I Have TOO Many Flashlights

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd agree that decent and pretty OK guy are apt descriptions. 🙂 My Better 3/4s would use more positive adverbs, but she doesn't read CPF and I'm OK with keeping it real. 😁
I was just being 'reserved' with my praise. You (and her) get the benefit of the doubt. I figure your 'better 3/4' has a more complete picture.

My Better 3/4s would use more positive adverbs
I know you correct grammar even more than my Mom did, and you both usually get it right, but did you possibly mean 'adjectives'? I'm not sure I should be privy to any adverbs; that sounds too personal;-)

I was just being 'reserved' with my praise. You (and her) get the benefit of the doubt. I figure your 'better 3/4' has a more complete picture.

I know you correct grammar even more than my Mom did, and you both usually get it right, but did you possibly mean 'adjectives'? I'm not sure I should be privy to any adverbs; that sounds too personal;-)
Do you mean I checked, but still got it wrong? :yellowlaugh: Shucks!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see...
I'm not a member of those forums, but I am members of others for all kinds of topics that do have rules about discussing values. Not saying your experience is wrong at all, just that I've also seen the other kind. I think the "why" depends on the site owners. From what I can tell it's some combination of:
-They don't want people to get incorrect or useless info
-Don't want someone to get taken advantage of
-No noob accounts selling stuff outside the classifieds format
-Don't want people running informal auctions
-No circumvention of account perks (such as, when you have to be a paid member to buy/sell or ask for appraisals)
-Couple boards I'm on just want people to do their own original research for reasons

As far as eBay, it has its flaws but I also wouldn't have a collection or part of my income if it didn't exist. Been on it since 1998. If you have a functional account, you can go into Selling Research/Product Research/Terapeak and do a 3-year search. It also shows actual Best Offer selling prices and deleted auctions that you don't otherwise see.

And speaking of that, it's easy to complain about their fees but if you have no other practical way to find a buyer for your whatsit it's a livesaver. Nothing wrong with taking home $100 on a $125 sale if your alternative is putting it in a box for 20 years.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
No little Monocroms running around.
(That's by choice.)
Most of my relatives are in the Old Country.
Apparently I have about 14 cousins??
With the exception of two Aunts who I haven't seen in many years on my mom's side, along with two first cousins (same situation), yeah.... No one to pass on my massive collection of lights, knives, and to a much smaller extent; watches. The other family members are all complete strangers. And, given the circumstances why; they can stay that way! I do have my best friend of nearly 35 years, but he's literally a few months older than I am. Heck of thing when you start to get old.

He's not interested in lights, nor knives. Plus, I think his Ex.-girlfriend gave him a good watch. His next GF became his wife. And got him a better one. Many long years from now, I'll make a deal with him since he's more tech. savy. Likely open up an e-store on eBay. My lights, his know-how and management of said store. Split the profits 50/50. Honestly, best solution.

If you have any material related to the police flashlight industry, toss a little mention of me in the ol' will, good buddy. :poke:

overload1

Newly Enlightened
Fair point about eBay
Your correct a platform to sell and buy
I was not bashing eBay itself
I think, was it worth 20$ in your pocket OR present someone with something they would never buy
Some do not have the funds
Some wives would kill them if they spent that kind of money on a flashlight, knife,watch
Some do not now about the items

Funny story 28yrs ago I and a coworker -we were into Surefire and we transferred from a company and went private with the owner
Soooo we gave him an e2e - he thanked me and insisted he pay for for it and stated he appreciated the thought but still wanted to pay
I told him 75$ - and he quickly responded FOR A FLASHLIGHT- Within weeks he would see me around and asked multiple times for me to get him a few more maybe total 8?
We are still at that job 28 yrs later

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have TOO many flashlights.
The important question is "How many flashlights is 'too many flashlights'?".

Is this too many flashlights: :D

(Damn that picture is more than 5 years old and now I have even more of this lights... I need to update this picture :-D )

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need a bigger bowl. 😂
Yes the bowl is today far too small for all my HDS lights.

