebralight thread.

You're right, mechanical fitment alone means nothing in terms of electronics other than "we can give it a shot". That's where the fine folks in these forums willing to give it a shot come in.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to have deliver the bad news that you seem to be assuming a bit much there. Plenty of people go out of their way to test out this kind of thing and report back stuff like "yeah it works, but you lose low mode" or "yeah it works, but I don't recommend it as it gets too hot, too fast" and even "yes it works and this is why it works and why it isn't recommended/supported by the manufacturer" like in the Zebralight thread.

You're right, mechanical fitment alone means nothing in terms of electronics other than "we can give it a shot". That's where the fine folks in these forums willing to give it a shot come in.
I assume nothing. Otherwise, everything you say is absolutely correct (and is what I reject doing), and your assumption that I am absolutely not one of those people is also absolutely correct. I'm also correct that some won't like what I said. See, we're fundamentally in agreement!

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume nothing. Otherwise, everything you say is absolutely correct (and is what I reject doing), and your assumption that I am absolutely not one of those people is also absolutely correct. I'm also correct that some won't like what I said. See, we're fundamentally in agreement!

Found a few Reddit threads so far, seems most people don't think it'll be good for the light to try a regular 14500 as they think it'll fry it. 1 guy did use it and stated it only operated on high mode. So not really worth it.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
Put it next to the picture of the person that gave it to you and go buy a surefire or streamlight
My 1L-1AA sees WAY more pocket time:love:

Attachments

• ZVTZd0h[1].jpg
    ZVTZd0h[1].jpg
    418 KB · Views: 95

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 1L-1AA sees WAY more pocket time:love:
I must say, mine is the overall 'best' AA-capable light I have, and the one I'd grab when it matters. I do run LFP123s in it most often for routine daily use for that extra little bit of firepower at the expense of run time, but in those cases time isn't typically a big deal to me - and there's always a backup cell for such occasions...or, in the words of my Grandmother: "What's time to a hog?"

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Just saw this thread. I have had a Olight Baton S2 in my pocket for almost 4 years now. Never had an issue and love it. It has been moved out for the new Arkfeld Pro, that gives me more options. Don't understand why the hate on the S2.

ninety9

Newly Enlightened
I have 4 Olights, all 4 I could do without. I hate the UI, I don't like or need multiple modes or disco strobe. Give me High and low, and sometimes a third medium mode on non-self defense lights. I don't like the proprietary batteries and cables. I have a supply of protected and unprotected 18650's, a charger in my edc bag. I can charge anywhere and have multiple batteries for each light. Keep it simple. I get suckered every once in awhile looking at their sales. Every time I've purchased, I have regretted it. Youtube is littered with people who get free lights to go over the specs and say how great the lights are. You have to dig through all of them to get an actual review from someone who isn't pimping them. There seem to be no 6 or 12 month hard use actual reviews. I have read that many people's favorite part is the "unboxing experience." My unboxing experience is ripping open a package and throwing it away. Olight's target audience seems to be people that are excited by the "unboxing experience," collecting every color and special edition of a light for light-duty use around the house, in their mom's basement or in the backyard. For hard, serious light use, go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
Olight used to send me "flash sale" notifications. They seldom had anything I actually wanted, and if I went to their site, anything I did want was unavailable. I got one of those multi-multi-mode lights once, and the options drove me nuts.

I don't remember how I got off their email list, but I'm forever grateful that I did.

It's encouraging to find that there are others who hold similar positions regarding ridiculous UIs. If only Microsoft would stop filling up their software with extraneous crap that I have no use for, and bells and whistles that only a programmer could love, the world would be a better place. I suppose they have to live, too, but DOS 3.1 did everything I wanted it to, and allowed me to control my own computer as well. Where would we be without planned obsolescence?

Off the rails again. Dang.