I want a dual channel 18650 charger...

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
Looking through different threads most very old I see mentions of the Pila IBC and Fenix ARE-C1+. These appear to be older discontinued products as I can't find a link to the manufacturers. You'd think Fenix's own site would be helpful but no.

Can anyone advise on any specific currently in production product they know of that supersedes the above two items? Other choices of similar quality would be appreciated, as would links to manufacturers and reliable vendors.

FWIW, I'm leaning towards a Fenix choice as I like the digital readout, though I'm not married to the idea. I'm looking at a couple of 21700-powered lights too, so if a charger does both safely I'd be interested. Things seem so much simpler with NiMH. :oops:
I'll continue down the Google bunny trails, but it's frustrating not being able to find current information on current products, especially when there so many choices. I mean it's great that somebody has a 1975 Frigidaire or Kenmore that hasn't skipped a beat, but I won't be in the market for one unless I get a Way Back machine. Plus they don't make 'em like they used to. So any current info is greatly appreaciated.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
2010 called and it wants its chargers back.

The Pila was once 'the king of the hill,' but things have changed.

It's funny that you would single out those two?

Chris

fuyume

Enlightened
The 2021 Fenix catalog lists new USB-C versions of their charging cradles, but they are not yet available in the US. I just now sent Fenix a message asking when they expect to be shipping them.

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
I recommend the Nitecore UMS4 Battery Charger.

It's a four bay charger and charges several types of batteries.

I use it to charge AA, 16650, 18650 & 21700.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the Nitecore UMS4 Battery Charger.

It's a four bay charger and charges several types of batteries.

I use it to charge AA, 16650, 18650 & 21700.
Same goes to the UMS2 (two-bay model) but I read that the USB Micro-b receptacle is not very durable and will break off after prolonged use. Which is why I've held off getting the UMS2 for tries/testing.

Talster

Newly Enlightened
Same goes to the UMS2 (two-bay model) but I read that the USB Micro-b receptacle is not very durable and will break off after prolonged use. Which is why I've held off getting the UMS2 for tries/testing.

A friend of mine had both models (UMS2 and UMS 4) and they both have the same micro usb port, and one day the inside of the USB port detached when he removed the USB cable from the charger.

He got it replaced under warranty, and this one he leaves the USB cable in place and doesn't remove it, and its been fine and he's owned the replacement longer than the other one that broke. Shouldn't need to be done, but prevents the wear and tear.

I think Nitecore needs to get this issue addressed or change the USB type on their USB chargers. Personally I prefer having the figure 8 AC ports on chargers, than the less durable micro usb ports.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can still find the well regarded Xtar VP2s on Ebay.

All three chemistries and 250mA/500mA/1A charging voltages. Being 12v, it can charge off of AC, solar, or in your car, with the appropriate 12v cigarette adapter, which generally come with the charger.

I have three of them and while I default mostly with a 4 bay Opus BT-3400 and my sturdy Maha C-9000, I have a soft spot for the VP2, which is a safe and excellent Li-on charger.

Chris

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine had both models (UMS2 and UMS 4) and they both have the same micro usb port, and one day the inside of the USB port detached when he removed the USB cable from the charger.

He got it replaced under warranty, and this one he leaves the USB cable in place and doesn't remove it, and its been fine and he's owned the replacement longer than the other one that broke. Shouldn't need to be done, but prevents the wear and tear.

I think Nitecore needs to get this issue addressed or change the USB type on their USB chargers. Personally I prefer having the figure 8 AC ports on chargers, than the less durable micro usb ports.
Many mfyers, such as Xtar, have implemented USB-C ports on their charger products but compared with the older USB Micro-B input there seems to be of little advantage (except for high-power multi-bay chargers). However, it is the underlying USB receptacle design, not the USB connector type, that needs to be amended. In other words, even if Nitecore updates the USB connection to the newer Type-C the very same receptacle breakage can still occur, if the underlying connector design has not been reinforced. Xtar seems to have done a better job with the USB ports on their charger models, and that even with the older Micro-B receptacle I have not experienced any breakage issues on such charger products that I own (eg. VC2/S).

Meanwhile the figure-8 AC ports are not as robust as you might expect. Some time ago I purchased an Xtar X2 charger (w/both figure-8 AC and USB Micro-B inputs) for a machinist for his LiIon charging needs. He somehow "managed" to charge a substandard 18650 battery and ended up shorting (?) the charger while connected via the figure-8 port. As a result the internal electronic PSU got fried (and the AC input fails as well), but the Micro-B connection still works, even though the overall charging speed has dropped drastically. The charger has been sent out for warranty claims (as we speak).

As for the UMS2/4's Micro-B receptacle issues, I've asked a few vendors and was told the problem should've been fixed on later product batches. Whether this holds true remains to be seen......

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can still find the well regarded Xtar VP2s on Ebay.

All three chemistries and 250mA/500mA/1A charging voltages. Being 12v, it can charge off of AC, solar, or in your car, with the appropriate 12v cigarette adapter, which generally come with the charger.

I have three of them and while I default mostly with a 4 bay Opus BT-3400 and my sturdy Maha C-9000, I have a soft spot for the VP2, which is a safe and excellent Li-on charger.