But I made this bowl long time ago in school, 7th grade if I remember correctly. And the result is really cool for a school kid, even for an adult. Than this bowl was lost for a long time (almost two decades). My mom found it somewhere buried in some storage Place some time ago and I got it back, finaly ... Therefore this bowl always deserves as much HDS lighs as possible.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fair point about eBay
Your correct a platform to sell and buy
I was not bashing eBay itself
I think, was it worth 20$ in your pocket OR present someone with something they would never buy
Some do not have the funds
Some wives would kill them if they spent that kind of money on a flashlight, knife,watch
Some do not know about the items.
You can't think of it as "just $20."
Folks with eBay accounts sell multiple items. It all adds up.
No one goes on eBay to sell just one or two items.
It's a legit form of income for many.

Older neighbor of mine has a collection of HART brand power-tools.
I asked him about it. He told me he's not a contractor. Just wanted some power-tools that could easily do the basics. One of his multiple power-tool sets from HART cost literally as much as one Impact Driver from Milwaukee. He knows his HART tools aren't as good for prolonged use as Milwaukee. But then again, he's not looking for power-tools designed for prolonged, heavy, daily use.

When he mentioned how much his HART tools cost compared to that Milwaukee, another neighbor actually said, "It's only $200." The neighbor with the HART tools decided not to get into it with him. It's not just a one-time, stand-alone amount. It's cumulative.

If I need something I buy it. Though working in Security I've met more than a few knuckleheads who never bothered to do that. I have no respect for such individuals when they could afford to get what they needed, but simply refuse to spend the money. Perfect example: One significantly older in-house security guard who was still working at Marymount Manhattan college 11 years ago. Had the mispleasure of meeting him. He was so dense he couldn't even realize when I was showing him respect by letting him have the seat at the main desk, while I stood on my feet for the entire 8 hour shift near the main doors. Actually told me he didn't appreciate what I had done. What the hell?!

I later learned his backstory from other guards. Apparently when he was born, his father who was Head of Maintenance at the college realized his son was too stupid to make it in Life, without a major amount of help. So, that's what he got! Dad brought him on-board. Got him a job there. Showed him how to take care of the systems and equipment there. Fast forward about 30 years, son is now the Head. When the college decided they needed security guards, they hired them directly and horribly over-payed them. Guess who decided he'd rather do nothing but direct students, while still getting his full-pay with 95% less effort. Yup! Guy has literally worked in one place, has a massive pension he doesn't actually deserve, and when I came along for training, he showed me the main theater....

Then he pulled out a cheap $3.oo Rayovac single-AAA Penlight, and tried to shine it from the top of the balcony, down to the main stage. He looked utterly ridiculous doing that. Then advised me to get a light just like his. It was pathetic. And, the disgusting skirt-chaser who looked like Santa Claus was even more pathetic.

Not having the funds is a different story. But keep in mind that this hobby of ours is one of the cheapest in existence. There are good budget alternatives out there for those a bit strapped for cash.

Sorry, but if a guy got married to THAT type of wife.... That was his major screw-up. A wife like that will still give him crap about it. She absolutely will.

That last one used to be a good reason. Not in the age of the internet when literally anyone with a cellphone or a computer can educate themselves regarding what's out there. Just takes a bit of effort.

Personally, I used to be more generous in the past. While some were appreciative, many others; weren't! Heck of a thing when you gift something with real value to someone who needs it, then a few weeks later is laughing and joking around with you how they lost it in a really stupid manner through their own carelessness. It's hilarious to them! Not so hilarious to me. Especially when it's a co-worker. Nowadays I'm more selective whom I gift a light to.

Brokenarrow

Newly Enlightened
But does anyone REALLY know where all of their torches are?
I still have 2 that have been eluding me for months- Fortunately they are just Olights from my early days so they are not missed......

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I still have 2 that have been eluding me for months- Fortunately they are just Olights from my early days so they are not missed......
In storage boxes somewhere behind me in my bedroom, in my work-bag, or in the trunk of my car. Not counting the handful scattered within easy reach in my apartment.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I have moments at times where I go, I have way too many flashlights. Then my immediate after thought is, that I need to put them to use. So I rotate them through my daily carry. Unless of course its a light mounted to the wall in the house at a specific location.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I do this as a service for the low price of 25 bucks per light I'll take your lights . Act fast if you send me 110 bucket I'll take 5 of your lights

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know where all mine are at. Although according to my Amazon purchase history I should have a total of 3 Fenix E01s but only have 2... but I bought them years ago so its whether or not it got misplaced during when I moved.