i need a 1 cell aa light!

Mr. LED

It arrived today actually. It’s very nice. I very much like the tint. My previous exp. with 4000k was Malkoff and the Zebra is a noticeable upgrade from that (95 vs. 80CRI). Balanced beam. The feel of the side switch is pleasant and quite ergonomic, I’m used to tail switches. The UI takes some getting used to for me, but it’s much much better than I expected and the 3 modes are very well spaced. The 80Lm medium is perfect for me since that’s what I’m used to from the M61WLL. The light gets ridiculously bright (for an AA) at almost 500lm, but luckily that can be programmed down to 350 for better runtime. What I don’t like is the "short click it starts in Hi, slightly longer for low", that’s a little fiddly (and eliminates it as a bedside light for me). Overall, probably the best AA light I’ve tried, but I haven’t tried that many compared to other folks here.
You can program the G6 and/or G7 modes so that a short click turns on in any mode you want (moonlight). You can use it for bedside without fear of burning your retinas in the middle of the night.

Olumin

CPF Supporter
I tried that but the "6 double click to enter programming mode" doesn't seem to work for me, it just switches between L1/L2, H1/H2... Doubble clicking after that just goes back and forth and tripple clicking just turns it off.
What could I be doing wrong?

Last edited:

Mr. LED

From off, click 6 times to go to G6 (or 7 to G7). Single click from off to turn on high mode. With the light ON, double click 6 times (it will cycle between H1/H2), on the 7th double click it will start increasing brightness on every double click. Triple click will cycle backwards (decrease brightness), you’ll need it to go back to moonlight. Stop triple clicking when you want to keep that level (a few seconds later the level is saved on memory, or if you single click to turn the light off). It’s simpler than it seems.

Olumin

CPF Supporter
Thanks. You have to excuse me, the most complex interface Ive had to deal with was an olight baton. Im used to most of my flashlights simply going on/off. With your explanation I was able to set it up the way I want: single click to Medium, double for high, and long press stays low. For some reason it diddnt work before, I think I waited too long.

Timothybil

I like my Lumintop Tool AA 2.0. Four light lives that are reasonably spaced, acceptable tint. tail clicky with reversible clip. It will work with either a single AA or a single 14500, with a large increase in output. One can also get a magnetic tail cap as well, either by itself or as part of the initial purchase. Mine normally sits on my nightstand, but goes with me when I leave the house. It also has a GITD ring around the reflector, and if one is using a 14500 cell there is a light in the tail cap as well.

Stress_Test

Well I did a LOT of looking around at various 1AA lights. There's a bunch out there, but nothing really moved me that much. Though I'm a bit interested in trying something with one of the latest/greatest emitters to see how it compares to the best I've got (XM-L2 or XP-G2 in Quarks). I suspect that in a 1AA format (NiMH) it's not that big a difference.

The options do start narrowing fast once you impose a few restrictions, such as tail-switch only (no side switches!), only 3 modes at most, etc.