Illumination Tools Design - Strategos Intl.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
this is great news indeed. we all love new flashlights and companies!

will you also accept opinions and ideas on this thread? it seems it might be easier for both parties to do so.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
O.K., people, FYI: there is a thread running concurrently over at Strategos' board...Should I lock this thread, and move it to Cafe? Or should I leave it here for maximum exposure?

--dan

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Ken, I don't recall you answering this the 1st time I asked, so I'll ask again. Wouldn't suggestions posted here publicly be more beneficial to everyone, instead of private message to you?

nihraguk

Enlightened
this_is_nascar:

i think one of the reason he wants them private is so whoever messages him can be openly critical of other flashlight company's designs without starting a flame-war
smile.gif

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
You guys are the place to go...so here goes.

I regularly frequent this fantastic board to gain insight on what is happening in the world of lighting hardware.

Some of you may already know, I was the founder of the SureFire Institute, the tactical training division for SureFire LLC. The former staff of the SureFire Institute has formed a company, Strategos Intl.

We are quite familiar with the illumination tools best suited for use in the tactical environment and have now decided to develop our own Product Line that will meet or beat the current design/operational specifications of many of the products now in production, and at a lower price point. Not a bad way to enter the competition.

We will be aligning with a design and manufacturing firm that has all the components, design skills, and manufacturing capabilities to pull this off. It is an exciting opportunity for us and the end-users. We already have better lamps and excellent switching.

What I would desire, is private mail from interested parties detailing their personal requirements for the best design for this type of work. We are always listening, and hopefully always will be.

If you are interested in participating send me an email at: [email protected]

We are going to focus in on a few key segments, gain momentum and then march forth.
We cannot take it all on at once. We are hoping to have our first release in early 2003.

Respectfully,

Ken J. Good
President of Strategos Intl LLC
http://186thousand.com
http://888lowlight.com
Toll free: 1-888-low-light

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I saw the post on Strategos forum, but I wasn't registered there. Good thing you posted here too Ken, and Dano keep it open!

Here's my 2 cents: how about making a limited edition model from another exotic metal, eg magnesium alloy or titatium (if economically feasible) I'd love to going saying I have a magnesium flashlight - if for no other reasons than pure show off value.
wink.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Originally posted by nihraguk:
this_is_nascar:

i think one of the reason he wants them private is so whoever messages him can be openly critical of other flashlight company's designs without starting a flame-war
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That may be, but I'm curious how Ken will respond, if he responds at all.

SCampbell

Newly Enlightened
[...I'm curious as to how Ken will respond...]

Me too. Having been involved in the tactical operations business, on both military and police sides of the house, I know it is a narrow field that has no room for shoddy quality and lame designs. There have also been more than a few entrepreneurs, who began with grand ideas, fall flat on their faces when it became evident they could talk the talk but not walk the walk. Duffers need not apply in this business...

I understand Ken's desire (and purpose) to keep much of the correspondence private; but he also needs to keep the public side open as well, since he came out with a public solicitation. A secretive appearance breeds distrust.

Disclaimer: I am NOT hinting that Ken and his new firm are either incompetent or have a hidden agenda.

We should welcome his approach, as new ideas keep the game alive.

Steve

dougmccoy

Enlightened
As a Brit who frequents Both the strategos and CP forums and someone not employed in the tactical arena (well not now) I feel I must point out that I have written to Ken from both forums and had replies on both occasions.

I am not personally known to Ken but his reputation and integrity are known via his past exploits and his high standing in the tactical and security fields.

I genuinely believe that the guy will pull off his foray into manufacturing and would not have anything to do with half baked ideas or projects.

Ultimately only time will prove my faith in him and his abilities but I really think he may shake up some of the existing competitiors out there!

Respectfully

Doug

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Mr. Nascar,

I just spoke with Ken on the phone and his is unable to reply to your question above immediately because he is in the middle leg of a flight. He stated that he will respond to answer your inquiry again on this forum this evening.

