i tried my energizer micro on a 14500

Barrie

Enlightened
i tried my energizer micro on a 14500 and it survived :twothumbs

it was -5c this morning over here in Scotland so thought i would try the micro on a 14500 and see how it coped
i was out walking my 3 dogs and run the micro for 30 minutes and boy was it bright it didn't get as hot as i thought it would but that was probably down to the low temperature don't know if it will last in warmer conditions any one else tried

Last edited:

Barrie

Enlightened
hi
TorchBoy and kramer5150
i lost the on-off and ramping up and down light lit up when i put the 14500 in
pressing the on off switch gave a hi and low and i could put the red leds on at the same time so not very practical
i just tried it for fun
put a AA in and it is working as normal so no damage done but i don't know how long it will live if subject to 3.6v for a longer period
Barrie

Barrie

Enlightened
done another 30 minutes this morning and it is still OK
compare it with my fenix LD10 both on 14500
on ceiling bounce not a lot difference to my eyes
out in the woods the LD10 throws further as you would expect
but the little energizer gives out a lot more flood light

d1337

Enlightened
Hmm... I'm all for putting 14400 or 14500 in stuff but I would be a little worried strapping something to my head that might vent exploded, vent with flame or melt and fuse with my skull. That being said, thank you for the risks you have taken in the name of science. :cool:
P.S. Be careful about not thinking that it's getting too hot. Often times lights without good heat-sinking don't get hot on the outside until things have gone horribly wrong on the inside.

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened
hi
TorchBoy and kramer5150
i lost the on-off and ramping up and down light lit up when i put the 14500 in
pressing the on off switch gave a hi and low and i could put the red leds on at the same time so not very practical
i just tried it for fun
put a AA in and it is working as normal so no damage done but i don't know how long it will live if subject to 3.6v for a longer period
Barrie

Remember, 14500's are actually 4.2v...