Chris
The VP2 is an all-time favorite despite its MY2022 discontinuation. However, it has suffered from some QC issues, namely the rear USB output (under powerbank mode) which is unstable and can disconnect intermittently, and the rear slide switch (for switching cell termination voltages) which can act iffy. Previously I've procured two NOS VP2s on eB but none of them are perfect as they suffer from the aforementioned issues.

I too have a few Opus C3400/3100s and mostly default with them for LiIon charging/refresh, but they are incapable of 0V activation revival of grossly discharged cells. So when 0V reactivation is necessary I simply revert to my Xtar chargers.

Meanwhile the C9000/Pro are strictly for NiMH cells. I won't trust the Opus to charge any NiMHs. I have both the original C9000 and the newer Pro model and they all work great.

Talster

Newly Enlightened
Many mfyers, such as Xtar, have implemented USB-C ports on their charger products but compared with the older USB Micro-B input there seems to be of little advantage (except for high-power multi-bay chargers). However, it is the underlying USB receptacle design, not the USB connector type, that needs to be amended. In other words, even if Nitecore updates the USB connection to the newer Type-C the very same receptacle breakage can still occur, if the underlying connector design has not been reinforced. Xtar seems to have done a better job with the USB ports on their charger models, and that even with the older Micro-b receptacle I have not experienced any breakage issues on such charger products that I own (eg. VC2/S).

Meanwhile the figure-8 AC ports are not as robust as you might expect. Some time ago I purchased an Xtar X2 charger (w/both figure-8 AC and USB Micro-B inputs) for a machinist for his LiIon charging needs. He somehow "managed" to charge a substandard battery and ended up shorting (?) the charger while connected via the fighre-8 port. As a result the internal electronic PSU got fried (and the AC input fails as well), but the Micro-B connection still works, even though the overall charging speed has dropped drastically. The charger has been sent out for warranty claims (as we speak).

As for the UMS2/4's Micro-B receptacle issues, I've asked a few vendors and was told the problem should've been fixed on later product batches. Whether this is true remains to be seen......

@yazkaz Thank you, that is extremely helpful.

Last edited:

Talster

Newly Enlightened
As for the UMS2/4's Micro-B receptacle issues, I've asked a few vendors and was told the problem should've been fixed on later product batches. Whether this is true remains to be seen......
@yazkaz I think if I do get either the UMS2 or UMS4, I will play it safe and do what my friend does and leave the USB cable permanently attached to the back of the charger, therefore should save wear and tear and possible failure of the USB port. Thanks again.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if I do get either the UMS2 or UMS4, I will play it safe and do what my friend does and leave the USB cable permanently attached to the back of the charger, therefore should save wear and tear and possible failure of the USB port. Thanks again.
Actually, I disagree with your move. It is equally risky to leave such USB connection full-time (ie. with the cable dangling) while the connected equipment is not in use, which also complicates storage.

The USB Micro-B connection is already quite weak, even though on the cable connector side there are hooks to secure inside the receptacle. In the case of sudden jolt, shock etc. during equipment transport, and when such USB connection gets abruptly knocked off, wear damage can be inflicted on both the connector and receptacle sides. On the cable side, the actual plug connector can get bent (if not snapped) which is enough to ruin the entire cable, meaning a replacement cable is required.

Similar scenario goes to USB-C connection as well, even though such connection is supposedly more secure than with Micro-B. In other words, once the male connector side gets bent, it's over.

My suggestion is simple: always treat USB connections with extra care, especially during disengagement. With the equipment not in use, disconnect the cable in a straight direction (with respect to the receptacle's open side) while grabbing the cable's male head side (NOT the cable itself) securely. As long as you do this right but that the equipment's USB receptacle still breaks, you know it's not your fault but rather a bad QC issue, and thus such warranty claims will have to be validated.

Talster

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I disagree with your move. It is equally risky to leave such USB connection full-time (ie. with the cable dangling) while the connected equipment is not in use, which also complicates storage.

The USB Micro-B connection is already quite weak, even though on the cable connector side there are hooks to secure inside the receptacle. In the case of sudden jolt, shock etc. during equipment transport, and when such USB connection gets abruptly knocked off, wear damage can be inflicted on both the connector and receptacle sides. On the cable side, the actual plug connector can get bent (if not snapped) which is enough to ruin the entire cable, meaning a replacement cable is required.

Similar scenario goes to USB-C connection as well, even though such connection is supposedly more secure than with Micro-B. In other words, once the male connector side gets bent, it's over.

My suggestion is simple: always treat USB connections with extra care, especially during disengagement. With the equipment not in use, disconnect the cable in a straight direction (with respect to the receptacle's open side) while grabbing the cable's male head side (NOT the cable itself) securely. As long as you do this right but that the equipment's USB receptacle still breaks, you know it's not your fault but rather a bad QC issue, and thus such warranty claims will have to be validated.

Thanks for the info.
I always remove them like you have described but just figured the less I plug and unplug the USB, the less likelihood there would be of it detaching/breaking like my friend experienced.

WIth regards to storage, I have a set of storage drawers and planned on placing them in there out of the way, and they are completely empty, so no issue with storage or it been snagged/pulled out.

Thanks again :)

Latest posts