He did in fact respond to your identical inquiry that you posted on the www.186thousand.com forum over 4 days ago and you apparently have not had a chance to read it yet.

For your convenience I have posted the link in which he replied to your specific inquiry and it is as follows: http://186thousand.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=001858 If you click on this link you can read Ken's reply. If it is easier I have also copy and pasted his reply to you below. It is as follows:

In public or private?

Public - That is kinda the point of 186thousand.com and candlepowerforums.com. A giant input/discussion machine on lighting products and issues. I monitor both extensively.

Private - Our company is going to finalize what to specifically build to take on X,Y,Z companies. Private input seems appropriate.

Just giving those that support our efforts, style, and commitment to the end-users an opportunity to give me their unique opinions through a more private communication method.

Not looking to generate hostility, just dialog in a specific manner. Choose to participate, choose not to. It's O.K. by me.

--------------------
Respectfully,

Ken J. Good
http://www.strategosinternational.com
http://888lowlight.com
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you have additional questions that I may answer for you in the meantime please feel free to post them here or you may privately email them to me if you are more comfortable with that method instead.

Cordially,

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
great.

first of all, in order for appropriate comments and suggestions, what type of product will you be specifically targetting? alkaline, lithium, spotlight, rechargable, xenon, led, halogen, hid...?

i am a big fan of leds...
grin.gif

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Off the plane and onto the Laptop!

There are many different types of communication.

Town Hall Meetings, Conferences, Broadcasts, One on One.

I see the Open Forum as a Town Hall meeting, a powerful methodology for exchanging ideas and concepts. I participate in quite a few Forums.

What I was attempting to do, is humbly ask for is one on one communication so to speak with those that are familiar with illumination tools that will be used in a tactical environment.

Given that as a basic foundation, I have already received numerous well-written, well-supported concepts for design consideration. Folks that regularly play in this particular niche already know what is available and what is useful/not useful. For instance, rechargeable batteries in weapon systems with current technology are out. Folks have pet preferences that they would like to see moved forward. I desire to hear from them directly (some have sent in 7 page documents).

Maybe somebody would like to start a completely new thread "List all the concepts and needed improvements for tools to be used in the tactical environment"

I am simply asking those that would like to correspond with me personally to do so. If they don't want to they won't. I am not trying to limit the discussion; it would be foolhardy to do so.

Being absolutely specific as to what we are going to bring forth, in what order and why would be a business bullet in the foot. This is not a hobby for us, it is a passion, and will be a viable business entity that keeps the end user in the forefront.

We have well established competition. We all enjoy competition and see the benefits of competition....I hope.

As our line develops and we get on the illumination radar screen, I know we will be subject to close scrutiny by you all! I will listen then as well, and hopefully keep the advancements moving forward.

Again, I am just asking, for assistance, not trying to start and Internet fire with the good folks over here.

I hope this helps. I also know I cannot please everybody all the time, so if my request offends anybody, I apologize.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
>>Being absolutely specific as to what we are going to bring forth, in what order and why would be a business bullet in the foot. This is not a hobby for us, it is a passion, and will be a viable business entity that keeps the end user in the forefront.<<

i was merely inquireing on what types of lights you plan to bring about. details would be nice, but at this stage, i understand that it could be compromising to your business. i don't see how saying if you would be selling lithiums or alkalins, or leds or incandescants would matter however.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I can't believe Ken is showing such dedication to hearing the end users' input in this new market entry. Pat on the back Ken.
That alone makes me wanna buy one... of whatever design it turns out to be.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
if anybody has read the posts in the past from ken, a modular weapons system will be first. then 2cell handhelds.

don't get so uptight! if you have something to say email ken. that's what the man asked for.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by LEDagent:
Uptight?! I'll tell you who's uptight....

...it's my wallet who's uptight.
grin.gif
tongue.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
yellowlaugh.gif
grin.gif
i've got that problem too. well, actually my wallet is wide open. that's the problem. my wife is the one that's uptight, when i buy another light!
grin.gif