I have a headache!!!!

Showolf

Showolf

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone... My first post here, and I am asking for help. :ohgeez:

I work security "Night shift", and would like to purchase a small "1" led type light to break the darkness around the refinery I patrol. Something that could fit in my pocket easily, or even the palm of my hand. Here's my issue... I have been browsing the web for three days, and have seen hundreds of these white light led lights. I've seen one that claims to be a 9W Luxeon on ebay, and then come here and see it's JUNK... Then I go to ebay and type "Luxeon" into the search, and over 800 come up! I don't have money to waste on junk, and my purchase needs must be a legitimate good light. I am looking to spend $40 total including shipping. Possible $50 only if absolutely necessary. I know I can't expect a ridiculously bright/blazing light for this much, but it's honestly all I can afford. My workplace is extremely dark, so I want my little companion to possess a superior beam with good hot spot. I also would like the light output to be as WHITE as possible (Not blue, or tinted). The question is simple....

Light pro's --> What do I order when my paycheck gets here in two days?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS...................:popcorn:

Turbo_E

Turbo_E

Enlightened
well for $40 I recommend the Fenix LOD or LOP-SE if you can find one. uses common AAA batteries (LOP-SE) and the LOD can use reg AAA or 3.7V Lithium batteries.

http://fenix-store.com/index.php

the L1T (1 AA) or L2T (2 AA) would also be excellent choices if you dont mind a larger light with better runtime.

use "CPF5" for 5% off. standard shipping is also free.

BTW welcome to CPF. :)

Last edited:
Casual Flashlight User

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the huntlight (known for having pretty good tints)

Huntlight FT02 $31 (takes 1xCR123 or 2xAA cells)

http://www.jsburlysflashlights.com/cgi-bin/ccp51//cp-app.cgi?usr=51I729111&rnd=2601076&rrc=N&affl=&cip=217.42.253.254&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=huntlight_FT-02&cat=led_flashlights&catstr=HOME:led_flashlights

Battery charger $18.50

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1706971#post1706971

2x RCR123 Cells $16.50

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/140362

Bit more than $50, but a bright, reliable set-up, and you'll not have to spend another penny.

CFU

Paul6ppca

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id look at the lightflux,heres why,Has AA and 2 AA body,Run on a lion 14500.2 levels of light,(hi/Low)2AA will give long runtime ,uses recharg NIMH.If I needed 1 fairly priced light Id buy this.

The Liteflux has 2 modes click it on then turn the tailcap between low and high.Each has its advantages,both are nice.I have the jet and using a 14500 lion battery it is as bright as any single cell light I have seen.It also has one of the whites tint I have used.It can run on any AA battery.
Lite flux comes with a 2aa battery extender and will give longer runtimes..Personally id rather carry an extra battery for more Runtime vs a longer light.

Liteflux LF1 vs. Civictor V1
$55 vs. $30, but LF1 comes with 2AA body, is HA3, has a standard clicky with momentary vs. twistie, and 2-stages, and IMO it's more attractive
IMO, if price is ok, the numerous features easily justify the price difference.

Liteflux LF1 vs. Fenix L1P
$55 vs. $38, but LF1 comes with 2AA body, has a standard clicky w/ momentary vs. reverse clicky, and 2-stages
IMO, if the price is ok, the additional features are justifiable.

Liteflux LF1 vs. Fenix L1T
$55 vs. $45, but LF1 comes with 2AA body, has a standard clicky w/ momentary vs. reverse clicky, low level is lower than L1T (according to reviews)
IMO, the price difference is minimal and more than justifies the inclusion of an additional body and standard clicky.

Liteflux LF1 vs. Ultrafire WF602A
$55 vs. $20, but LF1 comes with 2AA body, has a standard clicky w/ momentary vs. reverse clicky, HA3, 2-stages, and UF 602A has occasional contact issues
IMO, if the price is ok, the numerous features easily justify the additional (over 2x) price difference, and I'd rather avoid sanding/modifications that seem to occur more often with the UF.

Liteflux LF1 vs. Huntlight FTA2
$55 vs. $45?, but LF1 comes with 2AA body, has a standard clicky w/ momentary vs. reverse clicky, and 2-stages
IMO, the price difference is minimal and more than justifies the inclusion of an additional body, standard clicky, and 2-stage.

Liteflux LF1 vs. Jetbeam Jet1
$55 vs. $70, but LF1 comes with 2AA body, has a standard clicky w/ momentary vs. reverse clicky, but the Jet1 has 3-stages and strobe, but Jet1s lately seem to have some issues
IMO, the LF1 has enough features and inclusion of the 2AA body to counter the additional stages of the Jet1 and I'd prefer to avoid the issues that the Jet1s have been seeing lately.

