I'm looking for recommendations for a long throw flashlight to keep by the door

pcortes

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just registered and this is my first post. I've been reading the forums for a while, but the amount of information is a bit overwhelming. I'm looking for a light that will make a person think the cops are behind them and allow me to see what's going on inside the car. Our neighborhood has had a LOT of break-ins lately (including my car), so now when my dogs wake me at 4AM I drag my *** out of bed and check outside. I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

1. I'll probably buy the flashlight online
2. I'd like to spend around $150, but I might increase the budget if needed.
3 & 4 I'd like a hand-held flashlight that's under 12", and I'd prefer a thinner body. The head(?) width doesn't matter though.
5. LED
6. I'd like a light that's ready to go out of the box
7. I'm not 100% sure whether I want to use disposable lithium, rechargeable lithium, or in integral battery. I'd like some advice here. If I go with an integral battery, it would be because I want to hang it in a wall charger.
8. I'd like a very bright light. Something that I could use to make it "daytime" in a car parked 1/2 a block away. I'd also like a red LED to preserve night vision and a lower level of light so I can see while walking around.
8a. I'd like the switching between modes to be very easy. I don't want to guess what will happen when I turn the light on.
9. I think I want more of a throw than a flood. I'm not opposed to a bit of flood, but a very bright throw is more important to me. I'd guess I'd be happiest with a narrow throw or turbohead.
9a. I'd like the light to be very bright at 100 yards.
10. The more runtime the better. The most likely use will be very short periods, but since it will be next to the door, it probably what I'll grab when the car won't start or whatever.
11. I don't know what $150 will buy me as far as durability. I'd like something that would be very reliable. Let me know if I'm not being realistic.
12. I'd probably prefer a push button, but I'd prefer to have a separate switch for selecting the mode (red LED, low power, high power)
13. At least two light levels and the red LED
14. I'm not too worried about the material.
15. I'd like it to survive rain and maybe dropping it in a puddle, but other than that, water resistance isn't very important.
16. I'll be storing it indoors
17. I wall charger would be nice, but it seems like there are far fewer options. I'd be willing to by the disposable lithium batteries if that's going to be the best for long periods of inactivity (maybe a week or two at most). I'd also be fine using rechargeable lithium, but will they self-discharge quicker?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
wait for the 2014 version of the Olight M3X. 1200 lumens so driven harder than the previous 1000 lumen version. throw is also proportionally improved. puts it on par with the Olight SR52

thin body. pure thrower. simple and reliable

no red led though. just get a separate light for walking around.

pcortes

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure I want to wait for the MX3 to be released. Any other suggestions? Opinions on thr Fenix TK61? The body is not thin and there's no red LED, but it looks like it might meet my other needs.

pcortes

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply overclocker. I thought I had made a thanks post earlier, but it didn't show up.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the Fenix TK41 (about $110 USD). 900 lumens on max, the ability to use AA batteries as well as Eneloops. The user interface is as simple as it gets, two buttons, one to turn the light on, the other to switch between the four power settings and a strobe if you hold the power setting button down.

Taz80

Enlightened
I believe Battery Junction has the new M3X in stock. Look at the Fenix TK32, it throws well for a single 18650 and has the red your looking for. Check out the reviews by Bigmac 79 and subwoofer.

tubed

Enlightened
i'd also suggest the Sunwayman T40cs. It's been my light-by-the-door light for 3 years. I use it almost every night.
Has the size and shape you're looking for.(but no red). About $120. There are lights with more lumens but the large head make this a real thrower and it has a great balanced but far reaching beam.
Tough as nails too - as i keep dropping it.

ven

Flashaholic
I would suggest the mentioned olight sr52,3x18650 and in built charger too so all good to go. Buy 3 decent protected button top cells for and good for long periods. Simple UI ,3 mode and good performance.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...3x18650-XM-L2-1200Lm-Built-In-Charger)-REVIEW

There is a modded version by vinh of which i have the sr52vn and a great light out of the box made amazing with 250+kcd due to a moderate boost and de-domed led which doubles and sometimes triples the kcd(light dependent). He backs his work up and has superb customer service(just another thought)

Review here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...18650-rechargeable)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS

I have a tk61vn with 600+kcd but do to size and realistically my use the sr52vn is my go to light:thumbsup:

Other than that check the supbeam(now acebeam) k40 out and again a k40vn which is his best selling light............for a reason. Excellent thrower,compact compared to other throwers.

Here is a pic i took a few week back,so scenario here...........someone broke into a motor,sr52vn comes out and i dont think they would drive far..........

No red led though but a filter could help out a little but would flood it.........

pcortes

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone for your input! I can see how a flashlight collection starts... No one light is perfect for everything. For the time being I'm going to order the new Olight Triton LM-L2 M3X 2014. It should meet my need for a very bright spot that will hopefully suitably scary. Thanks for the heads-up on Battery Junction having it in stock Taz80.

Capolini

Banned
Thank you everyone for your input! I can see how a flashlight collection starts... No one light is perfect for everything. For the time being I'm going to order the new Olight Triton LM-L2 M3X 2014. It should meet my need for a very bright spot that will hopefully suitably scary. Thanks for the heads-up on Battery Junction having it in stock Taz80.

Enjoy it!! It is a great light w/ great run time also.

Most of my lights are modded.I only have Two[2] in my Twelve[12] light rotation that are stock!! This is One of them! :thumbsup:

spearcrow

Newly Enlightened
Lots of great options here that won't break the bank. We've had some people breaking into barns as well around here. I try to keep an eye on one of ours that is close to the house, sort of...but it would be a lot easier with one of these. May have to check out that Olight.

pipes

Newly Enlightened
edit*** I found it, but are there actually 3 versions?

Hey, I don't see the new triton out anywhere yet, unless Im misunderstanding. There is a 700 lumen, a 1000, and is there also a new 1200?

Last edited:

GatorMedic

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK32. Has red LED, as well as green, blue, and of course white. 900 lumen max at 400 meters. Separate switches for on/off and mode selection. Thin body. Considerably less than your $150 limit. Seems like it checks off every item in your list.

Last edited:

delus

Newly Enlightened
GatorMedic is correct. Fenix TK32 is exactly the light you specify.

Wall chargers suck... electricity 24 hours a day when you can charge a battery in an hour. Wall chargers are a relic from Ni-Cad batteries. They will shorten the life span of lithium batteries. Here's how it's done.
1. Get two batteries. 2. Charge them both. 3. Use one of them until it's done, then switch with the fresh battery 4. Charge the dead one right away.
Step 4 is important, you don't want to overcharge or over-discharge a battery. If you take a "dead" lithium battery and sit it in a drawer it will over-discharge itself. When that happens that battery cannot be recharged again.
Charge your "dead" battery right away and it will be good for 500 or more uses. It will outlast your light, and maybe outlast YOU.