ICON Rogue 1xAA Review: RUNTIMES, ANALYSIS, BEAMSHOTS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Is there a phone number given in the documentation for making a warranty claim? I went to the www.myiconlight.com/warranty from one of your pictures and the pages is no longer there. Even on its updated page (http://www.myiconlight.com/USA/warranty.html), I don't see any way to actually contact them for a warranty repair.
Good question ... I just checked the package insert, and no phone number is given for ICON (just a California mailing address and the www.myiconlight.com website). If it helps, here's the mailing address:

ICON
18300 Mt. Baldy Circle
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, finally got around to adding the Lo mode runtime on alkaline.

Icon-LoAlka-1.gif

Runtime is certainly ok - consistent with what I would expect for a PWM-based light. But it is not good as a current-controlled light at this output level (e.g. the Connexion X2 has nearly 2/3rds the output on low as the Rogue 1, but runs 3X as long). See my 1xAA round-up review for additional comparisons.

gollum

Enlightened
A great review
thanks for the time taken here

worlds first flashlight/veggie peeler ;)

lights-out

Newly Enlightened
I just went and got the ICON Rogue 2 from my local Radio Shack - aka "the Shack" and it is really really nice. I didn't really know what to expect, however, to me (just an average user) this light is well worth $50. They also had the Rogue 1 in silver - color looks great, but only 50 lumens compared to 100.

The "throw" on the light is actually really nice and the LED is very white.

Knowing that it is made by SureFire - it is a must have.

In fact, I am going to go back and buy some for Christmas gifts.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Well, well. Radio Shack. Who would have thought. That will give the ICON some exposure to the general public.

Bill

zven

Enlightened
Knowing that it is made by SureFire - it is a must have.

Note that these aren't actually made by SureFire. As far as I know, the only real connection between the two brands is Paul Kim as chief designer. In fact, I was under the impression that the Icon lights were made overseas...

And you found them at RadioShack? That's fantastic. I can't wait to see the Modus at common retail outlets...

lights-out

Newly Enlightened
I was under the impression that SureFire was making them based on all of the posts. I also checked out the address on the packaging and compared that to that of SureFire and it is the same.

Either way, Radio Shack has them. I didnt see the Modus, and the store manager didnt know anything about the Modus being in stores.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thay are at Radio Shack, and over the last few weeks I have bought a black Rogue 2 and a gray Rogue 1. I really like the look, size, shape, and UI of these lights. The regulation looks kind of odd, but I use my lights a little at a time, and it looks like that is what they were made to do!
:twothumbs

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression that SureFire was making them based on all of the posts. I also checked out the address on the packaging and compared that to that of SureFire and it is the same.

They're very much separate companies. ICON is PK's brand and isn't part of SureFire.

But, knowing that it's made by PK, it's still a must-have ;) Years of working with SureFire have given him a pretty good idea of how to make a flashlight.

Regards,
Tempest

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll just have to mosey on down to the Shack tomorrow. My wife needs a light to give me for Christmas. I seldom have reasons to visit there anymore, since they've practically given up on radios.

Geoff

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'll just have to mosey on down to the Shack tomorrow. My wife needs a light to give me for Christmas. I seldom have reasons to visit there anymore, since they've practically given up on radios.

Geoff

I missed the part about them being available at RadioShack.

I went in to get a gift card for my dad. (He loves the Shack. Don't ask me why).

Didn't see the light when I went in. Awhile later I went back because I remembered I needed a tube of Arctic 5 thermal grease to (hopefully) fix a looseness issue with a TerraLux drop-in. One of the guys behind the counter knew exactly where it was. He admitted he had no clue what it was for ... But he knew exactly where it was. (Damn that Arctic 5 is tiny!)

As I'm paying for it, I notice they have the exact same ICON Rogue that selfbuilt has reviewed in this thread. It was on a lower shelf, behind the counter. In fact, had the cashier stood a little to his left while ringing up my purchase, I never would have seen it. But I did ... And I had my credit card with me, so ... Well, you guessed it. :party:

Last edited:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Excellent review selfbuilt.

picked up an Icon 2 at the Shack tonight- the lanyard is a big plus....very unusual light. The very small machining rings have a unique feel. They had 2 2 cell Black and 2 1 cell tit. grey. Tint diff. observed in all three. I ended up going with the coolest 2 AA......there is a distinctive "rattle" in the clicky when you shake the light but otherwise seem solid. Lens could stand to be a tad thicker IMO.

Last edited:

Kif

Enlightened
I just bought a Rogue 1 form "The Shack".
Its a really good flashlight!
Does anyone knows if Rogue 1 can use the rechargeable Li-Ion battery (18650/18550 3.7v) without burning out the LED?

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Rogue 1 form "The Shack".
Its a really good flashlight!
Does anyone knows if Rogue 1 can use the rechargeable Li-Ion battery (18650/18550 3.7v) without burning out the LED?

But... Does it fit in the Rouge 1? :thinking:

lights-out

Newly Enlightened
So I decided to go back to the shack to buy the Rogue 1 and much to my surprise, they had the light on sale - $5 off and the Rogue 2 was $10 off. I was tempted to buy another Rogue 2...

Has anyone seen the modus available in a store yet? I saw them online at radioshack.com and I saw them on optics planet.