If you only had one light?

tubed

Enlightened
Quark QP2A-X. My favorite light, yet oddly, one of my least used. It's a very all-purpose light, which makes me use it very little because I have many other purpose-specific lights. But without them, the QP2A-X would be very handy.

Ha - I also have a QP2A that I love and never use (for much the same reasons). I gave mine (with tactical UI) to my wife to use b/c it's basically only two modes (although I think, to her, its one mode). I take it with me when I travel some times however.

The ONE -light for me is clearly the Zebralight SC600. This light amazes me. It works for all my 3 major needs.
I need a bedside light for getting up a night with a Low-low that comes on first. But, I also need a back-yard blaster to check for critters when my dog goes out. Finally, I need something small and pocketable (not its best feature). This thing is not much bigger than my single CR123 Quark but can do all those things. Not quite an Every day carry, but could pass as a Most day carry. Truly an amazing light.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an SC-600 myself and but for the fact that it doesn't run on CR123As, it would be up there for my one light, as well. It's a bit bigger than my old V10R and now my newer V11R, but not a huge amount bigger.
I interpret the OP's post as being one light, period, going forward and if we're only able to carry a single model/light with us everyday, it has to be a smaller light, to my mind.

The ZL SC-600 is fairly small, has a great spread and while mine has a tint that is a bit too much 'sea foam green' at the lower outputs, I can easily live with that flaw.

The head is a bit fat, but it's probably my second choice.

Chris

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my bored out Surefire 9P. It can run on 2-AA's, 3-CR123A's, or 2-18500's with a varying array of Malkoff drop ins. It is a very versatile setup.

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
A question that has been asked a thousand times before, but I know my answer tweaks itself nearly every time.

At this current moment, hands-down -

Sunwayman V10R XP-G version.

AGREED! Though I'd slightly change and say that I'd go with the Sunwayman V10R with nichia that I bought from you! The light is great and as of RIGHT now it's my go to light.

Southernlight

Enlightened
This is a tough question, as the one light I'd like does not really exist.
I think this is true for many of our members.

The closest thing for me would be something like the SC52w but I like many others I would like a higher CRI emitter in that little beauty.
The Aeon is about the most useful small light I have ever owned.

Perhaps I will go with the SC52w for the sake of this thread and smuggle a Aeon as well. LOL :sssh:

Esko

Enlightened
The necessity of a good headlamp, or at the very least a torch that fits a headband nicely, seems to be the lowest common denominator. There are situations where you simply need both hands and a good light source.

Spark SD6-460NW + accessories

Keyword: versatility

+ Nice and useful modes from moonlight 0,5lm (runtime 3 months according to the manufacturer) to 460lm.
+ Full flood for working & general tasks, semi throw with changeable accessory reflector when needed.
+ Can be used as flashlight, headlamp, necklamp, with a pocket clip, has a magnet, can be attached to tripod etc. etc.
+ Simple UI, neutral white, a somewhat compact size.
+ I feel I can trust it. My SD6 has always worked reliably and according to the expectations.

K-Tex

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting…Keep them coming. Although I realize that there are many reasons for EDC ing a light, many of you are in the EDC camp, which to me speaks of portability and carry ability -because you want it on you at all times. We all may choose something different because it fits our life and our needs.

I like the idea of versatility. I don't want to carry a bunch of stuff on me.

I have been thinking about keeping the light at my bedside, unless I know I'll be away from the house in the evening, but returning it to my bedside. I've owned a Fenix LD20 and a little ThruNite TI. Both were handy, no pun intended. As far a versatile, I like headlamps too, except when the mosquitos are out, and they are flying all in your face. In that instance carrying a headlamp is too cumbersome. Handsfree function is a huge feature, however.

Got a lot more to say, but don't want to get too off track. I am about to purchase a light and may just need 2 for what I'm looking for, but I wanted to hear your personal choices and reasons before I threw out my criteria. Thanks for all your participation.

firelord777

Enlightened
I sometimes think about a hypothetical scenario where my wife tells me I have to sell all my lights, and I can only keep two of them.

If I could only have two, it would be my EDC (FourSevens Mini123HCRI) and my 6P with Z59 clicky and EDC+ XPG2 3 mode Triple.

If I could only have one, it would probably just be the 6P/EDC+ combo. Not nearly as EDC friendly, but it has extreme brightness (720 lumen high) and long runtime (30 hours on low) in one package. Not to mention, I can run it on either two primaries or one lithium ion.

Let's be honest, the real scenario is her asking you which flashlights you would like for your birthday;)

TRiley

Newly Enlightened
Without a doubt my HDS Rotary 200 is the best. It is hard to beat as and EDC and it is built to last.

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
If I could only have one light it would be my Zebralight SC52W with a 14500 3.7v rechargeable battery and titanium belt clip.

It will run on standard AA's, Lithium AA's, Eneloops but the main advantage of the 14500 is it will give 500 lumens for the first minute before stepping down to 280.

A very impressive light for such a small package, with a good UI, and because it is so small it's easy to EDC it.

My other lights that haven't come out top of my list for a 'Only one light' scenario are Surefire P2X Fury, Surefire Outdoorsman (Dual Mode), Surefire P6 LED, Surefire G3 LED, Surefire G2 (with KX4 Head), Malkoff MD2 with M361N, Olight i3 EOS and Nitecore SENS AA.

When compared to the above collection you can see how highly I rate the SC52W.

Now I'm looking at the Zebralight SC52W seems to be a great light! Thanks Dave

dss_777

Enlightened
If I had to select only one of my lights it'd be the Malkoff MD2 with high-low ring and the Delrin tailcap shroud with pocket clip. Two useful levels, compatible with Li-Ion rechargeables and CR123 primaries, and built to last. Beam quality is excellent and run-time is very good. The tail clip is surprisingly useful for pocket carry.

mamelo

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff. Which one would I choose? If I believe there is sufficient supply of CR123a primaries and / or 18650 rechargables I would choose my MD2 M61N with high/low ring. This is just a great light, easy to use, reliable, great beam quality and tint, good runtime, simply the best allrounder I've held in my hands so far.

If I envision I would have access to AAs only I would go for a Malkoff M31N L in a VME 2xAA Twisty or similar.

wjv

Enlightened
Torn between two:

Foursevens Mini-ML (which has been my current EDC for a long time)
- Reasonable throw
- Reasonable flood
- Good modes including a ~3.5L low and a very useable 216L high.
- Easy to carry in your pocket and forget it's there
- Easy to carry extra batteries

Might be my choice for an everyday life light.

OR

Fenix PD32UE
- Excellent combo of throw & flood
- Good range of outputs from 9L-740L with good run times at all levels
- Great tint with nice large hotspot
- Compact but at the upper limits for a pocket carry EDC

Might be my choice if I had to live in a world where most of my day was spent battling Zombies

I have to say that some of the new lights that can run on 1xCR123 OR 1xAA would also be a viable contender. But many of them seem to have less than superior run times.

Of course flashlights are just like many other things in life in that it is hard to find a "one size fits all situations" light.

Last edited:

Samlittle

Enlightened
My flashlight web search folder has just been expanded. I can't even begin to answer the question posed by the OP (though could give you some ideas about the "one knife" to carry - still that's an evolutionary and unstable situation too) but as regards flashlights, I've had to bookmark many of the suggestions presented in this thread and have bookmarked the thread too. Will have a long weekend of taking it all in. Thanks (I think) :D.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
It is just too scary to think of only having one light. Please stop this insanity.