ICON Rogue 1xAA Review: RUNTIMES, ANALYSIS, BEAMSHOTS and more!

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
Don't understand what you mean by 'use wires'. Do you mean jumpers to the leads for testing purposes? I mean, the 14500 is a tad longer than a standard 1.5v AA so it must be making good contact...

Size15's

Flashaholic
Don't understand what you mean by 'use wires'. Do you mean jumpers to the leads for testing purposes? I mean, the 14500 is a tad longer than a standard 1.5v AA so it must be making good contact...
Yep - you could experiment with 'jumper leads'. Perhaps this extra length some other factor is preventing contact?

aim54x

Newly Enlightened
I was quite interested by the adverts for the ICON lights that I have been seeing on CPF and then after reading this thread I think I will pass on one.

BTW....are they available in RED or is Size15's sig a teaser?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that Kwalker has brought it up... I've observed the following:

The Rogue 1 will not work with the AW black label 14500, being that this is a flat-top battery.

I tried using an AW supplied magnet of the proper diameter on top of the batt. No go, due to the combined length of the protected batt, plus the magnet... the head can't make electrical contact with the body.

Fortunately, I had an old (really old!), unprotected, generic blue label 14500 with a solder blob on top, which not only worked, but gave a slightly brighter output than the Rogue 2 on two Energizer lithiums! :party:

Perhaps I'm being a bit slow, and should know the answer immediately, but am left wondering what reliable, well performing button-top of true AA length to get... protected or not. Is there one?

Given no other answer, I'll go with what AW offers in an unprotected 14500. The magnet should be kept from sliding around by the recess (a.k.a... the mechanical polarity protection) at the pos. batt connection.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I was quite interested by the adverts for the ICON lights that I have been seeing on CPF and then after reading this thread I think I will pass on one.

BTW....are they available in RED or is Size15's sig a teaser?
If retailers want to order other colours to the core colours then I'm sure there will be other colours. For now the red ones are proto-types.

Al :)

lumenal

Enlightened
Yep - feed them anything that fits - that includes using "14500 AA sized 3.6V Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery"
(obviously exotic [non-consumer] batteries should be treated with sensible respect)

15's - just for clarification.

Does the Rogue 1 and Rogue 2 share the exact same drivers and electronics?

Making the heads interchangeable between Rogue 1 and Rogue 2?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
15's - just for clarification.

Does the Rogue 1 and Rogue 2 share the exact same drivers and electronics?

Making the heads interchangeable between Rogue 1 and Rogue 2?

Size15's has reported several months ago, and after discussion with PK, that the Rogue 1 and 2 have different drivers, and that the Rogue 2 is the only one that can use Li-Ion's safely.

Bill

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Bill! :) Long time no speak. Believe it or not, I'm planning to finally get back on the ball, and call Mr. M. for some technical questions about his kroll improvements (better late than never I suppose). And, thanks to VanIsleDSM's FETtie switch, one of my previous ideas has possibly been given new life. Things haven't been conducive to modding these days, but I still haven't forgotten this project!

Hate to say it, but your answer to Lumenal has me confused. I may have missed something about them having different drivers, but only recall it mentioned that the Rogue1 can take a 14500 Li-ion. I believe the Rogue2 will :poof: on 2 X 14500. Could be wrong there, but it would take a buck/boost with a pretty wide Vin range.

Lumenal - don't try two Li-ions in the Rogue2 quite yet... lol.

Just my suspicion, but I'm betting both the 1 and 2 share the same head.

EDIT: I have 1's and 2's, but haven't tried interchanging the heads. Recently made use of Icon's excellent warranty service, and don't want to push my luck.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Hate to say it, but your answer to Lumenal has me confused. I may have missed something about them having different drivers, but only recall it mentioned that the Rogue1 can take a 14500 Li-ion. I believe the Rogue2 will :poof: on 2 X 14500. Could be wrong there, but it would take a buck/boost with a pretty wide Vin range.

EDIT: I have 1's and 2's, but haven't tried interchanging the heads. Recently made use of Icon's excellent warranty service, and don't want to push my luck.

I was wrong it was Tempest UK and it was the Icon Modus re Li-Ions. here Not sure if the Icon and Rogue use same circuits for 1 and 2.

Bill

lumenal

Enlightened
Bullzeyebill and Bimmerboy...thanks for the info.

To answer a question raised in this thread:
The Rogue 2 is a Rogue 1 with a longer body for a second AA battery. The bezels are the same.

According to CPF Wiki: bezel - the front of a flashlight; the part containing/surrounding the lens.

So technically, the bezel doesn't mean the entire head of the flashlight. Or does it? :thinking:

Yep - feed them anything that fits - that includes using "14500 AA sized 3.6V Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery"
(obviously exotic [non-consumer] batteries should be treated with sensible respect)

Good info to know.

I was thinking of using disposable 3V lithium AAs I harvested from Duracell CRV3 batteries in my Rogue 1. Looks like its a go.

Also, joeparker54 and myself have noticed a brief low microflash before the Rogue 1 ramps up to high, and only after a cold start, not when alternating - high - low - high - low, etc.

Any other ICONistas notice a soft start on their Rogues?

Size15's

Flashaholic
In SureFire terminology the 'bezel' is almost without exception the whole "head". The term 'head' isn't used except for describing the larger diameter bezels that extend the range of the beam: these are 'TurboHead' bezels

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Good old Wikipedia . . . There's a reason why teachers and college professors refuse to allow any reference or footnote from it on term papers.

lumenal

Enlightened
So we can run eneloop AA Nimh rechargables// in the Icons ?? Rogue 1& 2

I've run Eneloops and lithiums, seems fine, but:

I've noticed my Rogue1 starts flickering/strobing when the battery is measuring about 1.27v.

Everything is fine after installing a fresh battery.

Is this normal? Anyone else notice this?

lumenal

Enlightened
I thought funky flickering was one of the normal signs that a flashlight's battery(s) were run out of juice... :shrug:

Me too, but the battery still measures about 1/3 capacity left, and it will work in other AA lights.

1.27v seems to be a high minimum input voltage.

EDIT: Tried a battery with just 1.15v left in it, and the Rogue1 flickered and then fired up.

Its still running at 1.050v, which is practically empty.

Go figure...

Last edited: