Igniting Salt Water

R

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the reasons why I'm interested in the interaction of radio-frequencies with the H-O bonds is that I want to understand the mechanism by which such a low energy electromagnetic wave can break a bond. It might be able to explain certain phenomena in our universe.

WP

How does a microwave oven heat a cup of water?

RF radiation (RF is an EM wave) from the magnetron in the microwave oven interacts with water molecules in the cup.

Exactly how is energy transfered from the magnetron to the water in the cup? How does the RF interact with electrically neutral water molecules?

The basics of these things are pretty well understood and have been for quite a few years.

As are the basics of breaking H2O molecules electrically.

WAVE_PARTICLE

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does a microwave oven heat a cup of water?

RF radiation (RF is an EM wave) from the magnetron in the microwave oven interacts with water molecules in the cup.

Exactly how is energy transfered from the magnetron to the water in the cup? How does the RF interact with electrically neutral water molecules?

The basics of these things are pretty well understood and have been for quite a few years.

As are the basics of breaking H2O molecules electrically.

Microwaves have *much* higher frequencies than radiowaves and therefore by definition have much higher energy. This is why I have the burning question (pun intended) of how radiowaves can do this.

Anyways, this topic is dragging on. I want to thank Nerdgineer for contributing his thoughts on this. I found it highly valuable! :thumbsup:

jch79

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Donald,
:wave: It's great to see one of your famous discussion threads going on again! :thumbsup:
I wish I was smart enough to participate! :duh2:
:tinfoil: john

B

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Microwaves have *much* higher frequencies than radiowaves and therefore by definition have much higher energy. This is why I have the burning question (pun intended) of how radiowaves can do this.

Actually, microwaves are just high(er) frequency radio waves... A microwave oven uses, roughly 2.45 GHz, as do many celluar phones, WIFI networking (2.40-2.47 GHz), and home cordless phones too (1.9, 2.4, 5.8 GHz, and other, lower frequencies too).

The article did not say what frequency was used--but it was probably in the microwave range as lower frequencies just don't have as much effect on smaller objects (or water)...

-Bill