I want a light sabre-- not an eberhard faber

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
My "Wicked Extreme" will only get it up between 40 and 50 deg F and is unstable. anyone else encountered this problem? I have an accurate pwr meter and two other 'greenes' to compare with. maybe these 'laser light pens' are overated-- you may need one with a built in heat sink to get true green pwr over most temp ranges like an PGL III. I will have a "Jasper" in about a week to compare-- it has an auto temp compensation curcuit/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Naquadah

Newly Enlightened
My Extreme II is very stable , and I only power it on for about 60 seconds, take care with the duty cycle.
Cheers

Spec

Newly Enlightened
A pointer is a pointer is a pointer is a pointer.

No flashy buzz-words or pre sales jargon will make it perfect.

"Temeperature compensation circuit" sounds a lot like a hyped "thermally regulated dimmer" to me. Nothing short of forced cooling with light and temp feedback will give you the stable/high power laser I read as you wanting.

You could add all this, but its no longer portable. And if you wanted to make it portable say goodbye to a Amp or more of power being eaten by the fan/peltier combo. I have been beating my head and eating ibuprofen trying to figure out a reasonable way to add these into a PGL sized housing.

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, well I just found a brief spritzer of 'freeze spray' we nerds sometimes use to diag intermittent ckt boards or components works well to boost pwr-- just don't overdo it or there can be a rebound effect (acute power drop off).

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I know many people get good ones-- in spite of my moniker i'me not that lucky. WL will take it back with an 15% restocking fee I was not aware of, in my case that's 60 bucks. I am trying to get it resolved and will report back. My GE meter shows my new "Jasper" holds at 6mw so it is accurate. My other stock leadlight chimes in at 9mw most of the time.

DaFiend

Enlightened
That info on the re-stocking fee is on the FAQ page *i think*. Haven't scoped it out for a while.

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, got to be carfull on-line, I bought a phone accessory, it didn't work and their homepage said refunds no Q asked-- the time limit turned out to be 20 days (not 20 working days) from when order was placed-- took over a week to get it. Needless to say I won't be shopping there again.

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks DaFiend, I did a search on that page for "restocking" and found:

"Q: What if I have problems with my laser pointer?
A: We guarantee all our lasers for 90 days. If you have a
problem with your laser within that time frame, send it back to us, we will send a brand new replacement back no questions asked; we'll even pay for the Express mail. The only The only exception is we discover evidence that the laser was disassembled."

and ...

"Q: What are your return and warranty policies?
A: Our warranty period is 90 days from the date of product receipt. If there is any problem or malfunction with the laser, you may return it within 90 days to obtain a replacement. The replacement will be shipped free of charge using Express Mail. If you are not satisfied with our laser, you may return the laser within 7 days for a full refund minus shipping costs and a 0% restocking fee. You may return the laser for any reason between 7 and 45 days for a full refund minus shipping costs and a 15% restocking fee."

Hopefully ill get it straightened out with a replacement. Ill let you know. Thanks again mate. Sorry for the funkey formatting its me browser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
My "Jasper" is very stable at 6mw, but its larger diameter than an leadlight. Its about 2 centimeters. I have seen the feedback ckt work, as it adjusts to temperature changes.

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
Your point is well taken. From the bigha.com website:

Q: I've heard that green lasers don't work well in the cold — does Jasper have this problem?

A: All green lasers are sensitive to cold temperatures for a couple of reasons. The laser circuit itself is not as efficient when cold and batteries deliver lower voltage at cold temperatures.
Jasper's Optical Feedback helps minimize this problem by applying maximum electrical power when the laser output is dim or non-existent. Then as the laser warms up, electrical power is reduced. Lasers without Optical Feedback are designed to deliver a constant amount of electrical power. While the setting is sufficient at warm temperatures it isn't enough in a cold environment.

Even a Jasper will not start in extremely cold temperatures. You can overcome that problem by warming Jasper in your hand for a minute or two before using it on cold nights. Once Jasper begins operation, it will generate enough heat to keep itself warm."

It also has an 120 day warranty:
Is any sort of warranty offered?

Yes! Our products meet the highest standards of quality and we're willing to back up our claims. If your Jasper fails for any reason other than battery life or misuse/abuse, we'll gladly fix it or replace it within 120-days of purchase. You're responsible for postage getting it here and we'll pay to ship it back to you. If you have a problem give us a call at (541) 738-4340 and we'll work to get it resolved."

I think the "Jasper" is the Mercedes-Benz of legal power laser light pens. Its a quality product from what I have seen.

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
O.K So why don't replys come out under the thread replied to?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
luckytexan said:
O.K So why don't replys come out under the thread replied to?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

UM.. What do you mean?

Any way, the jasper does sound like a quality product, but dunno if i'll buy one one of those ones that look like...... well ..... errr. see
this thread and make up your own mind what they look like.....