I want to have a flshlight for hiking

DonL

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuen:
... UKE 4AA is a good light but a bit on the heavy side compares to UKE 2L, which use the same lamp module . I see no reason to avoid flashlight using 123A cell given that 123A are so cheap here...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, you lucky devil. "Cheap 123As". That makes many of us jealous.

I agree with the Q40 and 2L recommendations, especially the 2L if batteries are inexpensive. As mentioned, it would be a bit smaller and lighter, and an extra set of batteries would be lighter, too. Q40 with lithium AAs would be good, too.

I use an LED headlamp (Tikka) for close-up activities and late night reading. Petzl Tikka, Princeton Tec Aurora, or Black Diamond are all good choices.

My own hiking or camping lights are Surefire 2X123, Tikka, and Arc AAA. I leave a Surefire 8AX rechargable in the car to use the lighter socket for charging.

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Beware of these LED headlamps (except the one that with incandescent - same as Trident), its LED are not from Nichia and was only bright when new. It becomes much dimmer after a few set of batteries. My 2 LED clipper beats the 5 LED models quite a bit.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan, thanks for pointing out. My 5 LED headlamp does seems to be dimmer then my moonlight even when new. And then I find it's drawing 200mA! Do you know any source for Nichia LED in Hong Kong? I'm thinking of replacing the LED.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Chuen,

In Ap Liu Street, the electronics shops, the ones that have led samples flashing on the counter. A few of them have some so called Japan leds (as to the normal Taiwan or China ones) and they seem to be Nichia.

At least when I compare it to a real Nichia, it seems the same.

YC

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chan:
Great!Many suggestion comes up!
now.....I should consider a 4AA flashlight, since AA batteries is more popular among ourself.UKE 4AA seem great, but, am i need to buy another wide reflector?

PS:there won't be too many choice in Hong Kong.....only some popular brand's can be found here!
frown.gif
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't change reflector on UKE's light. I guess you got mixed up with Tec40. Anyway, all Tec40 I saw in Hong Kong are already with wide reflector.

When it comes to choices, most lights mentioned in this forum is available in Hong Kong even ARC AAA. Of course, many of them are overpriced except UKE. You could get pretty good price on UKE Q40, 4AA, and 2L.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuen:
Get a LED headlamp for area light. If you want to go cheap, those Tikka clone is a good choice. I just got a 5 LED version for only HK$55 (the 3-LED version sells for $38).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beware of these LED headlamps (except the one that with incandescent - same as Trident), its LED are not from Nichia and was only bright when new. It becomes much dimmer after a few set of batteries. My 2 LED clipper beats the 5 LED models quite a bit.

You might think that it's good deal for brightness of 2 LEDs in such price. Think again, it eats up its AAA battery like a real 5 LED light.

Alan

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> In Ap Liu Street, the electronics shops, the ones that have led samples flashing on the counter. A few of them have some so called Japan leds (as to the normal Taiwan or China ones) and they seem to be Nichia.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recall seeing some at HK$10 each, but they didn't say it's Japan LED. Are you referring to those? Or somethings more expensive? Are they listed as Japan LED? Anyway I could tell by looking at it? Thanks.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It seems that there are many ppl come from HK!
May I know what is the cheapest price for 1 123A cell?(which brand?)And where to get it?
Is the UKE 2L bundled with 2 123A cells originally?
Thanks!
I think I really should have a shopping at Ap Liu Street this week!
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Do you know is the Brinkmann's stuff selling in Hong Kong?I think I should also get 1 2AA for general purpose!

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of those 5 LED headlights @ $68 and I was told that with 3 fresh alkaline AAA batteries, it last for 68 hours.

Then I got one and turn in on. After 18 hours, the LED was still on but I just can not see where I am going.

Maybe, it is good for three to four hours. Anyone have some sort of scientific test as to the run time??

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chan:
It seems that there are many ppl come from HK!
May I know what is the cheapest price for 1 123A cell?(which brand?)And where to get it?
Is the UKE 2L bundled with 2 123A cells originally?
Thanks!
I think I really should have a shopping at Ap Liu Street this week!
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cheapest price I got for 123A is HK$9.50. You could get it at HK$10 each everywhere in Ap Liu Street. It's Panasonic brand.

2L is bundled with batteries. If it doesn't, you're being cheated
tongue.gif

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know is the Brinkmann's stuff selling in Hong Kong?I think I should also get 1 2AA for general purpose!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't find any of Brinkmann stuff in Hong Kong although its LX is made in Macau.

Alan

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
Alan

do u know the address of the factory in macau? perhaps I can go down there and check/

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if you know the factory, you won't be able to get it as they're not allowed to sell their customers' product. They're OEM factory for Brinkmann. Will they sell you a few lights to risk losing big customer like Brinkmann
tongue.gif

Alan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan:
The cheapest price I got for 123A is HK$9.50. You could get it at HK$10 each everywhere in Ap Liu Street. It's Panasonic brand.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you tell us the HK$ exchange rate compared to US$?

BN

snake

Enlightened
Hi,
all a sudden all the Hong Kong guy comes up!
for exchange rate, it is around HKD7.8 to 1USD.

for small camp light , I use PT attitude 3LED power by 4AAA. 1 more advantage is it share the same casing with rage , so you can change the set up you want.

1 question for me, any HK guy here found any good price for UKE light cannon?

thanks

snake

Enlightened
Thanks Alan,
those pricing in Hong Kong is crazy..some much cheaper then online store some just crazy!!! so I only order my strider knife online... Light Cannon suggest price is USD200, so retail should be lower than that..
but X990 seems to be good price in HK.
but I like Light Cannon can operate with normal C cell or you can change it with Nimh. but if you forget to charge X990 it can't work.. may be I just buy the HID set for car and power it with Nica sub C.. stuff all into a iron box and hang the light outside to made my HID light ha ha..

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snake:

1 question for me, any HK guy here found any good price for UKE light cannon?

thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't find LC in Hong Kong. Your best bet is to get it on line.

Alan

snake

Enlightened
Alan,
thanks ! your prompt reply impress me..
I think I will not buy a light online as someday I may need a replacement bulb and I don't wants to buy a replacement bulb with USD 30 paid to UPS...
enjoy your lunch
bye

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Is the 2L really a dive light?or just water resistance?
Is the cheap panasonic 123A's performance comparable to the duracell?
Excuse my curious!