Last edited:
N

not2bright

Enlightened
WildChild said:
Have you thought about Fenix lights? I have 1 for sale that would maybe fit your needs. Better used with rechargeables:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1792723#post1792723

Showolf, this offer from WildChild would be a good setup for you. You can use standard AA batteries (rechargeable, lithium, or alkaline), it is quite small (about 1.5 times the size of a chapstick) and puts out plenty of light in the dark.

J

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest the Fenix L2T from Fenix-store.com.

It takes normal AA batteries, quite bright, glass lens, good coating, nice small size and two output levels. About $41 delivered with 'CPF5' discount.

Or if you can wait a month, the new Cree version of this torch, the L2D CE.
Over twice as bright and lots of brightness levels including strobe. It's looking like it will be around your $50 mark.

(Cree LED's are the latest. Twice as bright for the same battery power.)

Or, if you want something cheaper, go to Lighthound.com and get a 3AA Maglite LED torch for $24.

B

Bearcat

Enlightened
curtis22 said:

I second that recommendation. It sounds like you are going to be really using your light a lot and will need something with rechargeable batteries. I bought my SL Propolymer 4AA Lux for around $26 and it comes with a life time guarantee and is very bright. You might want to try some of those Rayovac Hybrid batteries and chargers that you can get with those $5.00 off coupons.

qip

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
what about the Coast lenser at lowes

FatTony

FatTony

Newly Enlightened
Go for the Streamlight Propoly, it has a lot more throw than the Fenix which makes it far more practical for outside patrols. I have a Fenix L2T also but keep that as a reserve light just in case something should happen to my Propoly.

LightScene

LightScene

Enlightened
I recommend you get something real cheap for the time being and wait for one of the new Cree powered lights that are beginning to pop up. They will really meet your requirements.

The 2AA or 3AA MiniMagLite LED might work as an interim measure. The 3AA is brighter and the 2AA is smaller. They've been as cheap as $16 at major hardware stores and are also available at Walmart.

B

BMRSEB

Enlightened
How about for $20 the AAP 3W? Very similar to the Lowes TaskForce 3W light for $10 less! It uses readily available and inexpensive C batteries. I have it and it's a decent throw'er for the money.. Plus, Advance Auto is currently running a special on batteries "C"'s included, I think 8 for ~$5.

Last edited:
selfbuilt

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
As recommended, the 4xAA Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon is your best choice for furthest throw, although it is a little bulky and has only one mode (screaming bright).

My preference for a good all-around multi-stage light right now, until the brighter Cree-based versions come out, is the Fenix L1T/L2T (or slighly cheaper LxS family if coating and tint matter less to you).

Advantage with both of above is you get to stick with common AA batteries. Note the MagLED lights aren't bad choices for general use, but the 2AA model drops to zero output with virtually no warning, which may not be suitable for you.

Newuser01

Newuser01

Enlightened
Okay, +5 on Streamlight Propolymar 4AA Lux - version.

I have one and if I should loose it, I'm getting another one.
  • Very bright.
  • Loooong run times.
  • Cheap to feed. (Alk, Nimh, Lith, Even dollar store batteries)
  • Life time warranty.
  • Yellow or black (easy to find)
  • Tough as nails.
I'm using mine with Nimh batteries and they last all day of use. But for you, I would suggest that you carry a spare set of fully charged batteries with you.
You can get it for about 25 clems which is really cheap considering what you are getting. Lots of Fireman carry them on their helmat with attachments.

Look for it here. Becarful to pick the lux version of it where streamlight makes all different kinds.

[email protected] Led 3AA also is pretty close to PP Lux in brightness but does not throw as long. It gives you more in a spill. Its carried by major depatment stores such as HD, Wally's and Target. Its just over 20 bucks. If you will be carrying spare AA's with you than this would work well too.

Goodluck!

Last edited:
L

lightinsky

Enlightened
Please do yourself a favor and go to Target and purchase the Inova XO3 which is about 50 dollars and has a 3 Watt Led in it and runs on 2 123A lithiums. Fenixes or maglites are also great. Also :sold: if you don't want to buy via mail order go to Target and get the X03. Inova's are built extremely well.

LightScene

LightScene

Enlightened
It looks like your headache may be worse after you read all of these suggestions.

Newuser01

Newuser01

Enlightened
LightScene said:
It looks like your headache may be worse after you read all of these suggestions.
Yheah! And and and .....Empty wallet, constipation and going blind :lolsign::lolsign::lolsign::lolsign::lolsign: Not to mention your wife/girlfriend not talking to you anymore:sold: